PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fog nets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Fog nets Reply with quote

Dune's fog catchers come to Peru

I was amused by the guy who said that it would never be supported by the private sector. Quite possibly, but then why should the private sector profit from a thing that people can supply for themselves? If it rains we can collect the rain that falls on our roofs - although in some states of the US I believe it is illegal to do this! - and if it's foggy we can hang a net over our roof. Tough on the private sector!
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder, why should the water need to be treated to be drinkable?
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Fog nets Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
If it rains we can collect the rain that falls on our roofs - although in some states of the US I believe it is illegal to do this! - and if it's foggy we can hang a net over our roof. Tough on the private sector!

I already do something similar although by accident. In Australia at certain times of year we get warm days and cold clear nights with high humidity. As I have a metal roof it cools more quickly than the air and water condenses on it. I collect all water falling into the gutters and I guess that I get about 2 - 3 litres per night. I also collect some air con water in the same 100 litre container and also a 350 litre container which usually fill in the six weeks I am away from home working. I would not drink this water directly but the trees don't seem to mind it.

From what I understand about US law the water rights to land can be bought and sold separately to the land rights and indeed the mineral rights so it is entirely lawful for it to be illegal to collect any water falling on land which you may think you own. I think Colorado was one of the states where it was illegal to collect rainwater, presumably because someone else already owns the water rights. I believe that this prohibition is now not in effect.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog nets Reply with quote

BritDownUnder wrote:
I believe that this prohibition is now not in effect.

Or at least not well understood:

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/17600/1/why-is-collecting-rainwater-illegal-in-some-states.html
Catweazle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rushes are natures fog-nets. I leave a couple of acres to rushes for my pigs, they don't eat them, they rip mouthfuls out to make comfortable nests from. They provide shade, a cooler area in mid-day heat, and trap moisture that allows grass to grow between them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Permaculture All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: