PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why world food prices may keep climbing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energy-village wrote:
We already have rationing (by price or highest bidder). But I agree we need a fairer system or there is going to be chaos as living and energy costs soar.

Yes, we choose to live in a plutocracy. One //$, one vote. TEQs are a sane way of choosing to live democratically.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After falling a bit, the price of wheat has increased substantialy in the last day or two, and is close to the previous record.
The dry weather in many parts of Europe will lead to a poor harvest, and the floods in the USA wont help either (AFAIK not much wheat was grown in the area afflicted by floods, but other food crops will be lost, and all foodstuffs are partialy related in price)
cubes

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
energy-village wrote:
We already have rationing (by price or highest bidder). But I agree we need a fairer system or there is going to be chaos as living and energy costs soar.

Yes, we choose to live in a plutocracy. One //$, one vote. TEQs are a sane way of choosing to live democratically.

You know as well as everyone else that TEQs will be subverted to become a tool of the rich/powerful.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly; but anything is an improvement on the current inequity.
DominicJ

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you pass insane laws, people will just move to avoid them, its happened before, it will happen again.

How is it so hard to grasp that Saudi and Australia can just sell oil and caol tio china instead of to us?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is now yesterdays news, but has anyone observed the wheat price recently ?

Increased substantialy in the last few days, partly due to concerns that the drought in the USA will seriously reduce wheat yields.
Prices are now at a 12 month high, and I expect them to increase furthur as the harvest is not due for some while.
I would expect that UK wheat crops might be impaired by the recent heavy rain ? or is the rain early enough that it helps growth of the wheat, rather than causing rot ?

One can of course live without wheat, but the prices of other staple foods are also increasing significantly.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
One can of course live without wheat

This true. Have you ever tried it though? Not easy. A worthwhile exercise, as it gets you thinking more about what you eat.
Tarrel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A colleague of mine is gluten-intolerant (fairly recently diagnosed), and he does find living without wheat a real pain, especially if he is "on the road". If you're home-based and can choose what you cook and eat, I guess it's not so bad.

Said colleague came over for a work-session at our house a couple of months ago, and stayed for lunch. It took a bit of head-scratching to come up with something quick and light, but not involving wheat. We went for chilli on baked potatoes in the end. (OK, not so light, but it was delicious!)
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tarrel wrote:
A colleague of mine is gluten-intolerant (fairly recently diagnosed), and he does find living without wheat a real pain, especially if he is "on the road".

It could be the case many more people are 'intolerant' of gluten but don't realise it. Wasn't there an athlete who vastly improved his/her performance after going gluten-free recently?

Tarrel wrote:
If you're home-based and can choose what you cook and eat, I guess it's not so bad.

If you like bread, it's not easy. Otherwise, yes, it's possible at home - rice pasta and corn/buckwheat products can be excellent. All our pasta and noodles are brown rice based (and organic of course), because we prefer it.
Tarrel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It could be the case many more people are 'intolerant' of gluten but don't realise it. Wasn't there an athlete who vastly improved his/her performance after going gluten-free recently?

My colleague was suffering a kind of malaise for years before being diagnosed with the problem. Now he knows about it, and avoids wheat products, he feels loads better. He says he didn't know how bad he had been feeling until he felt better, if you see what I mean.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather-related food shortages here, here, here, here, here and here. Found casually browsing, not even trying. The teens the decade of famine?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More increases today.
Most foodstuffs have set new price records in the last day or two.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheat prices rise again, to another 12 month high.
Suprised that this is not getting more publicity.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another record set, and by a significant margin too.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business/market_data/commodities/158426/twelve_month.stm
Link to chart.

EDIT Long after the original post, note that the above link goes to the CURRENT price graph, not the one reffered to in my post

Last edited by adam2 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
ujoni08

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that graph is shooting up! Massive droughts across the US, flooding and water-logged fields here... it's got to end badly Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: