PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions to ask PO deniers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandidoz
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Questions to ask PO deniers Reply with quote

After quite a heated exchange I had this evening against the speaker in a room full of engineers, I had posed (at least) the following questions:

Quote:
If you say Peak Oil is wrong (because it's just the oil companies telling you what they want you to believe), how do you explain that the production of light-sweet crude peaked in 2004?
How do you explain that the US oil production peaked in 1970?
How do you explain that the UK oil production peaked in 2000?
You have to find oil before you can produce it, and discoveries peaked in the 1960s.
You would have to believe there's a grand conspiracy by the oil companies to extort money.

Various people in the audience threw comments in such as "So what about the UK, there's plenty of other producers", "There are unexplored areas that are being scanned, what about Australia, what about the Falkland Islands"........
I pretty much stopped the argument there, because no audience (or moderator) enjoys a protracted argument.

Afterwards I thought about it, and perhaps I should have posed the following:

Quote:
Who is the world's swing producer now?
The swing producer regulates their supply to meet demand.
Up to 1970 it was the US. They hit peak production and have been flat out ever since.
Then it was Saudi Arabia. They are now running flat out.
In fact, every province is running flat out.
Which can only mean one thing. Supply is now controlling met-demand.
So we're near to Global Peak Production now!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: