PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Losing the 'net
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A long term outage covering a large part of a developed nation would probably kill millions.
No internet=no food, apart from what you have already stocked, can grow, or hunt, or barter for within walking distance.
No internet=no oil, after emergency stockpiles have been used.
No internet=no money, apart from cash transactions within walking distance.
No internet=no grid electricity.
No internet=no natural gas supply, no urban water supply.
No internet=no modern medical treatment.

Exactly.

My wife and I have decided to regard the Web etc as a 'gift' or 'loan' ... which will go away within the next decade or so.

It could be wise to stick an old laptop in a metal box (for protection against EMP) and also fill a box with memory sticks and CDs containing old Encarta dictionaries etc.

A stack of medical and surgical videos etc would also be useful.

Also it is possible to obtain full copies of all of Wikipedia - could be worth ordering/making one of these as a reference library.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
Quote:
A long term outage covering a large part of a developed nation would probably kill millions.
No internet=no food, apart from what you have already stocked, can grow, or hunt, or barter for within walking distance.
No internet=no oil, after emergency stockpiles have been used.
No internet=no money, apart from cash transactions within walking distance.
No internet=no grid electricity.
No internet=no natural gas supply, no urban water supply.
No internet=no modern medical treatment.

Exactly.

Except we had all of those things without the net. Some of us even remember it! Heaven forbid, even participated in it!

I produced and sold oil without the net!! OMG! Same with natural gas. OMG!!

Remember stamps and twisted pair telephone cables? Can you BELIEVE that entire WARS were run with such things? I seem to recall that without the net, I had electricity!

Come on guys, how about a little seriousness on this topic. No way, with the heavily skewed population that exists within the remnants of the peak oil club, that you folks didn't live in this same world!

Vortex2 wrote:

Also it is possible to obtain full copies of all of Wikipedia - could be worth ordering/making one of these as a reference library.

Because....the world did away with all the ACTUAL libraries? And the mutant zombie bikers will be stopping regular folks from accessing them?
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who wants to know anything about anything from how to raise rabbits to how to dig a well to how to produce your own biogas to how to make your own pottery - and a million other things - should download cd3wd from this site.

https://canadianpreppersnetwork.com/cd3wda/

CD3WD is a massive collection of UN 3rd world development documents and tutorials compiled from the UN's archives by a man who used to work for them - Alex Weir - I got a copy of the CDs sent to me by Alex back in the early noughties and still have them

Alex sadly died back in the mid noughties and his site was taken over and sold off. But, a copy of his stuff is on the site I have linked to

Don't click on the "individual files" links cos they don't work. But, do click on the "zip files" links.

You'll need to start the downloads just before bed cos they will take all night.

All six zip files come to around 22 gigs in total. Like I said, the number of documents contained in them is truly massive. Decades worth of stuff.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
Anyone who wants to know anything about anything from how to raise rabbits to how to dig a well to how to produce your own biogas to how to make your own pottery - and a million other things - should download cd3wd from this site.

https://canadianpreppersnetwork.com/cd3wda/

CD3WD is a massive collection of UN 3rd world development documents and tutorials compiled from the UN's archives by a man who used to work for them - Alex Weir - I got a copy of the CDs sent to me by Alex back in the early noughties and still have them

Alex sadly died back in the mid noughties and his site was taken over and sold off. But, a copy of his stuff is on the site I have linked to

Don't click on the "individual files" links cos they don't work. But, do click on the "zip files" links.

You'll need to start the downloads just before bed cos they will take all night.

All six zip files come to around 22 gigs in total. Like I said, the number of documents contained in them is truly massive. Decades worth of stuff.

Thank you for the link and I have just completed downloading them. Everything from preventing beef tapeworms to grey water facts to wind power.

As you say this will keep me informed until my retirement and well into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: