PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French protests over fuel prices etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodburner

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is probably the most reliable source of information as to what is happening in France, and the system which the EU is hoping to inflict on all the other countries, including the UK if it is still in the EU, using the “EU police force”. A handy gadget as “policemen” are shipped in from another country, so they have no thought for the people they are inflicting their “authority” on.

Source

And something else the French “authorities” are up to:

More
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't at all happy about being told that because I don't like the EU that I hate the French or the Germans.

The proposed EU army will be used in a similar way with our army based in barracks somewhere else in the EU and someone else's army being based here in the UK so that if they are told to fire on a crowd they will have fewer qualms about gunning down unarmed civilians.

I'll listen to the rest of the video later.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macron is in bother, Le Pen has got more votes in the EU election.

https://youtu.be/Lfi7rTYi-2A

And Macron doing a May look alike, and refusing to change policies. Stubborn or what?

https://youtu.be/T1Q1zhl9SDc
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Fairlie on the Gilets Jaunes:

End of the Month, End of the World
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still surprises me that many people regard the French yellow vest protestors as being allies of the UK climate change protestors.

The French protestors central demand is cheaper road fuel in order that more people can afford to burn more of it and thereby worsen climate change.
A subsidiary demand is for higher speed limits or reduced speeding fines in order that even more fuel can be burnt.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raspberry-blower wrote:

Thanks for sharing, as usual Fairlie makes useful contribution.
Little John

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
It still surprises me that many people regard the French yellow vest protestors as being allies of the UK climate change protestors.

The French protestors central demand is cheaper road fuel in order that more people can afford to burn more of it and thereby worsen climate change.
A subsidiary demand is for higher speed limits or reduced speeding fines in order that even more fuel can be burnt.
That is not accurate in my view Adam. Yes, to be sure, the initial protests were about fuel prices. But, those protests have since morphed into something much bigger than that. Indeed, I don' think they ever were fundamentally about petrol prices. That issue was merely the trigger.

Last edited by Little John on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raspberry-blower wrote:

6,000 Euro per year on their CAR!?!?!

Was that number in the article right? Is it that expensive in France, or Europe in general, to keep a car running?

For $6000 US (which is quite a bit less than 6000 Euro), I could buy a used car every year, insure it, run it, slap a set of tires on it, and do the entire thing all over again the next year, including BUYING another car.

I'm in the 3rd year for a $2800US purchased car, the most expensive running cost of which is insurance. Other than $500/year in fuel and a set of new tires and some wiper blades, it has done yeoman's work ever since I bought it.
woodburner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:

“Worsen climate change”?

You have no justification for that statement.

The protests were because of general increases of energy supplies as I understand, that means domestic electricity. However, getting the truth in this situation is going to be difficult given the mis-information put about by the government.
cubes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
raspberry-blower wrote:

6,000 Euro per year on their CAR!?!?!

Skimming the article I think that figure may include fuel.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
adam2 wrote:

“Worsen climate change”?

Sure he does. Once upon a time, the climate changed in huge and terribly inconvenient ways for humans. Coming out of the last ice age as one example, the 2 melt water pulses of the early Holocene, where sea level rose far faster than it is today, 6-7m in just a century or so.

During the time folks have been watching thermometers, and in those places, the trend has been warming. I don't think it is unreasonable to admit that at all. Obviously these changes in temperature are making people wildly unhappy, no doubt as it did back when the effects were even more pronounced with things like sea level rise during the Holocene Optimum.

As long as you define one period of time as good, or a reference point, then arguably ANY change from that baseline is a worsening. Doesn't matter which direction really, undoubtedly humans were screaming bloody murder during the LIA as well. The point is, it is the CHANGE that throws everyone into a tizzy, and to create a change, just pin down one reference, say, "This was it!!" and then soil yourself when some metric or another tells you that it isn't IT..anymore.

Come on woodburner, this is not much different than peak oil at all, the game is just being played in a different arena when it turned out that no good doom showed up there. The problem being, PO is a good one for a fast crash, climate change not so much.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
“Worsen climate change”?

Here's a YouTube video for you, woodburner, of an American congress woman asking an ex Exonn scientist whether Exxon knew about global warming in the 1980s. He confirms that he told them about global warming and predicted it correctly at 1 degC by now and that humans burning oil would cause it.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
woodburner wrote:
“Worsen climate change”?

Here's a YouTube video for you, woodburner, of an American congress woman asking an ex Exonn scientist whether Exxon knew about global warming in the 1980s. He confirms that he told them about global warming and predicted it correctly at 1 degC by now and that humans burning oil would cause it.

Yes, we oil and gas folks are aware that there is a reason why we get paid pretty well, and not to get stuff wrong.

So Exxon knew! Fortunate that this wasn't illegal, nor is the publication of company research required.

Now, who exactly did all this conversion of consumer products into CO2 emissions and whatnot? Wait! That wasn't Exxon? How amazing!!

And was Exxon the only folks who knew that CO2 was a greenhouse gas? Apparently not, as there was a fine young lady in the 1850's who apparently discovered it! Even before Drake drilled his first oil well in the US!

Just imagine, if people had given a crap, we could have stopped this railroad train to hell before it started!!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Exxon scientists knew so probably did those of other companies. Yes, extracting and selling oil was and still is legal, and deceiving the public over the results of the use of their product was probably not a crime but perhaps it should be. People like woodburner still believe their lies.

We might get them under advertising standards legislation in the UK but the fines for that would be made up in a few hours of sales.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
If Exxon scientists knew so probably did those of other companies.

I agree. And I'll bet that while global cooling was all a thing for awhile during the early 70's, there were folks who knew that it was likely to be a crock because of the known effects of CO2. Sort of like me and peak oilers. Smile

The politically correct effort afoot here appears to be that they did research, and then they didn't tell anyone about the results. Indeed, they even funded research that didn't necessarily agree with their own. In the real world we call that science, but hindsight is only looking for deep pockets in this case. The global cooling folks should be sued for getting everyone to believe that maybe the world needed the CO2 to not enter the next ice age.

kenneal-lagger wrote:

Yes, extracting and selling oil was and still is legal, and deceiving the public over the results of the use of their product was probably not a crime but perhaps it should be. People like woodburner still believe their lies.

America is currently turning nearly everything you can think of into a crime, and if it can't, it makes it politically incorrect, and then you get crucified for that. Makes it difficult to even venture an opinion in mixed company, and as of late, if you dare mention that you aren't going to get involved in a topic in question because it will lead to immediate labeling and stereotyping, you are roundly castigated for even that.

And try to get a law passed outlawing the use of XOM's products. Folks think the Yellow Jackets are enthusiastic protesters, Americans have guns.

Improper use of any product can be construed as a crime, if you want to play that logic. After suffering from water poisoning, do you think the heavy drinker of the substance should hold the local utility legally liable for not warning them of such a thing?

As far as what people believe, Woodburn is allowed to belief whatever he wants to no different than peak oilers. Last I looked, people are free to BELIEVE whatever they'd like. Angels are real, we are ruled by lizard overlords, run for the hills here comes peak oil, whatever.

kenneal-lagger wrote:

We might get them under advertising standards legislation in the UK but the fines for that would be made up in a few hours of sales.

I am terribly curious now, what did they advertise about nasty fuels, other than "don't put near open flame" or "not for human consumption" and that kind of stuff?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: