PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heating and cooling idea...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Other Alternatives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moeeziqb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Heating and cooling idea... Reply with quote

So things are slowing down a little at work so it's given me some time to think.

So the general idea is to have each room of a building be on its own thermostat or possible all controlled by one central brain. Now the interesting part about this idea is the have a water to air coil in each room. Obviously when it's cold out hot water would be flowing and you could have a small efficient variable speed fan to blow that hot air around. Very similar to the idea of a mini split. The trick would be cooling and the condensation drainage. But I imagine it would look a lot like a mini split so it would be a matter of running a drain somewhere.

This way you could shut a room off or keep it cooler or hotter. Or at night you can turn the main part of the house down and keep your room warmer or even the baby's room.

Then you would have a central water to water or water to air heat pump that would make hot/cold water to be pumped around the house. Or in my case the winter time I could use my WMO burner.

Thoughts?
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Heating and cooling idea... Reply with quote

moeeziqb wrote:
So things are slowing down a little at work so it's given me some time to think.

So the general idea is to have each room of a building be on its own thermostat or possible all controlled by one central brain. Now the interesting part about this idea is the have a water to air coil in each room. Obviously when it's cold out hot water would be flowing and you could have a small efficient variable speed fan to blow that hot air around. Very similar to the idea of a mini split. The trick would be cooling and the condensation drainage. But I imagine it would look a lot like a mini split so it would be a matter of running a drain somewhere.

This way you could shut a room off or keep it cooler or hotter. Or at night you can turn the main part of the house down and keep your room warmer or even the baby's room.

Then you would have a central water to water or water to air heat pump that would make hot/cold water to be pumped around the house. Or in my case the winter time I could use my WMO burner.

Thoughts?

Here in the US I believe they are referred to as "zones".

My old place had 6 of them.

I found keeping windows open in the right places, and a good woodstove worked far better for overall comfort than heating or cooling only portions of the structure.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your heating/cooling problems are going to be very different from what we in the UK enjoy/suffer, Moeeziqb. Even in a very hot summer here we are unlikely to have more that two or three weeks of weather when we have to worry about cooling the house whereas in the winter, in the south of England, we will only have two or three weeks of weather below freezing when we need to heat the house to any "great" extent.

RGR's Colorado weather is more likely to be up your street, at least for summer temperatures.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Other Alternatives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: