PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

exit plans
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potemkin Villager wrote:
not tested on animals. Very Happy

One Hemlock Water-dropwort root will kill a cow. Unfortunately they sometimes test it on themselves, usually when there's been some sort of earthworks in fields near rivers.
boisdevie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the potential problems is that you might be physically unable to do the deed. Take Motor Neurone Disease for example - if you want to end your life you'd have to do it possibly years before you felt that life was no longer worth living because when you reached that point you'd be physically unable to do it.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leroy wrote:
I think statistically hanging is very much, erm, 'up there' as it were.

It's the preferred method in my country, Ireland. I know many, too many people who took this route. Sorry, knew.

Another favourite is launching oneself off the cliffs of Moher, which are about 35km from me. It's rarely reported but one guy said it's around 1 a week. Classed as 'death by misadventure'. Rolling Eyes
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there are all the single occupant fatal car crashes either thoughtfully crashing in to a solid wall or, much less thoughtfully, crashing into an oncoming vehicle. There is a line of thinking that considers many of these may be suicides rather than accidents. Sad
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potemkin Villager wrote:
Then there are all the single occupant fatal car crashes either thoughtfully crashing in to a solid wall or, much less thoughtfully, crashing into an oncoming vehicle. There is a line of thinking that considers many of these may be suicides rather than accidents. Sad
That method can spare the feelings of the loved ones left behind. I've seen a couple of cases here locally that fit the description.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
leroy wrote:
I think statistically hanging is very much, erm, 'up there' as it were.

It's the preferred method in my country, Ireland. I know many, too many people who took this route. Sorry, knew.

Another favourite is launching oneself off the cliffs of Moher, which are about 35km from me. It's rarely reported but one guy said it's around 1 a week. Classed as 'death by misadventure'. Rolling Eyes

I was walking along the beach below Beachy Head this morning as it happens. Nothing to indicate it is where so many people met their end, apart from the various wrecks of cars at the base of the cliffs, which are too difficult for anybody to remove. Pic taken this morning.

[/img]
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In think the uncomfortable conclusion that might be drawn is that current societal conditions are already leading many people to a desperate place where they take their own lives often in a disguised manner. A significant worsening of conditions will greatly increase the numbers being driven to take this course of action.

As a species we have really fecked up big time. I suspect suicide is a largely taboo subject because the incidence of suicide in a society is a damning measurement of what a failure that society is.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can the Soviet collapse tell us anything?

http://psychopathology.imedpub.com/suicides-in-russia-and-belarus-a-comparative-analysis-of-trends.php?aid=7536
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
Can the Soviet collapse tell us anything?

Perhaps only that the stresses that drive one to drink can also push you to the exit.
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many and diverse conclusions could be drawn from these graphs. But before rushing to draw conclusions from two sets of data possibly it would be illuminating to compare that data with similar and other data from other countries ( e.g. Ireland, UK and US) as well.

The impression left from the graph is that it was the alcohol wot done it a bit like saying it was the car that crashed. This is begging the question of what in a society it is that drives people to suicide whether alcohol consumption is involved or not.

Perhaps Cambridge Analytica could help here?
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what that graph shows most is that Russians topped themselves in large numbers until they (re)discovered booze (or it became affordable enough to buy). Marvellous Other 1/2's tales from there kind-of back this up. In about 1998 male life expectancy went down to 59.

The 'damning measurement' comment of PV's is one I've often pondered too, along with that menacing-sounding phrase, "They want you alive"...
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a story from Australia about a 104 year old who has decided to go to a euthanasia clinic in Switzerland to check out.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritDownUnder wrote:
There is a story from Australia about a 104 year old who has decided to go to a euthanasia clinic in Switzerland to check out.

Well at 104 he probably has run out of fun things to do. Not a lot to to look forward to from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: