PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it really hard to fathom why many people despise the US?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 52, 53, 54  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
to avoid paying national insurance on dividend payouts,
I haven't heard that one before. Why is a tax called insurance?
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
The myriad depressions in economic history - caused largely by barely regulated, lightly-taxed corporations - still fail to dent many peoples' belief that those corporations can, or are out to, help the poor in any way. They have no interest whatsoever in the poor. ....
Except that the poor are the corporations largest pool of customers and they need them to have enough means (cash or credit) to buy the corporations products.
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stockholm Syndrome
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
emordnilap wrote:
The myriad depressions in economic history - caused largely by barely regulated, lightly-taxed corporations - still fail to dent many peoples' belief that those corporations can, or are out to, help the poor in any way. They have no interest whatsoever in the poor. ....
Except that the poor are the corporations largest pool of customers and they need them to have enough means (cash or credit) to buy the corporations products.

No interest in helping them. But they do need millions and millions of poor people.

and

Little John wrote:
Stockholm Syndrome

Yes.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Quote:
to avoid paying national insurance on dividend payouts,
I haven't heard that one before. Why is a tax called insurance?

The original idea was that payment of national insurance did indeed insure one against unemployment and sickness etc.

In more recent years it has become another type of income tax, with slightly different rules. Payment of national insurance these days does not entitle the payee to anything much beyond that received by anyone who has never paid national insurance.

Employers deduct national insurance and income tax at source before paying the wages to the employee.

Self employed persons can evade national insurance by paying themselves a minimal wage. This increases the profits of the company that they own.

These profits can then be paid as dividends rather than as wages. National insurance is not payable on dividends.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The USA has unemployment insurance of course but the money paid in by employers is called a tax. The rate is six percent of the first $7,000 of wages for each employee. As a state employee I was exempt from the tax for thirty years and as a state employee never missed a paycheck for those years.The size of said paychecks left something to be desired but at least they came in as regular as the bills did. Now that I'm semi retired my employers (AKA money launderers) have paid in about $4500 over eleven years which I can't ever draw against but those are the rules.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venezuela

Quote:
“…The U.S. supports the opposition in Venezuela because we want to help those poor starving people.”

But if that were accurate, we would be tripping over ourselves to help starving and sick people around the world. Instead we (oddly) only seek to help them when they have oil under their feet.

Satire at its best - but satire can be a more useful weapon than diplomat-speak.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US-backed opposition caught on video throwing Molotov cocktails at aid truck on Venezuela border

Quote:
Photos of the incident were immediately used by US officials to double down on their outrage and calls for regime change in Caracas. But footage that has surfaced on social media tells a strikingly different story, pinning the blame on ‘activists’ in the crowd.

vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
US-backed opposition caught on video throwing Molotov cocktails at aid truck on Venezuela border

Quote:
Photos of the incident were immediately used by US officials to double down on their outrage and calls for regime change in Caracas. But footage that has surfaced on social media tells a strikingly different story, pinning the blame on ‘activists’ in the crowd.

How do you sort out who is most to blame here? First video you see might be the most corrupt? Only a fool would trust one side as telling the truth every time.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever, once the US imposes Guaido on Venezuela, the ‘aid’ will flow…and we all know who’ll pay for it.

The US should fúck off and sort out its own problems.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not want to be seen as defending the history of the United States and it's meddling in the affairs of any of the South American countries. The list of dictators helped into power and their atrocious acts and corruption is long and sordid.
I will note though that under some of these regimes the population other then political enemies prospered while under the present dictator people are starving. So you have a choice between the American "great satin" and the corrupt and inept dictator . A clear choice between black pot and black kettle.
In the end though this is about who will control and profit from the huge oil and heavy oil reserves Venezuela has with the US, Russia and China all in contention. Which of those three will give the average guy and his family the best deal in say ten years from now?
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice foot work there V. Despite your initial protestations to the contrary, you have just attempted to justify the sordid removal of a democratically elected president for a Yank CIA stooge.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
Nice foot work there V. Despite your initial protestations to the contrary, you have just attempted to justify the sordid removal of a democratically elected president for a Yank CIA stooge.

You consider him the "Democratically elected" president and his government what the Venezuelan people deserve?
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Little John wrote:

You consider him the "Democratically elected" president and his government what the Venezuelan people deserve?
He was democratically elected. As to whether or not the Venezuelans deserve him, that is for them to democratically decide.
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 52, 53, 54  Next
Page 53 of 54

Jump to: