PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conservative government watch
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Conservative government watch Reply with quote

This is what you have to get used to:

David Cameron wrote:
For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone. This government will conclusively turn the page on this failed approach.

Quote:
Teresa May wants to “ban non-violent extremist groups that fall short of the current threshold for being banned as terrorist-related organizations.” Think about that very closely. Essentially, she is saying non-violent groups that are currently not breaking any laws should be criminalized by creating new laws.

Source

From now on, not breaking any laws is not enough.

Start listing all the stuff you'll be asking candidates to repeal in five years' time - something tells me it's gonna be a long list. A meringue?
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
Tarrel

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No. You have to learn to love Big Brother!
3rdRock

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarrel wrote:
Quote:

No. You have to learn to love Big Brother!

I can't stand the program! Wink
madibe

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To expand:

Quote:
The aim is to catch not just those who spread or incite hatred on the grounds of gender, race or religion but also those who undertake harmful activities for the “purpose of overthrowing democracy”.

They would include a ban on broadcasting and a requirement to submit to the police in advance any proposed publication on the web and social media or in print.

ohmygod Rolling Eyes

So essentially, what they are saying is that you can not object to their version of democracy. I.e. - if you have a different vision that you would like to share with people... well, you are doomed.

It is surely against what democracy is. The right to freedom of speech and the right to lobby others to your cause, so that democracy can indeed be practiced. Or am I missing something?

Having said that, this is probably just a pre-emptive strike against the Islimisation of the UK. Perhaps.
3rdRock

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... and so it begins

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/wages-paid-to-illegal-immigrants-will-be-confiscated-by-the-police-says-david-cameron-10265383.html

Quote:
Wages paid to illegal immigrants will be confiscated by the police, says David Cameron

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/may/20/fresh-spending-squeeze-has-already-begun-says-george-osborne

Quote:
George Osborne has told Whitehall departments that the fresh squeeze on government spending has begun, ordering them to make an immediate start on finding the £13bn of cuts needed for the next phase of his deficit reduction plan.
Catweazle

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all rather sinister. My personal alarm bells kept ringing every time Cameron said " Hard Working " - the way he used the words sounded so Orwellian - and I kept getting a mental image of the infamous "Work Will Set You Free" sign over a gate.

I've always planned to keep my head down when things start to crumble, I think now it's time to go quiet.
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More bad news for Cameron - immigration up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32816454

Be interesting to see how he gets out of this one, given that there'll be no new money for any new 'task force' or the police.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tories don't want immigration to go down.

They want cheap labour to mow their lawns and harvest vegetables and clean their loos.

If is illegal labour, so much the better. You can pay them below the minimum wage and if they complain you can out them to the police, get them deported without appeal <i>and</I> confiscate what little money you paid them back again.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maudibe wrote:
To expand:

Quote:
The aim is to catch not just those who spread or incite hatred on the grounds of gender, race or religion but also those who undertake harmful activities for the “purpose of overthrowing democracy”.

They would include a ban on broadcasting and a requirement to submit to the police in advance any proposed publication on the web and social media or in print.

ohmygod Rolling Eyes

So essentially, what they are saying is that you can not object to their version of democracy. I.e. - if you have a different vision that you would like to share with people... well, you are doomed.

This is what I was thinking. They're right at the start of their rule. They're going to hit hard and early. And of course Labour loves having its tummy scratched.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
cubes

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Conservative government watch Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Start listing all the stuff you'll be asking candidates to repeal in five years' time - something tells me it's gonna be a long list. A meringue?

And watch them ignore your list and carry on, business as usual.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Conservative government watch Reply with quote

cubes wrote:
emordnilap wrote:

Well, it will most likely be ignored, yes. Or, just as likely, anyone who posts here will be deemed a terrorist.

Or you could use it to give yourself a 'repeal wish list' in five years.
3rdRock

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Conservative government watch Reply with quote

cubes wrote:
emordnilap wrote:

Summed up nicely by Billy Rowan. Crying or Very sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APtjjusQLdA&index=5&list=PLETplZDiLfRJkJyrIdRdUqDM7ps9uaSLC
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That whole Monkey Suit album is pretty good. I might even buy it! Cool
3rdRock

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/21/mays-plan-to-censor-tv-programmes-condemned-by-tory-cabinet-colleague

Quote:
A plan by the home secretary to introduce counter-extremism powers to vet British broadcasters’ programmes before they are transmitted has been attacked in the bluntest terms as a threat to freedom of speech by one of her own Conservative cabinet colleagues, the Guardian has learned.

Sajid Javid wrote to David Cameron to say that, as culture secretary, he was unable to support Theresa May’s proposal to give Ofcom the new powers to take pre-emptive action against programmes that included “extremist content,” in a letter sent just before the start of the general election campaign.

More from the Indie:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/theresa-may-accused-of-seeking-to-introduce-state-censorship-of-the-media-by-cabinet-colleague-10268697.html
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rdRock wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/21/mays-plan-to-censor-tv-programmes-condemned-by-tory-cabinet-colleague

Quote:
A plan by the home secretary to introduce counter-extremism powers to vet British broadcasters’ programmes before they are transmitted has been attacked in the bluntest terms as a threat to freedom of speech by one of her own Conservative cabinet colleagues, the Guardian has learned.

Sajid Javid wrote to David Cameron to say that, as culture secretary, he was unable to support Theresa May’s proposal to give Ofcom the new powers to take pre-emptive action against programmes that included “extremist content,” in a letter sent just before the start of the general election campaign.

More from the Indie:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/theresa-may-accused-of-seeking-to-introduce-state-censorship-of-the-media-by-cabinet-colleague-10268697.html

This may not rival the 'Current Oil Price' thread, but the Conservatives may ensure it tries. (Or is that the Conservatives' May? Laughing )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: