PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Human powered shredder or chipper?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzzy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Human powered shredder or chipper? Reply with quote

I can see the power limitations, but what is the best human powered way of reducing the awkwardness of green waste? I would happily compost everything, but always have a full compost bin or 2. My good lady would happily throw it all for refuse, which is crazy since it's our soil we are losing. I wonder if there is some sort of press like a cider press that could compact springy green stuff, if shredding is too power hungry.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool I suggest a good well sharpened machete.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Meyerco-Machete-22-Blade-with-Sheath/7693653
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Human powered shredder or chipper? Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
I can see the power limitations, but what is the best human powered way of reducing the awkwardness of green waste? I would happily compost everything, but always have a full compost bin or 2. My good lady would happily throw it all for refuse, which is crazy since it's our soil we are losing. I wonder if there is some sort of press like a cider press that could compact springy green stuff, if shredding is too power hungry.

What about one of those turnip pulpers sometimes seen as ornaments these days in prettified country gardens? Laughing
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, 2 good ideas. I have a small hatchet so I can tackle green woody stuff. I will investigate those old machines. Maybe also a good use for a solar panel and car battery?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would simply use an electric shredder, I appreciate that this suggestion is not actually answering the question but electric power has its merits.

An electric shredder typically uses 1 or 2 kw, and one hours use a week will deal with a lot of garden waste and it will compost quickly.

Electric power is ideal when several horsepower is needed intermittently. The time saved by sensible use of electric power can be put to other uses that save or earn money.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been working my way through our 4M high 2M wide hedge, which is primarily ivy (stems up to 8 inches thick) strangling and killing a few spindly Hawthorn trees. The electric shredder makes fast work of anything long and straight - I have 10M long brambles in it and just watched them disappear like magic.

Combined with loppers and a bow saw, I can reduce a small tree to firewood, kindling and mulch in a couple of hours.

However, there are limits and I have a huge pile of intermediate sized tangeld vegetation which I just have to put in the green bin or take a trailer load to the tip.
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An effective way of breaking up brash is an old petrol circular blade mower. You need one with a metal blade. Make a three sided enclosure out of some old pallets, put your brash in it roughly chopped up, then run the mower over it several time. It will smash it up small enough to compost.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know most people just don't have the space, but if you do, then just pile the stuff up in a big stack and add more each year. Far better than those 'bee hotels' you see on craft stalls and in garden centres, a big pile of woody dead stuff is the basis of the garden food web and home to myriads of creatures.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you (pour) p!ss on it, it'll rot faster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Permaculture All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: