PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stock up on bedsheets, bathtowels etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nexus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh, too bad, it's 2 years out of fashion again. You should throw that out...

Laughing

I'm gonna hang on to it until it becomes trendy again.
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lulubel wrote:
My "personal towel set" was bought from M&S about 20 years ago, and they're still going strong. They're got a few claw catches in them from where the cats used to balance on them when they were hung on the bannisters to dry, but other than that they're still going strong. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another 20 years of life in them yet.

For anyone based in the NW looking for towels, I'd recommend the Christy Factory shop in Hyde:
http://www.christy-towels.com/

Christy Mill Shop
Newton Street
Hyde
SK15 4NR

Christy towels are high quality and indestructible, but a bit pricey.
The factory shop does good deals, end of lines etc.
the_lyniezian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

featherstick wrote:
nexus wrote:
One of the duvet covers that we use was bought for me as a present in 1988 from John Lewis - it's still fine, slightly faded but great design and no holes.

Oh, too bad, it's 2 years out of fashion again. You should throw that out...

What?!? Duvet covers even have fashions? ( Wink )

Seriously, though, I can't see myself being bothered. I do have new duvet covers (EDIT: and other bed linen) but only 'cause my Dad probably took a few when he moved out.
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
It's a good point. Clothes, shoes etc are probably about as cheap as they've ever been and ever will be.

Raw material prices are increasing, developing world labour rates are increasing and Sterling's exchange rate is unlikely to improve in the foreseeable future.

If you have the storage space, I think buying a decade's supply of clothes, shoes, towels, bedding etc is no bad thing.

Anyone know a good place on-line for buying bedding?
I've already started that process. Being six foot five inches tall and taking size sixteen shoes I am already paying well over the odds. God knows what a pair of shoes will cost me in a few year's time. Thus, I am going to buy a new pair every month for the next few months and put them into storage.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size 16 !! I thought mine were big at size 13.
I would advise anyone to stock up on shoes and boots, but this is especialy important if taking an unusually large size that even in normal times is expensive and hard to find.

Whilst I would not recomend looting, in case of TEOTWAWKI, it must just possibly be justified. But how many size 16 shoes do you expect to find in the average high street ?
SleeperService

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve

The army boots are avaliable in size 16 but only to unit order. There isn't likely to be many get into surplus stores. I have completely failed to find out who makes them except that they're German. I will keep trying.
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SleeperService wrote:
steve

The army boots are avaliable in size 16 but only to unit order. There isn't likely to be many get into surplus stores. I have completely failed to find out who makes them except that they're German. I will keep trying.
If you find out, let me know!!
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Size 16 !! I thought mine were big at size 13.
I would advise anyone to stock up on shoes and boots, but this is especialy important if taking an unusually large size that even in normal times is expensive and hard to find.

Whilst I would not recomend looting, in case of TEOTWAWKI, it must just possibly be justified. But how many size 16 shoes do you expect to find in the average high street ?
In a word, none. I have to buy all of mine online
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In days of yore, so they tell me, when sheets wore out in the middle they were cut in 1/2 lengthways and the 2 sides sewn together so the non-worn portions were in the middle ("sides-to-middle"). What surprises me about this little tale is: we've had the same sheets etc here at Chateau Renewable for the best part of 20 years and they're still OK.

Which means that either, old sheets didn't wear as well (perhaps polycotton lasts better than just-cotton), were washed more viciously (every Monday without fail, and bashed-about to get all the coal/soil stains out, from people who'd had to do proper work and not had the luxury of a long shower before bed), or else the average set of bed-linen was much older than 20 years...

People sometimes ask, "What should I get you for Xmas/Birthday?". Nice sets of bedclothes, that could be a useful answer!
Tarrel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got a couple of such renovated bedsheets inherited from other half's parents. The stitching provides a useful demarcation line in case one or the other decides they want to hog more than their share of the bed!
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they didn't cut their toenails as often, RC?
frank_begbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past few years I've used a sleeping bag on top of the bed.

A different one for each season.

At the moment I'm using a jungle bag, very light but just enough to keep you warm.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
In days of yore, so they tell me, when sheets wore out in the middle they were cut in 1/2 lengthways and the 2 sides sewn together so the non-worn portions were in the middle ("sides-to-middle"). What surprises me about this little tale is: we've had the same sheets etc here at Chateau Renewable for the best part of 20 years and they're still OK.

Which means that either, old sheets didn't wear as well (perhaps polycotton lasts better than just-cotton), were washed more viciously (every Monday without fail, and bashed-about to get all the coal/soil stains out, from people who'd had to do proper work and not had the luxury of a long shower before bed), or else the average set of bed-kit was much older than 20 years...

People sometimes ask, "What should I get you for Xmas/Birthday?". Nice sets of bedclothes, that could be a useful answer!

I can not recomend the practice of cutting worn sheets in half lengthways and sewing together with the worn parts at the edges. The seam down the middle is uncomfortable and liable to come apart.
Better to buy new, and to reuse the good parts of the worn out sheets to make pillow cases or small sheets for infants.

Good qaulity all cotton sheets might last 20 years with gentle laundering, and several sets in use, such that each one is only used perhaps every third week.
I think that 8 or 10 years life is probably more realistic when planning for replacements, presuming two pairs of sheets per bed, one in use and one in the wash (so for each bed, allow for 4 new sheets every 8 or 10 years, or an average of one every couple of years. For a household with 4 beds that is about 2 new sheets needed every year on average. A couple of dozen spares is not excessive therefore if planning for the long term)

Poly cotton sheets should last a lot longer than all cotton, but are IMHO a poor substitute, arguably worth keeping some as reserve stock.

All wool blankets last from perhaps 10 years in daily use, up to a lifetime for those used only briefly in mid winter.
One replacement every 5 years, per bed, might be a fair estimate if planning for the long emergency.
No large stock of pillow cases is needed if the intention is to make these from the good parts of worn out sheets.
Bed linen is certainly a useful gift, keeps well, is not bulky, and is bound to be needed eventually.

Last edited by adam2 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
JohnB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
I can not recomend the practice of cutting worn sheets in half lengthways and sewing together with the worn parts at the edges. The seam down the middle is uncomfortable and liable to come apart.
Better to buy new, and to reuse the good parts of the worn out sheets to make pillow cases or small sheets for infants.

I used one for ages, but put it on top of me rather than underneath, and didn't find it uncomfortable. If they come apart, it's because it was joined by someone who didn't have the sewing skills of my Mum and aunts!

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted in previous posts, good qaulity all new wool blankets are increasingly expensive.

I recently purchased some on ebay, they are said to be government surplus, new un-issued, and to be made from 100% new wool in a natural off white colour.
Not the mixed fibre grey recycled sort.

I do not think that these are as thick and heavy as in years gone by, but still good for the price.

Ebay link deleted as the blankets are no longer available.

Last edited by adam2 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: