PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extinction rebellion and lack of realism

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Extinction rebellion and lack of realism Reply with quote

Not news to anybody here. You've heard it all before. But I decided to blog about it, having had enough of being told on social media that I'm a mean pessimist.

https://www.geoffdann.co.uk/on-the-extinction-rebellion-and-realism/

Quote:

It can only be a good thing that so many people are suddenly talking about climate change, and about the myriad other components of the oncoming eco-apocalypse. These conversations are long overdue. However, as things stand, we have a very long way to go before the brutal reality of our predicament becomes widely understood. There are multiple levels of delusion and denial to work through first.

etc....
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLV...

Somebody on Reddit posted this in response to the mention of geoengineering. They said they think it is already going on, secretly. I asked him why and he said this:

Quote:

No evidence, just a hunch. Not saying it's absolutely happening - just that it's entirely possible. They employ all kinds of technology otherwise without our awareness - why would they necessarily tell us they were going to geo-engineer before just plain doing it?

Just that if it isn't the weakened jet stream causing ongoing, bizarre cloud activity that isn't normal for the area (which I think is very possible too), then I'm pretty inclined to think they are already spraying sulfates or something like this, in an effort to create artificial albedo. These completely formless, high altitude blanket clouds that extend as far as the eye can see, that we never used to get here and now get quite often, come off as precisely what you're looking for with regards to artificial albedos - vast reflective areas.
Little John

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoengineering will not work I think. Largely because it is inevitably going to require the long term deployment of complex technologies, in turn dependant on complex civilisational organisational structures. The very things we are about to lose.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
Geoengineering will not work I think. Largely because it is inevitably going to require the long term deployment of complex technologies, in turn dependant on complex civilisational organisational structures. The very things we are about to lose.

I'm agnostic on that. Don't know enough about the details. There might be some rather blunt, brutish ways to attempt it, rather than hi-tech complex ones.

All I know is that if we're going to try it, we need to get on with it, and before that we have to be brutally honest about the lack of realistic alternatives.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid points, but as we already have an existing thread on the extinction rebellion protests, I am locking this one.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: