PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silicon Valley billionaires are prepping for the apocalypse
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Silicon Valley billionaires are prepping for the apocalypse Reply with quote

"But the focus internationally was on why Thiel might have wanted to own a chunk of New Zealand roughly the size of lower Manhattan in the first place. And the overwhelming suspicion was that he was looking for a rampart to which he could retreat in the event of outright civilisational collapse."

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/feb/15/why-silicon-valley-billionaires-are-prepping-for-the-apocalypse-in-new-zealand
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived there for a while and it was lovely but badly paid. To stand on a mountain overlooking Wellington and breathe the freshest air in the world was amazing.

Completely self sufficient in food, electricity and for a brief time all fossil fuels. It's nice to live in a place where you and most of the population did not have to give a hoot about what happened in the rest of the world.

Until the speculators/preppers got in it was quite cheap to buy a house too. You could get a place in the mid North Island for under NZ$100,000 as well.

Interestingly this idea of New Zealand as a bastion against world collapse is not new. When passing time in Auckland library there was an interesting book by a British couple entitled "Fortress New Zealand" written in the early 2000's about the same theme. According to this press report, they managed to get themselves deported for an unrelated matter involving non-disclosure of a custodial sentence. Naughty naughty.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a meeting of CUSP, the Centre for the Understanding of Sustainable Prosperity, yesterday and was talking to Tim Jackson (name dropping!) afterwards. When I mentioned in the conversation that I thought that the recent increase in the proportion of wealth held by the 0.001% was their last ditch grasping before the system collapsed he just gave a wry smile and didn't contradict me. After all, why would such supposedly intelligent people accumulate so much wealth that it risked collapsing the system upon which that wealth depends for value? All part of the same phenomenon.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just read the article and I am even more certain that these libertarian billionaires have a screw or two loose. They don't seem to realise that their wealth only has any value in the context of our current civilisation. If they remove that civilisation their money has no value and crypto-currencies are the same.

You can't even burn most of their wealth to keep you warm because it's not in the form of paper money, it's a few bytes on a computer in a bank somewhere. In a collapsed economy the prime currency is going to be food and water and the wherewithal to produce it. Some people might accept gold or silver in return for food but not many and I expect that most people would want an awful lot of gold for food.

They object to paying taxes to the state but who is going to protect them and their property in the absence of the state? They will have to pay someone to do it for them so immediately they are paying a "tax" to their protectors. And who is going to protect them from their protectors? They just haven't got a clue!

The Maoris have the right idea, collectivism and equality, working together for a communal good would be the only way forward in a time of collapse. That way people have a certain amount of security given by numbers. Being super rich and on your own invites assassination.
Little John

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is precisely the fact that in a civilisational collapse monetary wealth means nothing, that is the reason some of the more savvy billionaires are turning it into hard, useful assets like land
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very large area of land is no use unless you know how to work it and have someone to help you work it. I don't suppose many of these billionaires will be used to working hard themselves or have the knowledge so all the money in the world is no use to them then.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
A very large area of land is no use unless you know how to work it and have someone to help you work it. I don't suppose many of these billionaires will be used to working hard themselves or have the knowledge so all the money in the world is no use to them then.

Well, large areas of land can be rented out, worked by tenants etc.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Maoris have the right idea, .........

The plural of Maori, is Maori. No “s” required.
cubes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're not already in NZ when(if) society collapses then htf are they going to get there?
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is unlikely to collapse overnight. It will most likely be a slow motion affair. Indeed, that slow motion crash has already started
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People that rich will have access to ocean going yachts and to private jets.
Such will still be available after the crash, at least for as long as fuel and spare parts are available.
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spanner, meet works:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42964656
woodburner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really irritating that rich, greedy people can go round flashing their money about causing problems to the far less well off and far less greedy people.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raspberry-blower wrote:
Spanner, meet works:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42964656

It would not have helped with Peter Thiel. He was already a NZ citizen. I think also that under the terms of the "free-trade" agreement NZ signed with China the NZ Government is not allowed to deny Chinese the right to buy property there as it would be preventing "investment" in NZ.

On somewhat of a tangent if any of you have ever watched the movie "Once were warriors" average house prices in that suburb are now close to 20 times the average NZ wage.
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
kenneal - lagger wrote:

Well, large areas of land can be rented out, worked by tenants etc.

This might be easier said than done after teotwawki. I found the mindset described in the article hilarious, especially the panic room construction. I imagine he thinks all he has to do is turn up and tell folk who he is and how rich he was and expect the local plebs to bow down to him, respect his property rights and serve him as serfs.

I don't know what the mentality of rural folk in NZ is. If it is anything like rural Ireland he and his pals will be on a very steep learning curve which might be very brief.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: