PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peak Oil Graphics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Peak Oil Graphics Reply with quote

I thought it might be useful to compile a library of gifs and jpegs that we can use in our quest for wider acceptance of peak oil.

peaky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea - a book that helped change my life (yes, I know it's corny, but true Smile ) was the Gaia Atlas of Planet Management - http://www.nhbs.com/catalogue/display/t=126715. One of the things that was so good about it was that it used loads of images to get concepts over instead of replying so much on figures as the basis of a picture being worth a thousand words. I have already made a note to myself to see if I could produce my "Gaia Book of Peak Oil".

To give two examples from the GAOPM:

A page illustrating nuclear weapons in the world had a large, black, broiling mushroom cloud taking up most of the page. A grid of squares was drawn across the cloud, dividing it into perhaps a couple of hundred squares (I'm at work, so I'm guessing). One square was filled in. Underneath the cloud it said something close to "The filled square represents all the destructive power unleashed by humans so far, all the wars including WWI & WW2, Hiroshima & Nagasaki. The total number of squares represents the destructive power currently available in arsenals around the world." To say I was shocked Shocked was an understatement.

Another had pictures of a fleet of 747s flying along with the seats replaced by coffins and it explained that the number of people in the world dying each day from hunger and hunger related diseases was equivalent to 65 full jumbo jets crashing every day".

The information in that book affected me like few others and I think a Peak Oil version could be very effective.
PowerSwitchJames

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of useful charts here
http://wolf.readinglitho.co.uk/mainpages/chartlist.html

'Being green is not what you think, it is what you do.'
DamianB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DamianB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DamianB wrote:

This is a tactic I dont like! Look at the left scale. I get IMMEDIATELY suspicious when it dont start at zero. Overdramatization really undermine the message.
Totally_Baffled

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am i right in thinking that offshore fields decline faster than onshore fields?

Is this because it is harder to use EOR techniques?

Or is it in the economics?, ie its so expensive offshore that you have to produce quick and pull out fast (oo er that sounds a bit rude!) Laughing

Ps Naughty Naughty Damien , one of my pet hates, using graph scales that dont start at zero!!! You can make any trend look dramatic if you dont start the axis at zero!!!!! *Slaps wrists** Smile

Peak oil? ahhh smeg..... Sad
DamianB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: non zero graph - fair enough. Embarassed
DamianB
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I split off the onshore/offshore question to a new thread:

http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1026
newmac
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think this one from lifeaftertheoilcrash.net has a massive visual effect.

genoxy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newmac wrote:
I still think this one from lifeaftertheoilcrash.net has a massive visual effect.

Yepp, so did Hubbert - apparently was his favourite one Cool
skeptik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Peak Oil condiments Reply with quote

One for the doomers.... Peak Oil Condiments

Can remeber where I pickd this one up. Its not my copyright. Do not use commercially
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Campaign ideas & experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: