PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global youth uprising
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Mark wrote:

Appreciate the population density is very different in the US, but there's still no way that the natural environment could support 327 million....
A non-scientific hunch, a few hundred thousand at best, maybe ?
Well the pre 1492 population of indigenous Americans in north America has been estimated to be as high as fifty million that used stone tool agriculture and hunting and gathering methods. I see no reason that similar population levels could not be supported in a post fossil fuel world.

Depends on the depth of the doomer rabbit hole involved. Peak oilers never really wanted anyone except themselves to survive, so they would have done great, because there certainly weren't 50 million of them who drank the Koolaid.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
As for your nanny-state, I can only speculate based on participation with UK peak oilers and some scientific participation with Brits, but kenneal-lagger would seem to indicate this as a high possibility based on his conditioned compliance as it comes to something as important as personal safety. To condition away such a fundamental biologic reaction is nothing short of amazing, and a credit to whatever system the UK uses to instill it in its...citizens.

I do not feel the need to take elaborate precautions over my personal security at the moment as, apart from certain areas mainly in inner cities, it is not something that the average UK citizen has to worry about.

That does not mean to say that I have not taken precautions for my security and that of my family in the future when I see a breakdown in law and order becoming more of a problem. Both my daughter and her husband are experienced users of firearms but on a range rather than rough shooting.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
As for your nanny-state, I can only speculate based on participation with UK peak oilers and some scientific participation with Brits, but kenneal-lagger would seem to indicate this as a high possibility based on his conditioned compliance as it comes to something as important as personal safety. To condition away such a fundamental biologic reaction is nothing short of amazing, and a credit to whatever system the UK uses to instill it in its...citizens.

I do not feel the need to take elaborate precautions over my personal security at the moment as, apart from certain areas mainly in inner cities, it is not something that the average UK citizen has to worry about.

Interesting that you even imply you have anything remotely resembling personal security, based on your past response to intruders, kitchen knives and playing ring around the kitchen table with them.

But generally, this comment sure feels like an assumption that the rest of the world goes to crap, but not those well conditioned folks on the island?

Considering how little you are permitted to even THINK about your personal protection, I am surprised you feel the need to withhold these insidiously clever self defense plans at all.

kenneal-lagger wrote:

That does not mean to say that I have not taken precautions for my security and that of my family in the future when I see a breakdown in law and order becoming more of a problem. Both my daughter and her husband are experienced users of firearms but on a range rather than rough shooting.

But of course! Kitchen knives for everyone! Knife fighting classes as well perhaps? Range time with even 22's is better than nothing, certainly.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am identifiable from my name and posts so wouldn't want to tell the whole world what I have or have not got.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
I am identifiable from my name and posts so wouldn't want to tell the whole world what I have or have not got.

I am less identifiable, but still keep defensive arrangements private.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:

Quite reasonable. I have always preferred the alternative of course.
woodburner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But of course! Kitchen knives for everyone! Knife fighting classes as well perhaps? Range time with even 22's is better than nothing, certainly.

22s are a lot better than nothing. A high velocity 22 will take down deer at quite a range, So dealing with people would be straightforward.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
Quote:

22s are a lot better than nothing.

Indeed. A few years ago I acquired a single action 22LR/WMR convertible revolver, and was quite surprised by the difference between even rimfired 22's.

I began speculating on how useful it might be to have a nice rifle chambered in 22WMR for just that reason. Would have been quite adequate for medium and maybe longer range groundhog hunting back in the day when I cleared out farmers fields as best I could as summer time target practice.

woodburner wrote:

A high velocity 22 will take down deer at quite a range, So dealing with people would be straightforward.

Indeed. When talking about high velocity 22's though for people, something else comes to mind here in America.

vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of no jurisdiction in the US that allows deer hunting with 22 rim fire ammo. While private butchers use them to brain shoot animals up to cattle anything less then a brain shot on a deer would lead to an escaped wounded animal that was not recovered. Even a shot that slipped between the ribs and struck the heart would not put the animal down before it had run hundreds of yards and hidden in heavy cover leaving no blood trail to follow.
That said I don't want anybody shooting at me with a 22long rifle as I'm nowhere as tough as a deer.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
I know of no jurisdiction in the US that allows deer hunting with 22 rim fire ammo.

Me neither. So what? We are talking about UK level armed defensive needs! In their vast lack of experience with real firearms, they are reduced to telling 22 stories. I was once this way. When I was 8.

vtsnowedin wrote:

While private butchers use them to brain shoot animals up to cattle anything less then a brain shot on a deer would lead to an escaped wounded animal that was not recovered.

Of importance to those of us who have fed our families with a rifle, less likely among those playing american-lite doomer with what experience they do have with a firearm. Good God VT, these people talk about hoping there is a kitchen knife nearby they can use when an intruder is discovered in the house, like they've seen to many Errol Flynn movies or something.

vtsnowedin wrote:

Even a shot that slipped between the ribs and struck the heart would not put the animal down before it had run hundreds of yards and hidden in heavy cover leaving no blood trail to follow.

At the age of 12 and 5 days this is exactly what happened to me with a 6 point buck using a 30-30. Except it ran about 1 mile, jumping 2 barbed wire fences in the process. So it isn't as though poor shot placement with only 22's is the issue here.

vtsnowedin wrote:

That said I don't want anybody shooting at me with a 22long rifle as I'm nowhere as tough as a deer.

No doubt.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:

vtsnowedin wrote:

Even a shot that slipped between the ribs and struck the heart would not put the animal down before it had run hundreds of yards and hidden in heavy cover leaving no blood trail to follow.

At the age of 12 and 5 days this is exactly what happened to me with a 6 point buck using a 30-30. Except it ran about 1 mile, jumping 2 barbed wire fences in the process. So it isn't as though poor shot placement with only 22's is the issue here.

Yes a deer that is barely hit with a 30-30 can run for miles and escape but the point is a deer well hit with a 22 can do the same. It makes no difference for a deer hit in a hind leg if it is done with a 22 or a 243 or a 300 Win mag or a howitzer. It still has three legs to go on and will go for miles. A 22lr on the other hand well placed in the chest can let the deer escape while any other common deer hinting round placed in the same spot will bring it down in short order.
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we have our x2 good 'ol American boys getting their kicks from sharing their gun toting stories yet again....
Over here, we understand that firearms have a limited role in society, but the US obsession (sickness ?) with them has done your country no favours and will continue to do more ill than good...
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
So, we have our x2 good 'ol American boys getting their kicks from sharing their gun toting stories yet again....

And what might you be using to repel gangs of youth uprising to make the world a little more of a level playing field by taking what they want from you?

Harsh words, and a stern look?

Mark wrote:

Over here, we understand that firearms have a limited role in society, but the US obsession (sickness ?) with them has done your country no favours and will continue to do more ill than good...

I completely agree that firearms have a limited role in society. And why some folks, like you Mark, and perhaps entire countries, really shouldn't trust their citizens to handle them.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about defending yourselves from youth gangs. In a few years Putin or his successor will take over the EU and having failed to Brexit you will go into their hands as well. Then the youth will be in Russian army units or gulags and you won't have any personal property or freedom to defend.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Don't worry about defending yourselves from youth gangs. In a few years Putin or his successor will take over the EU and having failed to Brexit you will go into their hands as well. Then the youth will be in Russian army units or gulags and you won't have any personal property or freedom to defend.

Oh now VT. You really think the folks we kept the Soviets from rolling over half a century ago have any appreciation for us? They have thoroughly conditioned their folks into being peace loving, anti-confrontation, "government uber-alles" types ready for exactly the scenario you mention.

So we'll have to save Europe all over again I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: