PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happens when global warming is seen to be real?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortex2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: What happens when global warming is seen to be real? Reply with quote

Australia is currently at 50 C.

Assuming global warming is real, what will happen when we see enough bad weather/climate to make us suddenly realise we are stuffed?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A significant number of people ALREADY believe that that global warming is a real danger.
A significant number believe otherwise.

I suspect that public opinion will gradually shift towards believing that the danger is real, but I DO NOT expect a sudden step change whereby everyone or almost everyone suddenly believes it.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urm, realise? Some people realised many decades ago, some just this week. I expect some won't ever realise.

UK government 'realise', to some degree as evidenced by Environment Agency sea defence schemes for example. Personally, I think climate change should be the number one, global priority. The consequences of several more decades of CO2 emission growth are incredible. It's remarkable how such a phenomenon isn't treated more seriously.

I don't think we will suddenly all realise one day.
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: What happens when global warming is seen to be real? Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
Australia is currently at 50 C.

Assuming global warming is real, what will happen when we see enough bad weather/climate to make us suddenly realise we are stuffed?

The world has warmed before with us in it.

Last edited by ReserveGrowthRulz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
So are we just going to let an American climate change denier post on this board?

I would hope so. If you drive off all opposition you would be left with a one song band that nobody is listening to.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
So are we just going to let an American climate change denier post on this board?

I would hope so. If you drive off all opposition you would be left with a one song band that nobody is listening to.

There's legitimate opposition and illegitimate opposition. I wouldn't let a creationist post here either.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:

There's legitimate opposition and illegitimate opposition. I wouldn't let a creationist post here either.

And you are qualified to draw the line between winners and losers?
careful_eugene

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, he's not actually denying climate change, I think he's saying something along the lines of "he doesn't give a shit because he probably won't be affected".
stumuz1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within reason, yes. But excessively repetitive posts are liable to be deleted, especially when they are not that relevant to the thread. THIS thread however is about climate change and posts taking a contrary view to that generally accepted are permissible.

Likewise creationists are allowed, WITHIN REASON, but any creationist who joined simply to turn numerous threads into pro/anti arguments would have such posts deleted, and the member might be banned.
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

careful_eugene wrote:

To be fair, he's not actually denying climate change, I think he's saying something along the lines of "he doesn't give a shit because he probably won't be affected".

Not only do I not deny climate change, I can prove it.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:

A) Woodburner is American? and B) us geologic types can prove climate change with nothing more than a walk through Central Park in NYC, so what are you talking about, .................?.

I'm talking about exactly what you just posted. You are implying "climate change has always happened, without human help". It's classic climate denialism tactics. If that's not what you are doing, then you are trying to confuse and mislead, Russian-troll style.
Catweazle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:

A) Woodburner is American? and B) us geologic types can prove climate change with nothing more than a walk through Central Park in NYC, so what are you talking about, .................?.

I'm talking about exactly what you just posted. You are implying "climate change has always happened, without human help". It's classic climate denialism tactics. If that's not what you are doing, then you are trying to confuse and mislead, Russian-troll style.

Indeed. A common tactic is to point out that temperatures or CO2 levels have been much higher in the past, conveniently ignoring the argument that changes that took thousands of years in the past are now taking centuries.
Catweazle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From NASA:

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/GlobalWarming/page3.php

"Models predict that Earth will warm between 2 and 6 degrees Celsius in the next century. When global warming has happened at various times in the past two million years, it has taken the planet about 5,000 years to warm 5 degrees. The predicted rate of warming for the next century is at least 20 times faster. This rate of change is extremely unusual."
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:

Now run along and tell lies and make up innuendo about someone else.

Last edited by ReserveGrowthRulz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Climate Change All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: