PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the frack thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48, 49, 50  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In 2008 Barack Obama said, "Government whistleblowers are part of a healthy democracy and must be protected from reprisal." Obama has since prosecuted twice as many whistleblowers as all previous US presidents.

From here. A good read, please forward it to your government representatives.
mobbsey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Constitution, schmonstitution.

What do you mean? America has the best political system money can buy!
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the wrong thread to put this info. It should really go in a 'mega-burning of fossil fuels is really really bad for the planet - worse than your wildest nightmares' type of thread.

Anyway, it's a comment to an article, which says burning gas may be less bad than coal for emitting greenhouse gases when burnt, but coal has the advantage of producing particles which block sunlight.

Phew. Nice to see some balance in the debate, eh?
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYzU4bEfJ5U&feature=youtu.be

This a disturbing talk (half an hour) from Deborah Rogers, which everyone, whether you're anti- or pro-pollution, should watch and digest. Yes, it's about the fracking industry in America and yes, regulations tend to be tighter over this side of the Atlantic.

But.

Deborah Rogers read out what she wrote:
"Production is at the expense of conventional projects.
Reserves do not have to be independently verified.
Jobs have been overstated.
Revenues and taxes have been overstated.
Well decline curves are very steep so security of supply is very questionable.
Reserve estimates have jumped considerably on company books.

This is not a pretty picture."

Quote:
Financial analyst Deborah Rogers has served on the Advisory Council for the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas since 2008. She was appointed in 2011 by the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) to a task force reviewing placement of air monitors in the Barnett Shale region in light of air quality concerns brought about by the natural gas operations in North Texas. She joined a regional steering committee for the Oil and Gas Accountability Project (OGAP) in 2011 with responsibility for economic questions.

Ms. Rogers got involved in natural gas when she learned that an energy company planned 12 high impact wells next to her property, Deborah's Farmstead, a nationally recognized artisanal cheese-making dairy. Her website, Energy Policy Forum (http://energypolicyforum.com/), discusses the complex problems inherent in shale gas.

emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please sign this petition.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Ban_Fracking_Ireland/
JohnB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
mobbsey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! After reading this I'm convinced -- everything we do is just so wrong and manipulated by unseen sinister forces outside of our power...
http://www.science20.com/science_20/shale_gas_faux_danger-87684

Shocked Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mobbsey wrote:
Wow! After reading this I'm convinced -- everything we do is just so wrong and manipulated by unseen sinister forces outside of our power...
http://www.science20.com/science_20/shale_gas_faux_danger-87684

Shocked Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

I give in.
mobbsey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 striking articles from the Australian-based news site, FarmOnline. Whilst fracking has got a lot of attention, coalbed methane is becoming more prominent in current proposals coming forward in the north-west, Yorkshire/Humberside, South Wales and Merseyside.

P.

Quote:
http://sl.farmonline.com.au/news/nationalrural/agribusiness-and-general/general/what-us-ranchers-wish-theyd-done-differently/2480721.aspx

What US ranchers wish theyd done differently

Colin Bettles, FarmOnline, 8th March 2012

WYOMING ranchers Erwin Tooter Rogers and wife Jo never welcomed the coal seam gas (CSG) industry known as coalbed methane in the US onto their farm.

But it has changed it forever.

They say salty discharge water from methane wells operating upstream has flooded their creek and saturated their alfalfa producing fields, reducing its capacity to grow a decent crop which now returns 50 per cent less hay than it did before the methane mining boom started about 12 years ago.

{SNIP}

Quote:
http://sl.farmonline.com.au/news/nationalrural/agribusiness-and-general/general/when-a-power-hub-powers-down/2480685.aspx

When a power hub powers down

THE Powder River Basin (PRB) is one of the United States biggest energy producing hubs.

But local ranchers say its now finding new and unwanted recognition as Americas poster-child for how not to develop coal seam gas (CSG) mining.

{SNIP}

Quote:
http://sl.farmonline.com.au/news/nationalrural/agribusiness-and-general/general/csg-headache-on-the-powder-river/2480726.aspx

CSG headache on the Powder River

Bill and Marjorie West have been farming at Spotted Horse Creek on the Powder River for almost 60 years and battling the coalbed methane mining issue for the past decade, with five companies operating more than 100 wells on their land.

In the first 10 years of coalbed methane, Mr West (pictured) said the mining companies paid their royalties on time and ranchers like him made a lot of money.

But recently hes had issues getting them to pay royalties owed to his family and deal with the water legacy they have left behind.

{SNIP}

Quote:
http://sl.farmonline.com.au/news/nationalrural/agribusiness-and-general/general/csg-effects-washing-far-downstream/2480730.aspx

CSG effects washing far downstream

MONTANA rancher Art Hayes Junior farms 65 kilometres and across a State boundary from the nearest coal seam gas (CSG) wells in Wyoming.

But in the past 15 years he and other local ranchers have seen CSGs ugly side wash downstream and into Montana.

Mr Hayes says the effects of CSG known as coalbed methane in the US have been a constant source of frustration for him and other south east Montana farmers, since the CSG boom started in the Powder River Basin in the late 1990s.

{SNIP}
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And those companies wonder why they and their technologies are not welcome in other countries! Shocked
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.campaigncc.org/nationalantifrackingmeeting

St Patrick's day!

We''l be handing out stickers and leaflets during our town parade that day.
fifthcolumn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like fracking because it pays my bills.
mobbsey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fifthcolumn wrote:

One day I look forward to lining up you and your kind against a wall and feeding you all organically grown/hand prepared tofu, steamed roots and wholegrains, with a hedgerow-sourced salad. Twisted Evil

Of course as eco-hippies go I'm pretty liberal... some of my friends would drag you into a sweat-lodge and perform a three day healing ceremony on your soul.
Eternal Sunshine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fifthcolumn wrote:

In what way does it pay your bills?

http://www.srtt.co.uk/
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably because he's in the industry.

How does the phrase go?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 4 of 50

Jump to: