PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Water?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam172

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Water? Reply with quote

Lets start a little step by step look at this.

-Water is pumped by power.
-Power is usually in some form generated by the use of oil/petrol in some way along the line.
-Water is needed for keeping plants happy (don't want a coup d'etat by potatoes now do we?)
-Plants are needed to feed livestock / feed us

This was somewhat inspired by the recent dry spell here. The grass is turning more like hay every day, and if it weren't for the running tap water - our tomato plants would have shrivelled up and be somewhat dead by now.

It's all very well having a garden full of plants, but if it doesn't rain for as long as it's been here (what is it....2 weeks now?) won't you have a slight problem?

I mean, I'm not saying that there won't be water about. Just that I don't feel like taking a 30 minute walk to fetch water from the nearby creek every day. Let alone the weight of the buckets/containers. You'll need quite a bit of water remember.

You may say "Oh, but you'll have a water butt....or 5". That's true indeed, but at the current state of things - even those would be getting pretty low at the moment (remembering that you'll be needing water for everyday usage too).

I'll stop rambling now.
fishertrop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a valid point - when eveyone has turned over their gardens to essential veggie patches they'll all need to learn how to best manage water supply if their crops are to survive.

We get a lot of rain in the Uk, esp further north, we need to find ways to store more of it for the dry spells.

Of all the power uses in the UK pumping water must be about at the top in terms of priorities - I would think this would be the last to get serious disruption (last does not mean won't th...)

In some places I can see that you WILL have to be prepared to hump the water yourself from time to time.

I saw a pushbike once that pulled a two-wheeled tank behind - that could be useful...
broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: A 'wee' idea.... Reply with quote

I use Personally Instigated Soil Stimulant (as Bob Flowerdew calls it) on my plants, whenever possible (which is not often, since my allotment is 2 miles away). Obviously, it reduces the amount of water you need to transport, but it is also a good source of nitrogen for plants. When I was a kid, my late grandad used to put it on his lawn, diluted with 2 parts water, and his was the greenest lawn on the street. On the other hand, I didn't play in his garden much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: