PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Practice Run for TEOTWAWKI!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Practice Run for TEOTWAWKI! Reply with quote

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/27/panic-buyers-clear-shelves-asda-cold-weather-bites-7344923/

"Shoppers have been preparing for a nuclear winter, judging from these scenes of desolation in the supermarket aisles.

There’s no bread, no milk, no produce – not even any crumpets left to tide customers through the frigid nights if they weren’t quick enough to the shop.

The Beast from the East is upon us, bringing a week of plummeting temperatures more suited to Siberia than Sussex."
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The panic buying of bread and fresh milk annoys me because I suspect that a great deal will go stale and be wasted.
Much more sensible IMHO to buy ones usual bread and milk consumption, but to stock up on non perishable or less perishable alternatives.
Long life milk
Breakfast cereals
Biscuits
Tinned foods

I have no bread whatsoever ! should I contact the Red Cross ?
Or perhaps I should eat something else instead Smile

Stocks of port and chocolate seem ample.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's widespread:

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-taiwan-urges-calm-panic-toilet.html
woodburner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
The panic buying of bread and fresh milk annoys me because I suspect that a great deal will go stale and be wasted.
Much more sensible IMHO to buy ones usual bread and milk consumption, but to stock up on non perishable or less perishable alternatives.
Long life milk
Breakfast cereals
Biscuits
Tinned foods

Supermarket shelves here were well stocked. Plenty of veges, toilet rolls, loads of booze, cosmetics, milk, bread, meat. I shan’t say where it is incase all the PS posters try to stock up. We have some bread because Mrs woodburner eats it. I don’t eat it at all, so I won’t suffer from a shortage.
I drink little milk, (loads of cream though) and what is sold in supermarkets is homogonised, denatured and not really fit to be in a diet of any description. Those who go for low fat milk don’t understand nutrition. It’s basically rubbish. Breakfast cereals, save the boxes as they are more nutritious, and can be made into buildings for dioramas. Biscuits. Rolling Eyes something else devoid of nutrition.

We went to buy food today, just normal for us, except I wanted some cheese, and as few outlets sell the particular one, I bought 2kg of it. The date is up on Sunday. How silly, it has taken at least 18 months to get to the stage when it’s ready, so a few more weeks won’t hurt. The milk we get is unpasteurised, so if it goes off, it’s cheese. If pasteurised goes off you had better chuck it as you have no idea what’s growing in it. We have a couple of dozen eggs as well as the cheese, and veges. So we may well last into next week.

Then there’s the stocks of home made chocolates and huge quantities of suplies to make loads more, probably enough for two to three hundred, though we will need more cream.
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:

You do know that you could die a few weeks before your time, Adam!!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife made me a couple of loaves with organic wholemeal flour a couple of days ago. One and a half have gone in the freezer so they will last me a couple of weeks. We have loads of dry goods stored together with chutneys, jams and jarred fruit. We could possibly do with some more veggies but we have a freezer of various types of meat so all in all we won't starve until next winter unless we have no summer to grow anything. And it would have to be a very rough summer as we have over 60 sq metres of polytunnel and I could rustle up some cold frames and cloches as well.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bread obsession seems to be common. What is it with bread? Same a xmas etc, trolleysfull of white death.

Just buy a few bags of flour and some yeast and so on and there you go, if you really must have bread or die. I use a no-knead recipe that's a piece of cake. Laughing
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"let them eat cake"

But more seriously, though bread is a staple and cheap food, there are many alternatives including pasta, potatoes, and yes cakes Smile
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
Looks like it's widespread:

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-taiwan-urges-calm-panic-toilet.html

Now that does sound like some anal fixation.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
"let them eat cake"

But more seriously, though bread is a staple and cheap food, there are many alternatives including pasta, potatoes, and yes cakes Smile

All those others need cooking, though. The power may be out, or people might be in crap accommodation and have nowhere to cook stuff. The latter seems to be getting depressingly common.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
All those others need cooking, though. The power may be out, or people might be in crap accommodation and have nowhere to cook stuff. The latter seems to be getting depressingly common.

It doesn't just afflict the deprived. There's those those newly-built places built with no cooking facilities area at all. Cooking? I have slaves for that. Laughing
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are those newly built places that are entirely reliant on electricity even if they have a gas supply. I would never design a house that didn't have at least one chimney in it to give an alternative heating/cooking appliance even if it is just the top of a wood burning stove. Our LPG cooker requires an electricity supply to control the gas oven! Its a good job we have an alternative electricity supply as well as a wood burning oven.
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds right out of the next chapter in the doomer playbook!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0302/944671-dublin-store-investigation/

" Nine people have been arrested following robberies and looting at two shops in west Dublin.

The Lidl supermarket at Fortunestown Lane was broken into at around 5pm and was subsequently looted.

It was also bulldozed using a stolen digger, the safe was removed and later found partially open.

A small number of gardaí responding in an SUV could not get to the scene due to the weather conditions, which included snowdrifts of up to five feet.

They were then attacked and drew ASPs and pepper spray for personal protection but did not use them and retreated
."
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potemkin Villager wrote:
They were then attacked and drew ASPs and pepper spray for personal protection but did not use them and retreated[/i]."

Glad we've got good old British bobbies! I can remember my Dad's truncheon, it was made from an African hardwood, I think, and very hard, but that had knife cut marks all over it from where he had protected himself with it and doubtless got his own back.

What's the point of carrying, and getting out, an ASP and pepper spray if you don't use them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: