PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PowerSwitch advert
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PowerSwitchJames

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: PowerSwitch advert Reply with quote

Okay, we've been toiling around in the background and for lack of better suggestions these are the best two designs we have for our quarter page black and white advert.

Advert PDF

Any thoughts, suggestions etc?

I quite like the image and I'm going to do some as A4 posters regardless.
isenhand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ? I can be a bit negative here? I don?t really want to, give the fact that you are putting in such a effort but they just don?t grab my attention the way they should. They come over weak and the sort of thing general purpose nutters would say.

?increasingly there are claims ??

That sounds like some one pushing for a face on Mars or UFOs ?increasingly there are claims that UFOs are real?. Just making a claim for something doesn?t mean that there is something.

The second add is better but ?could? is weak. We could be hit by a meteorite, what does that mean for us?

To me, if I saw those adds with no knowledge of PO I would ignore them.

If it was me I would start with something a bit more personal like ?you think petrol prices are high now? What will happen when the supply runs down?? Just as a suggestion.

Sorry to be negative.

Sad

Technocracy:
http://en.technocracynet.eu

http://www.lulu.com/technocracy

http://www.technocracy.tk/
Sam172

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the second one has a better grabbing power than the first. If people read 'Peak Oil' they may just gloss over it, but something threatening the future would have more pull.

At least, that's what I think.

May I ask whereabouts these adverts are possibly going to be placed?
GD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Isenhand, my preference is the 2nd add. I'd say be bold and say will peak.

I would also alter:

"... peace and the economy. No
easy fixes."

to

"...peace and the economy, with no
easy fixes."

Also, what would you think about this:

"Global oil production is struggling to keep up with demand.

Within the next few years it will begin to decline forever, posing serious challenges..."

My 2c. GD Smile
PowerSwitchJames

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback...it is all appreciated. I hold back from saying 'global oil production WILL peak' because we don't know, for 100%, that it will, although it would probably hold up in a court of law, but who knows...and maybe it would be good to get a case about this in court for the publicity...but maybe I could get away with 'Facts suggest that oil production will peak'.
Blue Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerSwitchJames wrote:
Thanks for the feedback...it is all appreciated. I hold back from saying 'global oil production WILL peak' because we don't know, for 100%, that it will, although it would probably hold up in a court of law, but who knows...and maybe it would be good to get a case about this in court for the publicity...but maybe I could get away with 'Facts suggest that oil production will peak'.

Surely a finite resource has to peak at some point (within a reasonable limited timescale)? Or is it "the next few years" bit which is the kicker?

Peter.
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say try both on a pilot scale, and try to measure the response from each one.

It may be better to talk of "fuel shortages" and "high prices". I think the reaction to the first may be "so what?" because it doesn't spell out what the direct consequences are.

Last edited by Bandidoz on Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
peaky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerSwitchJames wrote:
I hold back from saying 'global oil production WILL peak' because we don't know, for 100%, that it will, although it would probably hold up in a court of law, but who knows...

Surely this doesn't need to hold up in a court of law? Confused As Blue Peter has pointed out, "It's finite, so it WILL peak"; let's be bolder and go for something like GD's second text - perhaps changing "Within the next few years" to "Within a decade" which would seem to straddle both camps.
theeggman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the t/shirt logo "WAKE UP!!" it's very eye-catching if we could get permission to use it with the bell curve, etc.. Otherwise I prefer the second version but don't like the word "Could". Is this going in a newspaper?
SherryMayo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an idea for a "teaser" ad which I intend to print onto stickers - I have made up the graphic but haven't carried out my sticker campaign yet.

The sticker shows a slightly simplified version of the google search window with the bottom half of the Google logo visible (enough to identify it), the search box with the words "peak oil" in it (enlarged and bold text so the words are more prominent than on an actual google search page). Lastly, the words "Get Informed" in distinctly non-google font are added at the bottom - (a web address may be added also). I was hoping it might inspire people to type peak oil into google at least.
PowerSwitchJames

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're looking at it going in political magazines such as New Statesman or the Spectator.
Blue Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerSwitchJames wrote:

There is a problem with drawing people's attention to PO, and then it not happening in a reasonable time-frame.

Am I right in saying that originally people were predicting PO for the 1990s, or certainly by 2000, but then when it didn't turn up, the explanation was the oil price rises in the 70s damped demand, and so stretched the time out? Given that we may be headed for a recession, is there a "danger" (it's strange to put things in this way), that the peak may be pushed out again?

Is there any way of wording things which can overcome this?

Peter.
isenhand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original idea was put forward in 1956. I think then they were predicting 2000 but other dates in the 1980s and 1990 as well as 2010 and beyond have been mentioned.

How about this for a suggestion:

?Petrol prices high now? Global oil production is struggling to keep up with demand. Will prices get higher? Be informed! Find out!?

Then do the web pages.

Technocracy:

fishertrop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isenhand wrote:
The original idea was put forward in 1956. I think then they were predicting 2000

If you can get close when estimating from that far back with so many vaiables then you have done a pretty good job...

I think it's easy to over-analyze these kind of adverts

Unlress you are a professional advertiser you are not going to get it perfect.

When I looked at both those ads I thought they were initially ok - sure I could read each word carefully and think "hmm, well, X should really be Y" but if you are aiming to just generate enough interest to get people to one of the websites then I don't think you need to go that far.

Using a forum like this to refine the text and approach is a good idea but I wouldn't worry about getting it word-perfect, since everyone is different anyway and most readers of it will know nothing of PO, unlike us who are far more likely to critique it!

I bet if you did two completly different ads in the same publication - one a softly-softly-intrigue and one a shock-them-dead - that a load of readers would skip one and not the other.

How much do the ads cost to place and how big is the fund ??
isenhand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fishertrop"][quote="isenhand"]
I think it's easy to over-analyze these kind of adverts
quote]

Natural behavior for an engineer Laughing

Technocracy:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: