PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheep stealing and illegal slaughtering
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
UndercoverElephant



Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 11038
Location: south east England

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-52332756

Quote:
Seven arrests after 'illegal abattoir' found in Telford


So basically people are rustling sheep, butchering them illegally and selling the meat on the black market. Welcome to coronavirus reality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vortex2



Joined: 13 Jan 2019
Posts: 1702
Location: Somewhere on reddit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-52332756

Quote:
Seven arrests after 'illegal abattoir' found in Telford


So basically people are rustling sheep, butchering them illegally and selling the meat on the black market. Welcome to coronavirus reality.

It's been happening for ages : some would say Moslems and Eastern Europeans are the guilty parties ... but I couldn't possibly comment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 6304
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-52332756

Quote:
Seven arrests after 'illegal abattoir' found in Telford


So basically people are rustling sheep, butchering them illegally and selling the meat on the black market. Welcome to coronavirus reality.
You will have to have the "travelers" do the butchering. That way the cops will leave them alone and you will get your lamb chops.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BritDownUnder



Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 723
Location: Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-52332756

Quote:
Seven arrests after 'illegal abattoir' found in Telford


So basically people are rustling sheep, butchering them illegally and selling the meat on the black market. Welcome to coronavirus reality.


A kind of DIY 'wet market' if you will.
_________________
G'Day cobber!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 6304
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritDownUnder wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-52332756

Quote:
Seven arrests after 'illegal abattoir' found in Telford


So basically people are rustling sheep, butchering them illegally and selling the meat on the black market. Welcome to coronavirus reality.


A kind of DIY 'wet market' if you will.

You could have purchased the animal instead of rustling it and still been illegal butchering it as a whole host of regulations and licensing is involved.
Any meat I butcher at home and have processed by a local butcher has to be stamped "not for sale" on every package. No doubt the UK regulations are much stricter then that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vortex2



Joined: 13 Jan 2019
Posts: 1702
Location: Somewhere on reddit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
BritDownUnder wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-52332756

Quote:
Seven arrests after 'illegal abattoir' found in Telford


So basically people are rustling sheep, butchering them illegally and selling the meat on the black market. Welcome to coronavirus reality.


A kind of DIY 'wet market' if you will.

You could have purchased the animal instead of rustling it and still been illegal butchering it as a whole host of regulations and licensing is involved.
Any meat I butcher at home and have processed by a local butcher has to be stamped "not for sale" on every package. No doubt the UK regulations are much stricter then that.

The butchering is usually done in the fields.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 6304
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
BritDownUnder wrote:
UndercoverElephant wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-52332756

Quote:
Seven arrests after 'illegal abattoir' found in Telford


So basically people are rustling sheep, butchering them illegally and selling the meat on the black market. Welcome to coronavirus reality.


A kind of DIY 'wet market' if you will.

You could have purchased the animal instead of rustling it and still been illegal butchering it as a whole host of regulations and licensing is involved.
Any meat I butcher at home and have processed by a local butcher has to be stamped "not for sale" on every package. No doubt the UK regulations are much stricter then that.

The butchering is usually done in the fields.

The story linked to had blood on a driveway and one dead and three live sheep in a house. Out in a field is fine if you have a tractor or other means to pick the carcass up as you skin it and eviscerate it. A sheep inside a garage with a tub to catch the blood or a handy floor drain to hose it to would be relativity easy. Keeping stolen sheep inside a house while waiting to process them was obviously something they hadn't thought through.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Catweazle



Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Posts: 2498
Location: Little England, over the hills

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Keeping stolen sheep inside a house while waiting to process them was obviously something they hadn't thought through.


Perhaps they had other ideas for the sheep....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 12026
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catweazle wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
Keeping stolen sheep inside a house while waiting to process them was obviously something they hadn't thought through.


Perhaps they had other ideas for the sheep....


The supply of young girls has dried up in the current crisis. A pair of wellies and a sheep is rumoured to have kept batchelors of one nation of the UK going for a long time.
_________________
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 6304
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Catweazle wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
Keeping stolen sheep inside a house while waiting to process them was obviously something they hadn't thought through.


Perhaps they had other ideas for the sheep....


The supply of young girls has dried up in the current crisis. A pair of wellies and a sheep is rumoured to have kept batchelors of one nation of the UK going for a long time.

I choose to not go down that path of discussion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 7947
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remarkable news is the fact that several people have been arrested.
Sheep stealing and the illegal slaughtering (often in cruel or insanitary conditions) of the stolen animals is the new normal.
Arrests are rare.

I agree with earlier posts that suggest Islamic, eastern European or traveller involvement. Since all three are protected species, arrests are uncommon.
Not many years ago, a blind eye was turned to organised rape gangs in Rotherham and other places in the interest of "community cohesion"
So a bit of sheep rustling is unlikely to be a high priority.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 7947
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This report perhaps gives a more accurate picture of the situation.
The theft of almost 10,000 sheep results in ONE arrest.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47409199
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BritDownUnder



Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 723
Location: Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the only way to prevent these thefts is to close off areas of the countryside at night especially and possibly at other times as well.
Something like a curfew with manned checkpoints and permits.
Another possibility is for farmers to go out of sheep farming and into, say, pig farming instead. Perhaps co-farming sheep and pigs together may deter at least one of the communities that provide the rustlers.

Otherwise post-Brexit the UK could import frozen lamb from Australian and New Zealand.

Or you could just shoot rustlers like they do in Texas.
_________________
G'Day cobber!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned


Joined: 19 May 2019
Posts: 742
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritDownUnder wrote:

Or you could just shoot rustlers like they do in Texas.


Nope. Chase them with steak knives maybe, but if a Brit owned a gun? The first thing they might do is gun down all their neighbors, having had their minds taken over by the gun to do evil!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 6304
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving 10,000 sheep requires some trucking and would be hard to go unnoticed. You could of course put a boot up the caboose of the local constabulary and have them do their job but falling that perhaps while they are surrounding the sheep let the air out of the truck tires. A 12 gauge lets tire air out quire effectively and discourages sheep rustlers from interfering with you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group