PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Bed / Temporary bed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CountingDown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Air Bed / Temporary bed Reply with quote

Anyone got any good recommendations on a good double airbed / other temporary bed that people might be prepared / have to sleep on for an extended period in a crisis?

This is Christmas preparations with a view to the future Smile
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air beds have there uses, but cheap ones invariably burst or leak, very cheap ones are not even properly airtight when purchased.
Also they are not entirely satisfactory to sleep on because they are impervious resulting in damp and condensation building up on the upper surface and the bedding becoming damp or even wet.
The large volume of air tends to circulate within the air bed resulting in them being cold if placed on a cold surface.
If air beds must be used in cold conditions, then have a spare against bursting/leakage, and place a thick wool blanket between the air bed and the bottom sheet. This should be removed and aired/dried daily.

Military style folding camp beds can be a better option, remember that they provide very little insulation under the sleeper, a thick wool blanket is again required under the bottom sheet, as well as blankets or a duvet on top. At least being pervious, damp should not be a problem, and they cant deflate !
Such items should be relatively new, the canvas on old ones may have perished and not reliably bear the weight of a person.

If planning for both Christmas guests, and for the longer term, then bunk beds are well worth consideration.
In a bedroom normally used by one person, consider a bunk bed. Either sleep in the bottom one and use the upper one for seasonal storage, or sleep in the upper one and use the bottom one as a table or workbench.
A second person is then readily accomadeted.
Most bunk beds are rather small and mainly intended for kids, but larger sizes do exist, and can be made with basic carpentry skills.

Last edited by adam2 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
featherstick

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Adam said.

Present for Men have some very nice cotton mattresses that roll-up. They're a bit pricey, but I would buy one.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was worth reviving this old thread.
I will shortly be staying with friends, and load testing the new sleeping arrangments (it is alleged that I have gotten stout)

They have a relatively new and spacious single floor home, with 6 bedrooms in regular use, and 2 other rooms that can be used as guest bedrooms.

In one room, an elevated bed has been built with the sleeping platform about 1.2M above floor level.
The vertical supports and side frames are of substantial timber, with the mattress supported on steel mesh, so as to allow of ventilation.
The mattress is a standard double size in the interest of economy and easy sourcing of replacements. The base is however about 300mm longer than a standard double mattress, so as to suit tall persons. The gap being filled by a block of foam.

The space under this raised bed is largely filled with dexion racking for crates of doomer supplies, this being covered with a curtain in the interest of neatness and excluding dust.

Adjacent to the bed is a strong table/workbench, this will easily bear the weight of a person and may be stood upon to facilitate bed making.
A shelf and reading light are suitably placed for use of the person using the bed, and the room light may be switched from the doorway or whilst in bed.

Very considerable extra storage space is obtained thus, in what was originaly a store room with a "blow up and burst" bed.

The younger son desires this room, and will probably move into it, with the kids present room becoming a spare room.
SleeperService

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a large gentleman and quite happily sleep on a futon when staying with friends. It makes a comfy chair when stored away. Beats their sofa bed hands down.
JavaScriptDonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
In one room, an elevated bed has been built with the sleeping platform about 1.2M above floor level.

I've made similar arrangements when trying to squeeze more space out of small rooms.

I use T&G floor boards to make the base of the bed where the mattress rests and 3" timbers for runners. I fix one runner to the wall (or walls) using suitable rawl plugs and build the rest of the bed off that.

I've never had a problem with damp under the beds or mattresses.

Not only is the extra storage space is very useful but you can fit a single bed across rooms that might not otherwise accommodate one.
featherstick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing - I was wandering down to the library today thinking aboout building a bunkbed in one or other of the rooms in our new house. Thanks for the steer, folks.
jonny2mad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you guys saw the numbers of airbeds I landfilled last week it would break your heart Shocked

They are one of the most common items left at the end of pop festivals and are not recycled .

And I like self inflating mattresses like thermarests, not the sort of thing you guys are talking about because they are more camping mattresses, but Ive slept out on ice on them

optimism is cowardice oswald spengler
Kentucky Fried Panda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a futon in the spare room, mostly used as a couch during the day, but easily adapted for sleeping.
If your heart is set on an inflatable look for an Aerobed. They're the dog's danglies of inflatable beds.
DominicJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I slept on a lilo for quite a while once.
Damp was an issue, thought I'd piddled in my sleep at first...

Eventualy, I was blowing it up half way through the night
Kentucky Fried Panda

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DominicJ wrote:

What's a lilo, is it a Lindsay Lohan sex doll?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentucky Fried Panda wrote:
DominicJ wrote:

What's a lilo, is it a Lindsay Lohan sex doll?

It is or was a trade name for a brand of "blow up and burst" air bed.
Often misused to refer to any blow up and burst, just as many people call any vacuum cleaner a hoover.
DominicJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consider mine a knock off then.

A blow up pool toy.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an air-bed that's lasted for decades. But that's because I tend to treat things carefully. Those camp-beds with "w"-shaped cross-section braces holding cloth across the top are more robust, and you don't have to worry about sharp objects.

When I was a kid, we used to have a sofa-bed of a type I haven't seen for years, where the backrest could be lowered flat to form one 1/2 of a double-bed, the seat forming the other 1/2 (the width of the sofa was the length of the bed). It's built like a tank and (I think) RenewableFrere still has it, meaning that it must have reached its 1/2-century by now.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
I have an air-bed that's lasted for decades.

Likewise here. And the original footpump bought at the same time. They both got a lot of use during their first 15 years; now they're occasionally dragged out for 'occasions'. Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: