PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Epigenics the reason why violent crime is high in the US?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Is Epigenics the reason why violent crime is high in the US? Reply with quote

This article suggests that the science of Epigenics, how the expression of our genes is controlled is controlled by chemicals released in the body, could explain why violent crime is so common in the US. It doesn't expressly say in the black community but all the examples it gives are from that community although it is not soley to that community that the science applies. It applies to all people who have had disrupted childhoods and their off spring.

It would explain, however, why there would seem to be proportionately more broken homes and violence in Afro-Caribbean and Afro-American communities on both sides of the Atlantic. As these communities come from a slave background where normal family life was almost non existent we could be seeing the continuing fallout from those awful times. The article does not, however, draw this conclusion but as far as I'm concerned that is back to where the trail leads.

Why is violence more prevalent in the US. They have a greater preponderance of ex slave families than we do in the UK and being a pioneer nation the stresses of migration could be a cause of upset.

It's quite a long article but I thought well worth the read. It is not racist, as some will straight away think, as it applies to all from a background of a broken home but, to my mind it could explain why there is more violence, in my perception if not in fact, in poor black communities than in poor white ones.

What should we do about it? A friend of ours works for a charity which gives parenting skills education and help to young mothers who do have problems. From the article it would seem that this sort of intervention should be, and needs to be, available for several generations to come to overcome the disadvantage that has been inflicted on these people, by us or by their and our ancestors.
Snail

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I understand.

I highly suspect I would be diagnosed with schizoid personality disorder. I can't say why I responded to certain events when growing up, but can point to those same events and say that this or that probably contributed to why I'm like the person I am now.

If I had children, would those children perhaps inherit my behavioural personality due to epigenetics: my experience has reprogrammed my genes which I've passed on?

Then, what about ww1 and ww2? Why have those young european solders' experiences seemingly not had similar consequences for later generations.

----

I think one problem is that schools and society have a one-size-fits-all policy. A black kid might have different needs but is treated the same as a white kid. Different races have evolved differently.

Also within these sub-groups. One white kid has a different history than another white kid.

A psychiatrist type person could be used throughout school to help guide people in their life choices. Like a teacher recommending a fat child for extra pe classes. It doesn't matter if he's black or white, just that he's fat.

The way society and employment is going, I'm not sure how much can be done for people or groups of people who dont fit in.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like a teacher recommending a fat child for extra pe classes. It doesn't matter if he's black or white, just that he's fat.

You can't out run a poor diet

and another

Interview
Snail

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. "Like a teacher recommending to his parents, possible improvements to diet".
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Individuals vary according to their individual arrangement of genes

Racial groups vary according to their racial arrangement of genes

Individuals vary according to their early and ongoing diet and early and ongoing learning environment

Groups of people of all types vary according to their early and ongoing diet and early and ongoing learning environment

Somewhere in amongst all of that is you and me and everyone else

That's it.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My adopted children suffered 'early trauma',. Domestic violence, neglect and physical abuse, whilst in the womb and in their first year. The elder had her growth significantly delayed as a result, at 15 her height is only now catching up with her younger sister. Both have massive mental impacts, very high cortisol levels, leading to poor brain development and hair trigger temper s. I guess that the mechanism for this is epigenetics. However, the level of damage done depends on how early the trauma is,. Similar events in adults can lead to PTSD. It is no coincidence that two of the largest populations in UK prisons are ex 'looked after children' and ex soldiers. Epigenetics effects appear to last only 2 or 3 generations when the environmental conditions improve, so slave descendants are unlikely to be directly affected. What can and does persist across many generations is poverty and social discrimination. Epigenetics just makes it harder to break the cycle, children of stressed and abused mothers grow up to be stressed and potentially abusive and negligent. With careful and nurturing parenting, A lot of the brain development can be repaired, but the cortisol will still be there, and few parents have the strength and training to give what it takes. Normal parenting methods do not work. Poor parents also struggle with the physical damage that stressed and angry children do to their home and possession s.
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snail wrote:

A psychiatrist type person could be used throughout school to help guide people in their life choices.....

The way society and employment is going, I'm not sure how much can be done for people or groups of people who dont fit in.

I am not sure if a shrink would be the best person to provide guidance in life choices. I am also not sure how much can be done for people or groups of people who are compelled to fit in with whatever happens to be on offer!
fuzzy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All societies are influenced by genetic, culture and epigenics. It's not very new science. They have found different gene expressions in people who live in seasonal/temperate latitudes and famine areas compared to those in fertile equatorial regions. I found 'The violinists thumb' a good read.
woodburner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how you look at it, it may not be as simple as........., or it may be as simple as...................

One chemical has the aility to disrupt protein building and causes physiological as well as neurological problems.

Supporting slides

Video (long............)
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes this stuff is down to really straightforward factors like shortage of certain minerals or vitamins at critical times. Iodine is a classic example. Also vitamin C - prisoners who were given fresh fruit as a desert apparently had a huge improvement in their abilities to concentrate and to make friends.
woodburner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that was with a relatively small amount. Mega (so called) doses of vitamin C give greater effects.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as American black crime rates goes I think you need to look no further then the percentage of black children born to single mothers. And the cause of that is primarily the chronic unemployment of young black men.
Quote:

In the middle of a national conversation about race following the George Zimmerman acquittal, CNN anchor Don Lemon gave an on-air commentary that went viral on social media. The focus of the commentary was a five-point list of recommendations. "Black people," Lemon said, "if you really want to fix the problem, here's just five things that you should think about doing."

The No. 1 item on that list -- "and probably the most important," he said -- had to do with out-of-wedlock births.

"Just because you can have a baby, it doesn't mean you should," Lemon said. "Especially without planning for one or getting married first. More than 72 percent of children in the African-American community are born out of wedlock. That means absent fathers. And the studies show that lack of a male role model is an express train right to prison and the cycle continues."

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/jul/29/don-lemon/cnns-don-lemon-says-more-72-percent-african-americ/
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the causes, overall homicide rates are declining in the US.

Source
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's funny how the right in America is happy to point to example of how environmental factors provide extremely strong predictors of how a person will turn out - just so long as those environmental predictors don;t have anything to do with changing the distribution of wealth in the country. But, if anyone else point to the biggest environmental predictor of all - the distribution of wealth - suddenly, they are a "communist".

Yeah... .right... Laughing
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Whatever the causes, overall homicide rates are declining in the US.

Source

Well there was a recent uptick if you read the whole story.
But the general decline goes back to 1980 when the rate was 10.2/100,000 and the USA is down to about 4.5
I would put that to the aging population as the baby boomers that were in their thirties in 1980 are now 68 ish and playing golf in Florida.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: