PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

List of Facts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newmac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: List of Facts Reply with quote

Hello Keyboard Activists

As part of the Peak Oil and Energy zone at the Urban Green Fair in June we want to put up posters with a picture and some facts. We are looking for about 30. 10 Peak Oil facts, 10 Energy Facts and 10 What you as an individual can do facts.

These need to be targeted at all ages and probably more at the low level of awareness. We also aren't too bothered with them being fluffy, we do want a certain amout of fear factor.

Please reply with your ideas.

Thanks
snow hope

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea.

Off the top of my head, possibly use the camel analogy - for us in the West it might be translated as,

"My grandfather rode a horse, my father rode a car, I ride a plane, my children will ride a horse"

the next might be too long,

"Everything we do is made possible by cheap energy - oil and gas. What will you do when it starts to run out? How will you get around? How will you buy your food? How will you stay warm? How will we survive?
newmac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more thinking along the lines of:

Peak Oil fact:
The top twenty largest oil reserves were all found over 25 years ago

Energy fact:
Briatin's energy (transport, electricity, heating) mix is made up of x gas, y oil, z nuclear etc

Things you can do fact:
Unplugging a mobile phone recharger when not in use would save you x (is ?15 roughly righ) a year at current prices.

BUT
We are also looking for tag liines to go under each poster to draw the attention back to Peak Oil every time so all is useful
frankd2689

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stab at some PO Facts:-

1981 was the last year we discovered (worldwide) more petroleum than we used. That's 25 years ago !!!

In 2005 we used 6 times as much petroleum as we discovered (Try spending 6 times your salary for a few years).

It is believed that 90% of ALL petroleum deposits have been discovered.

It is likely that every year from now on we will produce less petroleum year on year.

The reserves that we use will become increainly difficult to extract and refine so they will be more expensive.

The rising cost of increasingly scarce oil will cause economic disruption in all countries, industries and markets.

Feel free to remove the obvious waffling ('It is likely..." "It is believed...").

Cheers
Smile
newmac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can youtake a look at the proposals below and check for any inaccuracies and/or propose better ones. Cheers

The world uses 1000 barrels of oil a second. That's an Olympic size swimming pool every 16 seconds.

The total amount of oil available for us to use is roughly the size of Lake Geneva. We've used about half.

Global oil discovery peaked in the early 1960s. We've been finding progressively less ever since. 1981 was the last year more oil was found in the world than was consumed. In 2005 we used about 6 times as much oil as we discovered.

The rate that oil comes out of a reservoir increases to a peak and then decreases. When put together all the reserves in the world follow the same pattern. Many people believe we are near the global oil peak.

Ghawar is the biggest oil field ever found at 66-100 Gb (Gigabarrels) (equivalent to about 3 years worth of current oil use) was found in 1948.
Burgan in Kuwait was probably the second biggest (32-60Gb) and was discovered in 1938.
Then:
Safaniya Saudi Arabia 1951 21-36Gb
Bolivar Coastal Venezuela 1917 14-36Gb
Berri Saudi Arabia 1964 10-25Gb
Rumalia N&S Iraq 1953 22Gb
Zakum Abu Dhabi 1964 17-21Gb
Cantarell ComplexMexico 1976 11-20Gb

Notice that the most recent was 30 years ago.

Britain's North Sea oil production peaked in the 1999. The North Sea gas production peaked in 2004/2005.

The oil we use took over 120 millions years to make (far underground with high pressure and a lot of heat). We've used about half of it in 150 years. All that time we've been using more and more. The second half will be with using less and less.

The greatest danger from peak oil is that we do something foolish in response to it

There are no currently known alternatives that can replace our loil needs. Many alternatives produce electricity but oil is used for far more than that: transport fuel, heating, plastics, roads to name a few.

In the 1980s ac group of countries called OPEC (Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries) added over 300 billion barrels of oil to their reserves without much evidence of their existence. That's enougfh to last the world about 10 years. Whether these reserves exist is hotly disputed. Our governements take accept these figures without question despite there being obvious polictical reasons for them being false.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newmac wrote:
Britain's North Sea oil production peaked in the 1999. The North Sea gas production peaked in 2004/2005.

Mixing UK North Sea and total North see could confuse. UK North Sea gas peaked 2001.

How about the distinctions that OECD extraction has peaked, convention oil has peaked and trot out the list of majors who have also peaked (Shell, Chevron, Exxon, Total etc...)
Totally_Baffled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chris - trot at the countries in the world that have already peaked like the UK , out of 40 odd oil producing nations (significant ones) i think over 25 are in decline ! Shocked

I would avoid the fact about "discovering" less oil than we consume one because of reserve growth.

If 10 billion barrels are discovered in any one year for example, a lot more than 10 billion can be produced over the production lifetimes of those new discoveries Confused

I guess reserve growth also cocks up the "we use 4 barrels" for every 1 we find stat as well Confused

Peak oil? ahhh smeg..... Sad
skeptik

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally_Baffled wrote:

I guess reserve growth also cocks up the "we use 4 barrels" for every 1 we find stat as well Confused

Well you never know until you've produced it!

A few years ago all the parties then involved envisaged ever increasing oil production from the North Sea out as far as 2010. And look what happened!

It's a funny old complicated game, to be sure...
Confused
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally_Baffled wrote:
I agree with Chris - trot at the countries in the world that have already peaked like the UK , out of 40 odd oil producing nations (significant ones) i think over 25 are in decline ! Shocked

Ahem:

http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1635

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: