PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Russia Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rdRock

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Shortfall wrote:

Those who live on the other side of the pond are always blind to the complexities of world politics. Rolling Eyes

I suppose it's because most Americans haven't travelled - except in times of war. Wink

I wonder who said that first? Nevil Chamberlain perhaps?

Wassup VTS, those goddam pesky Rooskies gittin' to y'all again? Very Happy
3rdRock

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30560941

Quote:
Russia says it will not "cave in" to pressure, following a fresh set of US, EU and Canadian sanctions over the conflict in Ukraine.

A spokesman said Moscow regretted "that the West is yet again displaying a complete lack of interest" in resolving the crisis in south-east Ukraine.

Russia was developing "retaliatory measures", the spokesman said.
3rdRock

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rt.com/news/216291-luxury-cars-russia-crisis/

Quote:
Porsches sold out: Luxury cars go like hotcakes in Russia amid ruble plunge

Classier than a handcart I suppose. Wink
3rdRock

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://btv24.co.uk/?p=9129

Quote:
John Pilger: Real possibility of nuclear war – Ukraine crisis could start World War 3
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortfall wrote:

Wrong part of the country. American slang is quite local and complicated. A bit like world politics. If it was gittin to Y'all you would be from Missouri. A frustrated native Vermonter might say " Geesum crow that ain't going to happen!"
I was merely pointing out the absurdity of the average Brit arrogantly asserting that they had a firmer grasp of the world situation then the average American has.
3rdRock

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Shortfall wrote:

Wrong part of the country. American slang is quite local and complicated. A bit like world politics. If it was gittin to Y'all you would be from Missouri. A frustrated native Vermonter might say " Geesum crow that ain't going to happen!"
I was merely pointing out the absurdity of the average Brit arrogantly asserting that they had a firmer grasp of the world situation then the average American has.

I guess it was only a matter of time before you deployed the active denial system. Wink Smile
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Shortfall wrote:

It's true to say the average Brit is pretty ignorant of world events. However, if the Yank MSM and the shit it gets away with pumping out is anything to go by, I think it's reasonably uncontentious to assume your average American is even more ignorant.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecook172001 wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
Shortfall wrote:

It's true to say the average Brit is pretty ignorant of world events. However, if the Yank MSM and the shit it gets away with pumping out is anything to go by, I think it's reasonably uncontentious to assume your average American is even more ignorant.

Considering some of the media you Brits consume at levels that make them profitable I would have to contend that to the bitter end. Twisted Evil
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortfall wrote:

I guess it was only a matter of time before you deployed the active denial system. Wink Smile

The question is which is both more effective and humane. An ADS or tear gas, rubber bullets and water cannon?
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:

In my opinion Europe has made the strategic mistake of the century in siding with the US rather than Russia.

Siding with the US meant that we had Soviet nukes pointed at us , siding with Russia would have meant that we would have had American nukes pointed at us. Perhaps comes down to which side would have been more likely to start WW3 and choosing sides accordingly?
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Central Bank of the Russian Federation is injecting as much as 30 billion roubles (around $517m), into Trust Bank to save it from bankruptcy, and putting it under direct supervision.

Guardian

http://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2014/dec/22/rising-oil-price-russian-rouble-pay-rises-kingfisher-live

Oil price drifting down again.

Could a Russian financial collapse spread to the other major markets?
biffvernon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurkalot wrote:
clv101 wrote:

In my opinion Europe has made the strategic mistake of the century in siding with the US rather than Russia.

Siding with the US meant that we had Soviet nukes pointed at us , siding with Russia would have meant that we would have had American nukes pointed at us. Perhaps comes down to which side would have been more likely to start WW3 and choosing sides accordingly?

By and large, those nations without nukes had none pointing at them.
Little John

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
Lurkalot wrote:
clv101 wrote:

Hang on a minute. The only reason they did not have nukes pointing at them is because they were not in the competition for whatever resource the nuke powers were prepared to fight over. If they had been, they would have been subjects of attention just the same, nukes or no nukes. Indeed, one might argue that those powers that held the nukes, given that they were in that game, were only not invaded, because of their nukes. Or have you forgotten, conveniently, about the innumerable countries around the world, who did not have nukes, but who nevertheless were in possession of resources that the bigger powers coveted, and the number of times they have been invaded, had puppet governments levered into place and generally been f***ed over left, right and centre.

You live in La-La-land
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
Lurkalot wrote:
clv101 wrote:

Only those countries that didn't have US military bases stationed on their soil you mean
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Craig Roberts: Financial Market Manipulation is the New Trend: Can it Continue?

Paul Craig Roberts wrote:
The greatest harm that is being done to the Russian economy is not due to sanctions and the US attack on the ruble. The greatest harm is being done by Russia’s neoliberal economists.

Neoliberal economics is not merely incorrect. It is an ideology that fosters US economic imperialism. By following neoliberal prescriptions, Russian economists are helping Washington’s attack on the Russian economy.

Apparently, Putin has been sold, along with his internal enemies, the Atlanticist integrationists, on “free trade globalism.” Globalism destroys the sovereignty of every country except the world reserve currency country that controls the system.

As Michael Hudson has shown, neoliberal economics is “junk economics.” But it is also a tool of American financial imperialism, and this makes neoliberal Russian economists tools of American imperialism.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 3 of 40

Jump to: