PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We has just moved into our small eco house barn conversion!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eatyourveg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re loo's, I got one of these. Works well other than you have to sit down to pee, but then that is what the great outdoors is for....

http://www.simploo.co.uk/product/simploo-waterless-composting-toilet-compost-toilets-eco-loo/
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awful plasticky looking. Ours just uses any receptacle you can sit over, including plastic buckets recycled from other uses.

BTW, most compost loos separate the pee and poo but without the pee, the stuff would be too dry. I have to add the bucket rinsing water too, otherwise we wouldn’t tempt all those lovely worms.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your out flow from the sewage system would be good for irrigating a polutunnel if you have one but grey water would be even better.
eatyourveg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Awful plasticky looking. Ours just uses any receptacle you can sit over, including plastic buckets recycled from other uses.

BTW, most compost loos separate the pee and poo but without the pee, the stuff would be too dry. I have to add the bucket rinsing water too, otherwise we wouldn’t tempt all those lovely worms.

Yes that one is used in my house and it's mainly for the 'cosmetic' appeal, it doesn't look plasticky in real life and it's a completely odour free system.
I have others which are more 'artisan' looking which the general public get to use (have a campsite) but still separate pee because I have found they really don't work well if there's too much in the mix.
These are plastic containers which slide in/out of a wooden frame via an underseat door. I line the plastic containers with 25l spud sacks so the contents and sacks can be chucked direct into compost bins thus keeping things mercifully hands free. In busy times these are emptied daily, never get complaints but plenty of compliments particularly about no odour, still the occasional scream heard from empty headed snowflakes on first sight of them but that amuses ourselves and the other campers, then they get used to it ho ho.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh. Interesting - paper spud sacks?
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
Hi,

* 60 tons of cleaned motorway scrapings are on order for the drive, parking area etc so mud should be reduced in due course.

* External soil vent pipe is higher than the internal loos. Seems to work so far.

Cleaned motorway scrapings? Not sure what you mean by that and what they mean by "cleaned". But at any rate sixty tons is just three truck loads and if dumped on top of a mud drive in a thin, say six inch, layer they will get sucked up by the mud and become one with it. You need to install the "good stuff" in a thick enough layer that it doesn't get pushed into and mixed with the mud below during spring thaw conditions. An inch of mud can contaminate a foot of clean spec gravel enough to render it equal to mud.
As to the soil pipe vent I'd be wary of any low spot gas traps between the loos and the vent. As you have received approval from a government body that "should know" which way is up perhaps there aren't any.
But at any rate enjoy your new digs. You have a lot of time money and effort invested in them and seem like a very good plan that will serve you nicely.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:

I presume hessian or similar. I think paper would disintegrate most unpleasantly.
A hessian sack and contents should be compostable with minimal handling.
eatyourveg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
emordnilap wrote:

I presume hessian or similar. I think paper would disintegrate most unpleasantly.
A hessian sack and contents should be compostable with minimal handling.

Paper sacks, they compost down very quickly. We compost for a minimum of 12 months to get rid of the pathogens then load up the spreader ..... and spread it.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motorway scrapings are being dumped on top of existing hardcore which has been messed up by having a waste trench dug through it.

The top mud layer will be scraped off and the trench "re-hardcored" (I hope!)
eatyourveg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex once they have scraped off why not lay terram? This will definitely stop you losing stone to the mud. Done that myself, it works.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: All glazing now exposed ... Reply with quote

The final 70% or so of our glazng has now been exposed, by removal of the final chunks of tin from the enclosing barn.

It's now like living in a tiny version of one of those Grand Designs super-glazed houses!

Pix will follow when I can brave the mega frost outside.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: All glazing now exposed ... Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
The final 70% or so of our glazng has now been exposed, by removal of the final chunks of tin from the enclosing barn.

It's now like living in a tiny version of one of those Grand Designs super-glazed houses!

Pix will follow when I can brave the mega frost outside.

Mega frost?
Sorry I have no sympathy. Minus 11F here this morning with a ten mph wind so the chill factor is -28F. Had to jump start the wife's car to get her off to the office. School sent out phone robo calls telling parents to keep their children inside or in a car until the bus actually arrives. Normal Vermont last day of January weather. Cool
Vortex2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-11 F? Just a mo ... ah, that's about -24 in non-archaic terminology.

Well, I used to have to walk a mile in -26C to/from the station some days when I lived in Germany. A tad cool.

I needed decent snow boots, padded coat, fur lined mitts, a Russian type hat and face mask. I would be caked in ice after that walk.

Actually, to be serious, I find that anything below -11C (12F) is crossing the boundary between acceptably cold and dangerously cold.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
School sent out phone robo calls telling parents to keep their children inside or in a car until the bus actually arrives.

I once visited a remote part of Finland at -26C.

The unprotected bus stops and taxi cab waiting points were OUTSIDE the nice warm railway station.

Those Finns are TOUGH!
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
Quote:
School sent out phone robo calls telling parents to keep their children inside or in a car until the bus actually arrives.

I once visited a remote part of Finland at -26C.

The unprotected bus stops and taxi cab waiting points were OUTSIDE the nice warm railway station.
Those Finns are TOUGH!

It's a matter of having the right clothing and being used to it. On snow days where they close the schools the older kids go skiing or riding snow machines. Riding a snow machine at sub zero temps takes the best gear imaginable as at sixty mph you are providing your own wind chill. My brother once frostbit the little patch of skin between his beard and shirt collar because he didn't zip the outer suit all the way up. You don't notice such things until you get inside and begin to thaw out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: