PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PowerSwitch PowerPoint

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PowerSwitchJames

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: PowerSwitch PowerPoint Reply with quote

Dear all,
This is a powerpoint I have been working on. If you can, please take time to have a look at this and give feedback. I've got a few bits I need to do to it, but I'd appreciate any extra comments at this stage.

http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/portal/images/stories/presentations/hightide.ppt

'Being green is not what you think, it is what you do.'
Keela

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James.

You have loads of information in that powerpoint! The graphs and pictures are excellent and illustrate your points visually - which always helps audience understanding of the situation and therefore their later recall of the details.

However, I am a little concerned that there may be too much here for a newbie to peakoil to digest all at once... but then that also depends on your audience.

My suggestion would be to make sure you don't have too many words on each page. This keeps the audience listening to you rather than reading ahead on the page.

I suggest you put some of the detail in lecture notes. Let the screen just gives the main issues. You can still give them the extra detail verbally. And give handouts afterwards to those who want the detail of the extra stuff.

This way you can keep the main message simple enough for those who need simplicity, yet also have hard facts available for those who really want to think deeply.

Also, for the child in all of us, go for a few more picture clips. IMO An image to focus on really helps. (Think how you can remember what you were looking at when something momentus happened - I can picture exactly where I was when I heard about the twin towers... images on the screen should not be underestimated, especially in relation to powerful messages.)

Finally I suggest timing yourself talking through the presentation. How much time do your audience want to listen? Better short and sweet & slightly lacking in detail than risking going beyond their interest threshold. Interested listeners will take the message on board & research more for themselves.

An introduction to peak oil should IMO be a platform off which you launch your audience towards further self-directed research. Leave them hungry!

Hey for all I've said, it's a good presentation NOW.... so please don't take what I've said as critisism. I lecture in FE. I know just how much work goes into producing and delivering a powerpoint. You are a brave man putting it up for comment!

Smile
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the version I gave at CAT a couple of weeks ago, took about 50 minutes.

http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/portal/images/stories//powerswitch_hightide_for_oil.pdf
Pippa
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who will you be talking to?
GD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, I hope you put this in to test us:

Quote:
With ASPO, the Peak Oil debate probably would not be happening

Smile

---

Slide 55 & 56 are the same.

---

Slide 104:
Jevon?s Paradox means that in times of abundance, increased efficiency brings the price down, meaning more people will use it, increasing the overall amount consumed and increasing living standards

After Peak, this does not apply and efficiency will be needed to slow rising prices

How about:
In times of abundance, increased efficiency would help to lower prices. In an economy based on growth, lower prices tends to translate to more consumption. Therefore efficiency gains do not necessarily mean lower consumption (Jevon's Paradox).

After the peak, when consumption can only decrease, this effect will help to dampen price shocks.

It is prudent to be efficient in your energy use, or if at all possible, independant of fossil fuels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: