PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Abiotic oil! The death of the human race?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Abiotic oil! The death of the human race? Reply with quote

I'm not sure why this piece on abiotic oil was regenerated from 2012 in the Powerswitch Peak Oil Daily but it is not good news for climate change or the human race. Encouraging the idea of unlimited amounts of cheap oil and gas and encouraging countries like China and India to look for it cannot be a good thing.

Does anyone know who publishes the Powerswitch Peak Oil Daily? It seems to have mainly US content.
woodburner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The death of the human race? Let’s have abiotic oil then. Twisted Evil
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather doubt that abiotic oil and gas even exist in significant volumes.

Whatever the Russians may claim. If a Russian scientist has a well paid job in researching this oil, or looking for it, they are hardly going to say "it does not exist" are they.
And if the abiotic oil theory is backed by senior Russian figures, any doubts might constitute treason which is punishable by execution.

Abiotic oil might even be a discovery of the late joseph stalin, who was of course the greatest scientist that the world has ever known.
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - Jesus Wept. Please tell me we are not engaging in the fashionable "Russia did it" bollocks on this forum. I read enough of that idiocy elsewhere in the media as it is.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not accusing Russia of doing anything much, I am however stating that if senior Russian figures believe in abiotic oil, then it would be a very foolish engineer or scientist who disagreed.
Mr. Fox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, It's not just a Russian thing. A fair few 'high ranking' US politicians believe in it, too... they tent to be the same ones that believe that the World is 6000 years old and that dinosaur fossils were mockingly put there to test our faith, etc. Wink

Ugo Bardi summed it up fairly well many years ago:
Quote:
There are, really, two versions of the abiotic oil theory, the "weak" and the "strong":

The "weak" abiotic oil theory: oil is abiotically formed, but at rates not higher than those that petroleum geologists assume for oil formation according to the conventional theory. (This version has little or no political consequences).

The "strong" abiotic theory: oil is formed at a speed sufficient to replace the oil reservoirs as we deplete them, that is, at a rate something like 10,000 times faster than known in petroleum geology. (This one has strong political implications).

In other words, unless oil formation can keep up with extraction rates (which it demonstrably can't), with regard to 'peak oil', it matters not whether it is formed biologically, abiotically or by *magic pixies*.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does matter, Mr Fox, because if abiotic theory is correct there is an awful lot of oil waiting to be pumped out from areas where we have, as yet, not explored. Oil exploration has been confined largely to areas where there were sediment basins with impervious rock domes over them to trap the oil from the sediments. In abiotic theory all that is required is an impervious dome to trap the slowly or quickly produced oil or gas.
Mr. Fox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you point... it's over a decade since I last looked at this, but:

Are there now any actual instances of meaningful quantities of oil being produced from such deposits?

OK, so absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence and all that, but until I see something to convince me otherwise, my money's still on the pixies. Cool

-

Back to the article you linked to (from 2012)... That one seems to be regenerated from the original written by one 'Vinod Dar' over 2 years before - more like 'The Article that Refuses to Vanish'. Curious. Confused
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fox wrote:
I see you point... it's over a decade since I last looked at this, but:
Are there now any actual instances of meaningful quantities of oil being produced from such deposits?
OK, so absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence and all that, but until I see something to convince me otherwise, my money's still on the pixies. Cool

-

Back to the article you linked to (from 2012)... That one seems to be regenerated from the original written by one 'Vinod Dar' over 2 years before - more like 'The Article that Refuses to Vanish'. Curious. Confused

No meaningful quantities of oil have been produced from abiotic deposits. Most people do not believe that ANY such oil will EVER be produced.

A vocal minority however believe otherwise
"If we spend enough on research"
"just needs a bit more investment"
And probably even "if we all pray hard"
And possibly even "if we all hope and pull together"
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the thing about Russia (that you wouldn't exactly want to contradict folk in High Places)... BUT, it's almost as bad here! You wouldn't want to contradict your boss - nobody would. OK so you won't get sent to the Gulag but replacement grant funding, or job, are hard to come by these days.

So there'll be loads of workplaces full, for whatever reason, of folk quietly lying and hoping not to get found out.

And don't get me started on what happens in workplaces in China...
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
So there'll be loads of workplaces full, for whatever reason, of folk quietly lying and hoping not to get found out.

Please change "there'll" to "there are".
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
... BUT, it's almost as bad here! You wouldn't want to contradict your boss - nobody would.

I only contradict my wife on really important matters. At any other time she is "always right"!
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
RenewableCandy wrote:
... BUT, it's almost as bad here! You wouldn't want to contradict your boss - nobody would.

I only contradict my wife on really important matters. At any other time she is "always right"!

I only contradict my wife on trivial matters. At all other times she is always right.
I like sleeping indoors. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: