PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peak Oil Lite flyer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GD

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Peak Oil Lite flyer Reply with quote

I wanted to do a flyer that could get peak oil & gas one one side of A5, be short, sweet and simple enough even for children to understand.
Also, I've tried to give a sense of urgency without scaring people sh!tless!
What do you guys/gals think of this? BTW if you like it, feel free to add it to powerswitch materials.

Quote:
Could there be a global energy crisis?

The world has never consumed so much energy as it does today, yet the reserves we rely on are not being significantly extended by new finds. Within our lifetimes, the industrialized world could have problems maintaining the historic increase in energy supply. The global peak of oil production (known as Peak Oil) represents the rate at which the most oil is ever extracted from the Earth. After the peak, we will all be living with less and less. This also applies to natural gas, which will peak shortly after oil. This implies that energy supplies will become increasingly scarce, making them more and more expensive.

When is it going to happen?

It is impossible to accurately predict. Estimates range from around about now to over 30 years in the future. The sustained increases in energy prices recently, which show no sign of letting up, suggest that we could be near to the peak.

But haven't we been through oil supply shocks before?

Yes, but the difference with a declining oil supply is that the problem will not be temporary, meaning the experience of previous oil shocks will provide relatively little guidance.

So I'll drive less, what's the problem?

Oil goes into making an incredible amount of chemical products, including solvents, fertilizers, pesticides, and plastics. It is such an incredibly useful substance, there really is nothing quite like it. A world without oil will be entirely different to the world we live in today.

What about efficiency and switching to renewable fuels?

While these are desirable and would certainly be beneficial, the problem is one of scale. Oil packs an incredible amount of energy per unit of volume, and is easy to transport around the world. The global economy that relies on fossil fuels is enormous, and to make a steady transition will take time - possibly decades. The nearer we are to the peak without preparing ourselves, the more difficult it will be. Renewable energy currently accounts for only a small fraction, and may only ever be able to make up just 40% of today's energy use. Also, government and big business leaders tend to favour a ?business as usual? approach for as long as possible; meaning that they would prefer the dirtier options coal and nuclear before renewable energy, potentially leaving a disastrous environmental legacy for future generations. Indeed, as the UK's gas and oil production is in decline, this is what is currently happening.

Should I be worried?

There are many things that can be done, on personal, local, regional, national and even global levels. But only by taking action can the problems be avoided or at least mitigated. And there's good things going on right here in South Devon. See the resources below to find out more and even get involved.

Books:
Energy beyond oil by Paul Mobbs.
The Party's over by Richard Heinberg.
Twilight in the desert by Matthew Simmons.
Half gone by Jeremy Leggett.

WWW:
www.powerswitch.org.uk
www.transitionculture.org
www.livingonthecusp.org
www.uk.theoildrum.com
caspian

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a good summary of the issues. Just out of interest, whereabouts in South Devon are you based? Totnes?
GD

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not far from there - Ivybridge.

I've done this for a green fair event next weekend.
GD

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another, this I might use as a header on a poster:

Quote:
The global energy crisis and you

Energy - whether it comes from Fossil or Renewable sources - is important to everything we do, and we take so much of it for granted. Every day we flick light switches, drive cars and enjoy warm homes and hot water, but how many of us have ever thought about how we would live without energy?

There is a distinct possibility that we could be nearing the all-time peak in global energy supplies, after which, the supply can only ever shrink. This can be seen as inability to increase supply has caused recent hikes in Gas, Electricity and Petrol prices, which show no sign of easing in the near future. But the implications of a global peak in energy supply go far beyond higher fuel bills - it could change our lives completely.

or

Quote:
The global energy crisis and you

ENERGY - be it from Oil, Gas, Coal, Nuclear, Solar, Wind, Hydro or others sources - how many of us have ever thought about how we would live without it?

There is a distinct possibility that we could be nearing the all-time peak in global energy supplies, after which, the supply can only ever shrink. The implications of which could change our lives completely.
Pippa
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind the flyer trying to convince the general public about Peak Oil. I can't get the idea into the heads of my nearest and dearest! Am becoming pretty despirate about the whole thing - feel like the woman on the beach looking out to sea and screaming "run, run the Tsunami's coming" whilst everyone else on the beach is watching the forest and eating ice cream!
GD

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

err... I think I will go ahead with it, thanks. And I'll be following it up by getting speakers in to give public talks on it too.

The more people get involved, the more likely "the herd" will follow.

It might seem a roundabout way to save your family, getting strangers involved, but that might be what it takes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: