PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powerswitch CD ROM
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Powerswitch CD ROM Reply with quote

Hello All, I thought I'd kick this off again:

For those who never saw it first time round, the idea is to post up links to media that might be good to put on a (powerswitch) peak oil CD ROM.

For example the powerswitch flash media peak oil introduction and the "Oil Peak Summary" by Mike Tooke.

The (US Republican) senator Roscoe Bartlett speech was another candidate for inclusion (I'll have to find the link to it).

There were other links posted to MP3 audio discussions.

If anybody is interested in handing out CD ROMs to help raise awareness then you can download and burn away!

If you have any ideas then please put them forward. And if you posted before, and can remember what it was, please add it again.

Now I've got to try and remember what else I posted...

GD Very Happy
fishertrop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"U.S. Congressman Roscoe Bartlett speaks about his speeches on peak oil"

http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/interviews/397

A grade-A peice of media....
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try some of the material here:

http://sydneypeakoil.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=36
grinu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This web site appears to have a valuable little booklet on how to prepare....http://www.inthewake.org/downloads.html
GD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Folks.

I'm re-posting the pre-virus attack material here:

[This is an edited re-post of a topic that existed before the forums were hit by a virus in June 2005. Please feel free to add comments at the end.]

Here's my idea for spreading the word:

Create an ISO for a CD-ROM based on the content of this website, for people to download, burn, and distribute.

100 CD's cost about a tenner.
100 Cardboard sleeves cost about ?4. (Shop.)

Anyone with a CDR and some time on their hands could make a load of them and distribute them in the local area; like the local library near the entrance (/ or any retailers?)

The CD could contain:
A startup web page to launch:
Flash presentation.
PO Primer.
FAQ.
More in-depth articles.
Web links.
Contact information.
Anything else you can think of.

NB - the only downer to this would be printing a cover on the CD and/or on the cardboard / paper sleeve. (Perhaps some sort of stamp could be made?)

I wouldn't mind doing it to start with.

You can create an ISO using a simple burning program like NERO.
(It is effectively a saved image of the CD that can be burned as is" and gives you the finished product. That can also be downloaded by anyone wishing to create their own (broadband permitting!)).

Best part is you already have 99% of the stuff you need!

GD
Very Happy
GD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[PV post]

Things to include:

An intro page which gives the same info as the flash intro, but with more detail behind it. (or your powerpoint slides peaky!?)

More in depth articles:
Historical ASPO newsletters / Contributions to ASPO e.g. Analysis Of the UK Oil Production.

Video / Audio media inclusion is also a bonus.
Could perhaps ask Aaron on peakoil.com if some of the media they have on site could be used?
(e.g. the Richard Smalley lecture would make a good inclusion.)

In fact, collaborating with others [wolf @ the door / PeakOil.com / eclipsenow / LATOC etc] could shorten the timescale for completion quite dramatically (I would imagine). We all have the same goals, after all.
A joint venture could contain 90-95% of the same material with certain customisations depending on where you are (i.e. it becomes powerswitch for the UK).

Perhaps there will be some papers / media to include after the coming Edinburgh workshop?

Sections on Forms of Energy (EROEI / energy density Table):
Oil
Nuclear
Coal
LN Gas
Renewables
Hydroelectric
Geothermal

Energy production capacity of each. (Current status / Historical status.)
Plants in UK / USA / World / India / China / OECD / non OECD / G8 / non G8 etc.

Table on world?s biggest energy users.

Alternatives (Stage of development (How long until viable)? Cost? Time to market? Fossil fuels required?):
Tar sands
Oil shale
Methane hydrates
New Nuclear
Pebble bed.
Breeder.
Renewables.
Nanotechnology
Hydrogen.
Biofuels.
Others...?

Uses of oil:
Fertiliser / Plastics etc.

Section on solutions:
Uppsala protocol / sustainable technology (Currently in use, proven) / Permaculture.

Further reading section:

Selected articles like this from today and any others we have posted on this site.
The oil we eat would be good.

Monbiot articles:
http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2003/12/02/the-bottom-of-the-barrel/
http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2004/06/08/losing-the-battle-with-entropy/
http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2004/08/23/living-with-the-age-of-entropy/

Club of Rome Limits to growth (short version)
Powerpoint slides on the limits to growth by Dennis Meadows
Maybe include:
Project Censored analysis
GD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[pv post ? more previous ideas cobbled together on here}

Rick Smalley's presentation:
OUR Energy Challenge power point PDF
(Goes with the windows media video above).

Mike Tooke's summary ought to be there, or maybe translated into html(?) for the introduction page.

And to show that even right wingers take peak oil seriously:
Republican Bartlett presents peak oil to congress: Windows media PDF

Heinberg's Party's over 16-page booklet

MP3's of Julian Darley talking about capitalism and the money system.

File this article under Nuclear:
www.greenfutures.org.uk/features/default.asp?id=2157
(This also appeared in energy bulletin). There's some good info in the bullet points on the right hand side also.

The Bartlett Exponential Growth video
GD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[pv posts consolidated]

fischertrop wrote:
Actually I wasn't at all convinced by the CDROM idea but given the interest on this thread perhaps I was too hasty!

If you haven't heard it already GPM's interview with Roscoe Bartlett at

http://www.globalpublicmedia.com/interviews/397

should be considered for inclusion on the CDROM (the audio rather than transcript) simply because both interviewer and Roscoe are very easy to listen to and get the message across very well (and it's easier to listen for an hour than to read a 5000 word transcript!)

Bartlett is a Congressman so he's used to presenting cases clearly which I think helps a lot in a subject that can be hard to gets to grips with.

Plus the fact he is a fully paid up US politician who even gets on the TV helps give the message credibility.

----------

I was thinking some more about the CD ROM idea, and I thought, rather than people buying blank discs, downloading the data, burning and labelling the discs etc - what if you got them made up like magazine cover discs.

For a start I'll pledge to have friends beta test the CD ROM for content / user friendliness / system fatal errors etc, and upon 1st release, buy 100 to distribute.

When enough people have pledged, you could make them in 1000's and make a small profit too.

I believe there is a digital media consultant on the team (?) who might know of one or two suppliers (?), and may have an idea of the feasibility of this idea, or could get some quotes in.

Cheers,
GD Smile

[end of Pre Virus attack posts, you may resume the discussion...]
tattercoats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: CD-ROM Reply with quote

Two things - firstly, you know you're going to need permissions to reproduce quite a lot of this kind of material? Sure you did. Just checking. Call me paranoid.

Secondly - somebody suggested video and audio media. How about songs? I happen to know a singer-songwriter with material on the subject. Obviously whomever collates/edits the project would wish to be reassured as to the quality and professionalism of the recordings. Again, all suitable permissions to reproduce, etc etc.

Now I'm off to put the kettle on. Really.
GD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps, don't forget we all have a common goal here of raising peak oil awareness, and all of the information is freely available on the net.

Also, it is not for profit anyway.

If there's anything that could cause concern, it need not go on there, as long as the main points are covered then the disc ought to serve it's purpose.

As for songs? Well that's not up to me...

(Mine's a tea... milk & no sugar) Cool
theeggman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea - I'd love to have something like this to give out, much more effective than stopping someone in the street and saying "Oh yeah, did I mention, life as we know it is going to change?".

Give us an idea of costs and I can make a pledge to buy some CDs as I don't have any facilities to download or copy CDs.
mclaren

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Separation of Material on CD Reply with quote

Can I suggest that the more 'professional' material that might be received and passed on in a work context:

e.g. presentations / overview of problem (ODAC) / Minutes or recordings of discusions in significant places / list of relevant newspaper story links / List of books / Precies of book / UK Energy Policy Documents / Future Conferences / Historical Perspective

is kept in a separate section on the CD from the other material which might grate with the unbeliever:

e.g. songs, apocalyptic speculations, Permaculture, Die Off website, SF books, stories about the CIAs interest, geopolitical speculations, Self Sufficiency, Local links for food, small scale farming, bush jokes, fair trade material, seed exchanges, plans to build your own cross bow, solar ovens. House price predictions, Inflation/Deflation debate etc

Thus the message and the cultural consequences are not intermixed. Most people are not keen to accept the cultural consequences (a return to folk music and morris dancing as significant pastimes!).
isenhand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should it have a section on what individuals could do to survive PO? I was thinking about communities and networks etc.

Smile

Technocracy:
http://en.technocracynet.eu

http://www.lulu.com/technocracy

http://www.technocracy.tk/
JLefrere

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://idisk.mac.com/lefrere/Public/SupplyDemand.html

A sneak preview of something I've been working on for James.

I'd be very interested in helping putting together a CD. Print, flash, video, I'm the helpful graphic designer to ask Smile
peaky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLefrere wrote:
A sneak preview of something I've been working on for James.

Impressive - elegant and clear. Well done. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: