PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Companies going bankrupt/into administration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another company in trouble is Poundstretcher

There is carnage on the High Street - it will get worse
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a few minutes spare in town last week and went into a Poundstrecher. I was amazed how expensive it was! I have a good (geeky) awareness of prices per 100g, 100ml etc and their prices were typically higher than the local Tesco.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed from this thread a number of recent posts about the future of high street retailing in general.

Please keep this thread on the subject of specific company failures.
And yes I know that it was me that "started the rot" by posting about the future of high street retailing in general.

If you wish to discuss the future of retailing in more general terms, then please contribute to the new thread which may be found here
http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26761
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one teetering on the edge: Bargain Booze

An alarmingly swift collapse:
Quote:
From the first sign of trouble to the brink of failure took just 21 days.

Little John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local butchers - Bell Butchers

Now that's specific

The first straw was the opening of an Asda 3 miles up the road a few years ago. The last straw was the closure of Barclays bank in our town 3 months ago. A lot of people, from adjacent villages, used to come to Loftus to do their banking at Barclays and then spent money in the butchers. Now, they go to nearby Saltburn to do their banking and then end up spending their money in the supermarket there.

He's not closed yet. But, he has put it up for sale and has told me if he does not get a buyer in the next few months he will just walk away.

One upside is that I might lose a bit of weight.

I like meat pies and Mick makes exceedingly good meat pies.

Poor bugger.
cubes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of the problem with local shops such as butchers is that both members of a couple work and working hours nowdays are pretty long. The shops are often closed before people leave work and thus lose the custom.

It may well be better for the butcher to open at, say, midday and stay open until 8pm than open at 9am. However, I'm probably wrong Sad
Little John

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was, until recently, open from 8am till 8pm. Though, he has given that up and now closes at 5pm because it made no significant difference.
cubes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people can't see the benefit of making an effort to keep small shops going and so exclusively use the big shops and the like of the South American River. This is despite the fact that these retailers pay very little tax which then has to be made up from personal taxation. We get cheaper, or so we think, produce from the big boys but then pay for it in higher taxation and fewer services. And I get pilloried for conducting a campaign against tax avoiders.
Little John

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Most people can't see the benefit of making an effort to keep small shops going and so exclusively use the big shops and the like of the South American River. This is despite the fact that these retailers pay very little tax which then has to be made up from personal taxation. We get cheaper, or so we think, produce from the big boys but then pay for it in higher taxation and fewer services. And I get pilloried for conducting a campaign against tax avoiders.
Most people round here are working flat out on 12 hour shifts in zero hours contracts for minimum wage (or less when their expenses are taken into account), assuming they can find a job, and so cannot afford to do anything but shop at the cheapest outlet. It's as simple and as brutal as that.

The kind of world you appear to live in Ken, where one can afford to salve one's social and political conscience with "ethical" purchasing is a luxury very few can afford in the world I live in.

And, yes, of course, in the long run, choosing the cheap supermarket over the more expensive local shop, in the long run, does the entire system in. But, when one's time horizon of concerns extend only so far as how to manage to pay the rent and feed one's kids by the end of the month, such loftier concerns tend to be neither here nor there.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermarkets are often not the cheapest place to buy food and if you're unemployed, although I do recognise that that situation is a small minority nowadays, you have plenty of time to shop around.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I've just deleted a post on this thread with a link to a German speaking website with a Swiss flag on it.
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just the High Street that is suffering:

BBC Kleeneze goes into admin
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to have been yet another victim of a supposed Upgrade.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, I do sometimes go shopping.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like clothes made out of natural material. And you just don't find them on the high street any more, unless you're prepared to take out a 2nd mortgage. Which is odd when you consider (for example) woollen fleeces are rotting in the fields, and bamboo grows like a weed - well it does on our allotment anyway Smile

Are there, I wonder, lots of folk like me out there, whom Marketing simply hasn't discovered yet?

My most recent exploits involved slippers. Edinburgh Woollen Mill (note the name!) doesn't sell wool ones anymore: you have to go to Fenwick & shell out 90 quid! But Sheepskin World (online) sell lovely ones for 1/5 of that!

Yeah: I bought like a Russian Very Happy

Rant Over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 37 of 40

Jump to: