PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ebola outbreak, and other potential epidemics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 57, 58, 59  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
clv101
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 8358

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebola, while devastating for the communities it affects, is not ever going to be a major global threat. It's too incapacitating and deadly and it's relatively easy to identify and contain.

The West Africa outbreak was the perfect storm of slow response, poor medical provision, cultural reluctance etc - and yet exponential expansion was halted with spread contained.

As an aside I recently read Tim Marshall's Prisoners of Geography (which I'd recommend to anyone who likes to think they have a half decent understanding geopolitics), the section on DRC was a real eyeopener. The place is huge, complex and largely unseen in the Western world. China is increasingly engaged though. Pretty much continuous conflict, with several million killed in the last couple decades, and many more millions displaced.
_________________
PowerSwitch on Facebook | The Oil Drum | Twitter | Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
woodburner



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 4133

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47907976

Quote:

Ebola outbreak 'not global emergency yet'

The World Health Organization says the spread of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo is not yet a global health emergency.

The Ebola outbreak is the second biggest in history - infecting 1,206 people and killing 764. It shows no sign of being contained soon.

Efforts by healthcare workers have been hampered by conflict and rebel attacks.

And experts have warned it will be "very difficult to bring it under control".


Ominous.


Not really ominous. Ebola (and most other diseases) could be dealt with by nutrition and sanitation, but the west just likes to send rubbish “food” and ineffective drugs. The west is not interested except in the mineral resources. The BBC is not known for accuracy nowadays.
_________________
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 11540
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to an article in the Observer today the control of the outbreak is being hampered by "religious" objections to vaccination. Just as religious objections are causing outbreaks of measles in Orthodox Jewish communities in the US.
_________________
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 7599
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
Ebola, while devastating for the communities it affects, is not ever going to be a major global threat. It's too incapacitating and deadly and it's relatively easy to identify and contain.

The West Africa outbreak was the perfect storm of slow response, poor medical provision, cultural reluctance etc - and yet exponential expansion was halted with spread contained.

As an aside I recently read Tim Marshall's Prisoners of Geography (which I'd recommend to anyone who likes to think they have a half decent understanding geopolitics), the section on DRC was a real eyeopener. The place is huge, complex and largely unseen in the Western world. China is increasingly engaged though. Pretty much continuous conflict, with several million killed in the last couple decades, and many more millions displaced.


I do not share your optimism, I am sorry to say.
With modern transport I foresee some risk of this spreading to the UK or other western nations.
I have limited faith in TPTB introducing effective control measures in time prevent large scale spread.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodburner



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 4133

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
According to an article in the Observer today the control of the outbreak is being hampered by "religious" objections to vaccination. Just as religious objections are causing outbreaks of measles in Orthodox Jewish communities in the US.


The religeous objections are causing outbreaks of measles in Orthodox Jewish communities” are they?

Not supported by the governments own figures, nor the judge in court last week who said the number of cases do not equate to an epidemic

Watch this lecture, buy a copy of Dissolving Illusions by Suzanne Humphries, and understand disease pathology.
_________________
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodburner



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 4133

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
clv101 wrote:
Ebola, while devastating for the communities it affects, is not ever going to be a major global threat. It's too incapacitating and deadly and it's relatively easy to identify and contain.

The West Africa outbreak was the perfect storm of slow response, poor medical provision, cultural reluctance etc - and yet exponential expansion was halted with spread contained.

As an aside I recently read Tim Marshall's Prisoners of Geography (which I'd recommend to anyone who likes to think they have a half decent understanding geopolitics), the section on DRC was a real eyeopener. The place is huge, complex and largely unseen in the Western world. China is increasingly engaged though. Pretty much continuous conflict, with several million killed in the last couple decades, and many more millions displaced.


I do not share your optimism, I am sorry to say.
With modern transport I foresee some risk of this spreading to the UK or other western nations.
I have limited faith in TPTB introducing effective control measures in time prevent large scale spread.


Ebola has been about for a rather long time. Modern transport has been available for a few decades while ebola outbreaks have occurred, Even when known contacts have turned up for example in the UK, most of us don’t seem to have been wiped out by it. It is unlikely to affect people if they don’t meet the lifestyle requirements.
_________________
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 7599
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather doomerish report about Ebola on 22-00 TV news 10/06/2019.

Said to be spreading more rapidly than previously and with effective treatment much hampered by traditional beliefs and by conflict.

The disease is reported to be prevalent in much more densely populated areas than previously.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodburner



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 4133

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Rather doomerish report about Ebola on 22-00 TV news 10/06/2019.

Said to be spreading more rapidly than previously and with effective treatment much hampered by traditional beliefs and by conflict.

The disease is reported to be prevalent in much more densely populated areas than previously.


Disease “outbreak” reports should be treated with suspicion. We have “outbreaks” of measles which amount to 150 cases, and this for what was considered a mild disease of low risk, so as an example in November 1994, 8 milion children were vaccinated at school (note not at a doctors surgery) with a vaccine which was known to cause anaphylaxis in 1 in 558 cases. The parents were not warned of this. There was no contingency in the way of appropriate treatment should anaphylaxis occur. And it did occur as recoreded in the JVIC (Joint Vaccination and Immunisation Committee) minutes of 27th January 1995. That meant potentially more than 14,000 cases, caused by the vaccine

Anyway back to ebola[/i]
_________________
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 7599
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the Ebola outbreak in the "democratic" republic of Congo grows, cases have been reported in Uganda, the most recent being a child who died from the disease.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-48603273
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodburner



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 4133

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difficulty with the statements of someone dying of a diease in Africa in rural areas is that they try to bury them as fast as possible, so there is no time for post mortems. It may be the child did die from ebola, but then it may have died from one of several possible causes.
_________________
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 11540
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, woodburner, given that they have just crossed the border from Congo and that his grandmother and brother have the same symptoms there is a good chance that a diagnosis of Ebola might be the correct one. Although maybe it's all just a conspiracy theory and the Uganda government is looking for a handout from the WHO.
_________________
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
UndercoverElephant



Joined: 10 Mar 2008
Posts: 10482
Location: south east England

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/dec/05/142000-died-from-measles-last-year-who-estimates

Quote:

The worldwide surge in deadly measles outbreaks is showing no sign of abating, with nearly 10 million cases and 142,000 deaths last year, according to new estimates, and three times more cases reported so far this year than at the same stage in 2018.

Most of those dying are small children, and thousands more suffer harm including pneumonia and brain damage. New scientific evidence shows survivors are at greater risk soon afterwards because their immune system is impaired.

Anti-vax misinformation spread through social media is contributing to a rise in cases in affluent countries such as the UK and US, while problems in health services play a big part elsewhere. In the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where not enough children have been immunised because of conflict and low-quality health services, more than 4,500 people have died from measles this year – more than the death toll from Ebola.


This is the sort of thing that could take serious chunks out of the global population as instability and decline set in for good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
woodburner



Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 4133

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/dec/05/142000-died-from-measles-last-year-who-estimates

Quote:

The worldwide surge in deadly measles outbreaks is showing no sign of abating, with nearly 10 million cases and 142,000 deaths last year, according to new estimates, and three times more cases reported so far this year than at the same stage in 2018.

Most of those dying are small children, and thousands more suffer harm including pneumonia and brain damage. New scientific evidence shows survivors are at greater risk soon afterwards because their immune system is impaired.

Anti-vax misinformation spread through social media is contributing to a rise in cases in affluent countries such as the UK and US, while problems in health services play a big part elsewhere. In the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where not enough children have been immunised because of conflict and low-quality health services, more than 4,500 people have died from measles this year – more than the death toll from Ebola.


This is the sort of thing that could take serious chunks out of the global population as instability and decline set in for good.


Well, that appears to be the intent of the globalists. In Kenya a mass vaccination programme against the “threat” of tetanus following floods, funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation caused doctors to be concerned when many of the injected women who were pregnant aborted, and those not pregnant were rendered sterile

For some background on measles, and relatively inconsequential infections in general, this is one of a series.

So really, how deadly is the disease?

The Grauniad has about as much credibility as wikipedia or the BBC.
_________________
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kenneal



Joined: 06 Dec 2019
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kenya case is a good reason to avoid that particular vaccine, and I'm not surprised that the Gates Foundation is involved, but it is not evidence against vaccine in general.

As for measles being an inconsequential disease, it might have been in my childhood days but it seems to have come back with a vengeance recently. Perhaps that is because our children no longer have any residual resistance through long term lack of exposure to the disease.

As for the credibility of those publications, wood burner, I would suggest that theirs is a lot higher than yours is on this forum given the rubbish you spout on climate change.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Little John



Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 7558
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal wrote:
The Kenya case is a good reason to avoid that particular vaccine, and I'm not surprised that the Gates Foundation is involved, but it is not evidence against vaccine in general.

As for measles being an inconsequential disease, it might have been in my childhood days but it seems to have come back with a vengeance recently. Perhaps that is because our children no longer have any residual resistance through long term lack of exposure to the disease.

As for the credibility of those publications, wood burner, I would suggest that theirs is a lot higher than yours is on this forum given the rubbish you spout on climate change.
Long term lack of exposure is a direct result of vaccines. Which, in turn, means when such diseases make any kind of return visit in a non-predicted variant strain - which sooner or later they are absolutely bound to do - the use of vaccines proves to be a bad idea at the systemic level. In other words, it just the same story as has proved to be the case with antibiotics.

Don't misunderstand me. In the case of antibiotics, for example, if I had a dangerous infection and had access to antibiotics, I would use them - as would anyone else. But, what makes sense in a specific context for an individual is not necessarily the same as what makes sense at the population level.

The bottom line is this. In terms of defying the natural world, man's ingenuity will have it's limits. The natural world, on the other hand, has forever on its side. We just have to live with nature. We can't beat it. Not in the long run.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 58 of 59

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group