PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

General Election June 8
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snail

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: General Election June 8 Reply with quote

A BREXIT election!
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, please add relevant posts to this thread and avoid starting multiple threads on the same subject.
Snail

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure May will substantially increase her majority. Big increase for lib dems; Tim's grinning like a monkey. Slight decrease for snp. People who voted Leave in Wales won't be so sure now after realising how much European money they'll miss out on. I don't think the labour vote will collapse in England; labour's committed to leave after all.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect an increased conservative majority for two reasons.
Firstly I doubt that the PM would call the election if not confidant of gaining an increased majority.
Secondly, no matter how popular the present labour leader may be with party activists, many consider him to be an electoral liability.

A cynic like me would even suspect that the PM wishes to hold an election before labour dump the present leader and choose someone more electable.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corbyn/Labour could stop this tomorrow. If they don't vote against, it's likely we'll be swapping three years of weak tory majority for five years of strong majority. Why would Labour MPs vote for that!?

I guess for the 'opposition' not to vote for a general election would send a very strange signal about how they see their roll in parliament.
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
Corbyn/Labour could stop this tomorrow. If they don't vote against, it's likely we'll be swapping three years of weak tory majority for five years of strong majority. Why would Labour MPs vote for that!?

I guess for the 'opposition' not to vote for a general election would send a very strange signal about how they see their roll in parliament.

I think Corbyn is hoping to take votes off of both UKIP and disaffected Tory voters. Don't forget, Corbyn was a closet Brexiteer.....could be a clever strategy...

Corbyn voting against May could be the end of Labour.

UKIP will be crushed IMHO.

Myself, I'll be voting for the Tories. How will everyone else vote?
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:

If they don't vote for a General Election they are responsible for everything the government do as they could have had a General Election.
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:
clv101 wrote:

If they don't vote for a General Election they are responsible for everything the government do as they could have had a General Election.

John, don't you think it would have been in the Lib Dems and central Labour's interest to slow down the Brexit process?
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could believe that a Labour government would not stand in the way of a full Brexit then, given that a Tory win would reset the electoral clock so that we had another 5 years of them, I guess I would have to vote labour. No choice really. But, with their views on immigration, voting for them will be a bit like having to wipe one's arse after going for a shit. It's not very pleasant, but the alternative would be worse.

But, I am yet to be convinced that Labour would not stand in the way of Brexit. So, I am between a rock and hard place.
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutomaticEarth wrote:

John, don't you think it would have been in the Lib Dems and central Labour's interest to slow down the Brexit process?

And how would they do that?
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:
clv101 wrote:

But isn't is also fair to say that by voting for the General Election, they likely (going by current polling) further empower the current government?

Will you be standing again?
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
But isn't is also fair to say that by voting for the General Election, they likely (going by current polling) further empower the current government?

I expect to stand again.

The election result will drive what happens. Although the polls have the tories in front it is not inevitable. The only way of stopping Brexit is through the ballot box.
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:
AutomaticEarth wrote:

And how would they do that?

Easy - just vote against allowing May to go ahead with a snap election.

Saying that, I missed out on a major betting opportunity a few months ago...never mind..
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:
clv101 wrote:

I expect to stand again.

The election result will drive what happens. Although the polls have the tories in front it is not inevitable. The only way of stopping Brexit is through the ballot box.

Let's just hope that the Tories get the majority that they need to get Brexit through.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People don't decide who governs. The media does. A shoe-in for May?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 1 of 32

Jump to: