PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shortage of AD 28 batteries.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Electrical, Theory and Practice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Shortage of AD 28 batteries. Reply with quote

Seem to have become almost unobtainable over the last few months.
I cant find any on fleabay, and even the dodgy tax avoiding outlet don't seem to have any.

These are a 4.5 volt zinc carbon single use battery, used in signalling handlamps, some vintage radios, and some field telephones. Similar in size to the now extinct type 126 bell battery.

These used to be manufactured by several firms, but in recent years only Ever Ready made them. I don't recall any previous shortages of these since the 1970s power cuts when most batteries were in short supply.

Last edited by adam2 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick search on the internet revealed that they are also in short supply in Australia. Even the site with the unspeakable name also was sold out. It brings a few memories back all those weird and wonderful batteries that I used to use in my electronics kit including one with a cardboard case and two screw terminals on top.

The site I found mentioned mercury and cadmium as the chemistry but with a bit on ingenuity you could get 4.5 volts out of a few different cells.

Perhaps you could use three D cells in series as a replacement? I seem to remember the cardboard cased battery for my electronics kit had three cells in series inside the cardboard case which in a fit of curiosity I cut open one day on the dining room table.

Do you suspect someone has been buying them or that EverReady just stopped making them? Conspiracy theory?

Best of luck with your search.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that someone has purchased an unusually large number of these batteries, either a railway company or HM forces.
I doubt that these batteries are manufactured continually, more likely that the factory make a batch of a few hundred or a few thousand, and then switch to making something else.
If one customer buys a large proportion of the recent batch, then shortages are inevitable before the next batch is made.

I doubt that manufacture has ceased.

I only have two of these batteries left, and can not keep a large stock as they have a limited shelf life.

Adaptors are available to utilise 3 D cells, but the extra connections add extra points of poor contact or complete failure.
careful_eugene

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try RS Components https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/2282018
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RS don't stock AD28 batteries, and as far as I know have not stocked them recently.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Electrical, Theory and Practice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: