PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global youth uprising
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
fuzzy wrote:
And the buffalo are gone

Obviously you have never been to North Dakota. I woke up after a night of peaceful ninja camping while hitchhiking across the country on summer break in college within a dozen yards of a herd of the things. Most disconcerting.

The buffalo are gone...talk about continental buffoonery, I had a buffalo burger just this past summer. I'm betting it came from one of those beasts in that herd that scared the bejesus out of me, all those years ago.

The Bison went from 30 million before your hillbilly ancestors arrived
Down to 325 in 1884 after they'd noshed on them...
To 500,000 today.

Last edited by Mark on Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
Pointing out how us hillbillys took care of our protein needs is hardly arrogant. You got a problem with acquiring protein through the use of traps and a rifle?

My original point was that I was amazed that there is any wildlife at all left standing in the US.
I have no issue with controlled hunting, but is very much depends on the scale, the species being taken and the methods/weapons used.
In the US, firearms are totally uncontrolled, so are often operated by hillbilly idiots.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
Never killed a bald eagle, so while I am sure there are problems with them being poisoned, killed or generally mistreated, all of that is illegal, and don't dump off on responsible game hunters the acts of bad folk.

And of course I appreciate the US population density being what it is, our country was founded by folks who wanted nothing to do with rabbit warren conditions of those trapped on some little island.

Because there are so few bald eagles left, maybe ?
Hurry, whilst stocks last Very Happy

What we lack in space, we more than make up for in lots of other ways.....xx
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
fuzzy wrote:
And the buffalo are gone

Obviously you have never been to North Dakota. I woke up after a night of peaceful ninja camping while hitchhiking across the country on summer break in college within a dozen yards of a herd of the things. Most disconcerting.

The buffalo are gone...talk about continental buffoonery, I had a buffalo burger just this past summer. I'm betting it came from one of those beasts in that herd that scared the bejesus out of me, all those years ago.

The Bison went from 30 million before your hillbilly ancestors arrived
Down to 325 in 1884 after they'd noshed on them...
To 500,000 today.

Then obviously, they aren't "gone".

Having woken up alongside a herd of the beasts one fine morning, I already knew this, but thanks for proving it in a more formal way than my anecdotal story.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
Pointing out how us hillbillys took care of our protein needs is hardly arrogant. You got a problem with acquiring protein through the use of traps and a rifle?

My original point was that I was amazed that there is any wildlife at all left standing in the US.

You are allowed to be amazed I suppose, as long as you have never been here and had wildlife jump in front of you and wreck your car, needed to find some for dinner, or been attacked by them.

Wildlife management is generally about maintaining a population, not wiping it out. In Pennsylvania they succeeded so well that the hunting seasons have been expanding for decades now, to keep the overpopulation of whitetail under control.

Mark wrote:

I have no issue with controlled hunting, but is very much depends on the scale, the species being taken and the methods/weapons used.
In the US, firearms are totally uncontrolled, so are often operated by hillbilly idiots.

Firearms are thoroughly controlled. Have YOU ever purchased one here? Let me guess, you read somewhere that we don't have the things I KNOW we do (having purchased them) like forms, design restrictions, waiting periods, fingerprint and background checks, where in the world did you get the impression that they passed out to children at Halloween or Christmas? Taxes and application fees to the ATF, waiting periods extending into months.

What a silly idea, firearms are totally uncontrolled. Stick to topics you know something about, like your favorite Barbie dolls or something, and stay away from serious topics alien to you.

And yes, some hillbillys are idiots. Others knew that peak oil was a crock when entire websites full of the engineering and geologically challenged were pretending we would all be starving in the streets by now because of it.

So where does that put YOU in the hierarchy, considered what us idiot hillbilly's knew compared to fine folk such as yourself?
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
Never killed a bald eagle, so while I am sure there are problems with them being poisoned, killed or generally mistreated, all of that is illegal, and don't dump off on responsible game hunters the acts of bad folk.

And of course I appreciate the US population density being what it is, our country was founded by folks who wanted nothing to do with rabbit warren conditions of those trapped on some little island.

Because there are so few bald eagles left, maybe ?

Because...what? Bald eagles became endangered, like many species, and we began protecting them and making sure they would continue.

You have a problem recognizing that species are endangered and saving them? Bugger off.

Mark wrote:

What we lack in space, we more than make up for in lots of other ways.....xx

Indeed. Trump mini-me's being an interesting copy-cat move, but hardly an indication of progress.
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:

Having woken up alongside a herd of the beasts one fine morning, I already knew this, but thanks for proving it in a more formal way than my anecdotal story.

I didn't say they were 'gone' - scroll back - get your facts right - if you're going to insult somebody, get the correct target.....
But as a 'crack' marksman, you already know the importance of that......xx
Catweazle

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids are a little older, and have children of their own, so are interested in sustainable living and a future for the little ones.

I believe that many Americans are self-reliant, probably more-so than most Brits. This is a good attitude, I salute them for it, much better than our nanny-state-culture.
Little John

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd lay money on a significant portion of Americans fetishising self-sufficiency, but with an equally significant portion of them being nothing of the kind.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:

I didn't say they were 'gone' - scroll back - get your facts right -

Scroll back indeed, I didn't say YOU said it, there are others participating in this conversation. Maybe they know something about all the guns laws, restrictions and requirements in the US that you don't?

Mark wrote:

if you're going to insult somebody, get the correct target.....
But as a 'crack' marksman, you already know the importance of that......xx

Insult you?Did you not read the entire conversation, and, again, are ignorant of some basic information we've been discussing?

I am not a crack marksman. Never said that either, but you pretending you are the target of something is what, vanity? I have a target hanging in my office for my last "not even an MOA for 5 rounds" exercise. However, I have hopes of improvement!! In the interests of full disclosure, in my last steel match competition, I did manage to get into the top 1/3 of the field. Room for more improvement!!
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
I'd lay money on a significant portion of Americans fetishising self-sufficiency, but with an equally significant portion of them being nothing of the kind.

I would agree. I would agree even more heartily if we restricted the sample size to the old peak oil gang. Take about fetishizing survivalist nonsense.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
My kids are a little older, and have children of their own, so are interested in sustainable living and a future for the little ones.

I had kids later in life, so for my age, no grandkids yet.

I've raised environmentally conscious accountants apparently. The good thing about that is that it isn't oil and gas.

Catweazle wrote:

I believe that many Americans are self-reliant, probably more-so than most Brits. This is a good attitude, I salute them for it, much better than our nanny-state-culture.

While Americans once might have understood some semblance of self-reliance, as previously mentioned our younglings really don't appear well prepared in that regard.

As for your nanny-state, I can only speculate based on participation with UK peak oilers and some scientific participation with Brits, but kenneal-lagger would seem to indicate this as a high possibility based on his conditioned compliance as it comes to something as important as personal safety. To condition away such a fundamental biologic reaction is nothing short of amazing, and a credit to whatever system the UK uses to instill it in its...citizens.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark wrote:

Appreciate the population density is very different in the US, but there's still no way that the natural environment could support 327 million....
A non-scientific hunch, a few hundred thousand at best, maybe ?
Well the pre 1492 population of indigenous Americans in north America has been estimated to be as high as fifty million that used stone tool agriculture and hunting and gathering methods. I see no reason that similar population levels could not be supported in a post fossil fuel world.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also consider that there are some 93 million head of cattle in the US. Out on the western plains these would run wild in a post apocalypse scenario taking the place of the Buffalo.
As to the youth being unable to cope I find that while the majority have little if any basic survival skills beyond manipulating their cell phone they, when challenged by real problems, step up to the plate and muddle through and learn quickly.
My youngest is a middle school teacher and has this fall taken wheat I grew for her into class and had the students solve the problems of thrashing and grinding it into flour to make a loaf of bread. They have learned quit a bit. No bread yet last time I checked.
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that. People learn fast when they have to
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: