PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the matter with the refineries?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peaky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: What's the matter with the refineries? Reply with quote

From today's BBC $66 report:

"The latest surge has been partly triggered by more than a dozen breakdowns at US installations, the latest of which hit a ConocoPhillips refinery in Illinois. "

Why are there so many of these ? Is it the heat? Is is just that they're going flat out without time for maintenance so that they can keep up with demand - does anyone know?
EmptyBee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I've heard: they've been going at 95%+ capacity for months now, and it's causing problems. I think I heard some speculation that the increased volume of heavy crude arriving at the refineries might be stressing the system too.
EmptyBee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an article about one of the more problematic BP refineries:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/4821190/detail.html

"A Houston Chronicle review of all incidents at BP's Texas City refinery in 2004 found that 22 occurred on that unit, where sulfur is removed from heavy crude oil. That is more incidents than any of the other 30 units on the 1,200-acre plant site that year"
fishertrop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I think it's cos they are mostly old plants and all running flat out - breakdowns will occur.

Having said that, it seems as tho a bunch of UK power plants are in a similar state of repair and workload.....
RevdTess

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just written a report listing all the US refinery problems. It does seem to be the high pressure desulpherisation units that are suffering. BP's Texas City refinery have shut down all four of theirs pending "top to bottom" inspection.

European refineries on the other hand seem to be just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: