PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contacting Your MP - Help Required
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received a fairly positive and well considered letter in response, having only sent my email (through http://www.theyworkforyou.com/ - thanks Peter) on Monday.

I know it's a small thing, but every little helps and if more people in positions of power can, at the very least, be encouraged to take a cautious stance about this and be properly informed of the dangers, then surely that has to be a good thing, right?

Just wanted to update all you trolls out there! Wink
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murf wrote:
A good documentary on the experience of a community in the US who have experienced fracking at close quarters is "Split Estate". This is far from the only such documentary, but it can be viewed freely on You Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj1Am482zlo. If fracking can cause such problems in very sparsely populated areas of the USA and Australia, these problems would surely be greatly magnified in a country as densely populated as the UK.

Yes Murf, rather a good documentary. The existing well density is eye-opening and the proposed density is pure madness. America is one sick country.

Each proponent of fracking shown in the film should "volunteer" Wink to live for a couple of years in an affected house. Some of bare-faced spin made me feel like puking.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to my local Conservative Association AGM earlier and listened to my MP quoting figures on water use in fracking that I had supplied him with. Very satisfying!

I am now briefing him on the TTIP agreement that the EU is negotiating with the US and its probable consequences for environmental and employment laws in the EU. The fact that the provisions for safeguarding corporation's interests, the closed appeal tribunals staffed by corporate lawyers, will enable the corporations to have repealed any law that costs a corporation money or receive damages equal to their notional losses.

As the fracking companies in the US are exempt from most environmental laws fracking companies in the EU/UK could apply for damages and repeal of or exemption from similar laws in the EU/UK. Maximum hours laws and minimum wage laws could also be challenged by corporations. Slavery would effectively be back for all workers.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me really glad that you're a Tory. They wouldn't listen to the same stuff coming from a raving leftie like me.

You're obviously a "Turquoise Tory" Very Happy
biffvernon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed. I don't think they'd let me in to my local Conservative Association AGM. Smile
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'd be able to keep a straight face.
ericgarmin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody been on one of those 'Meet your MP' coffee mornings?
johnhemming2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't drink coffee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: