PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on wasp nests

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuzzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Advice on wasp nests Reply with quote

Last year we had wasps in a shed. I would have left them but they got crazy in late summer, so I couldn't get in the shed. This year they are in a kitchen roof void, via a gap in the plastic roof trim. They are are on the other side of plasterboard, but they are noisy at times and I wonder of the consequences. Presumably it deters mice, rats etc.

Do they return annually?

Do they damage anything inside?

If they are dormant, is there a time I could block the entrance up?

Would they find a new, worse, exit?
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasps generally eat wood and leaf matter to digest and make their nests. Internet (admittedly from a pest control company) say they also eat plaster and presumably plasterboard

Edit

We had a wasp's nest in our kitchen wall. Moth killer puffed straight into the flight hole killed them completely after 2 applications. A lot cheaper than professional call out

Edit

We left a nest in a wood pile in the garden alone
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If wasps are causing a significant nuisance, then I feel that the moderate and targeted use of modern chemical insecticide is justified.

Foam based wasp killer in an aerosol type can is available. The material emerges from the can in a solid jet of foam, not as a spray. This may be directed at the entrance to the wasp nest from a safeish distance.
As the pests burrow through the foam it kills them by contact.

Keep pets and livestock away. Take a shower and launder clothes after use of this wasp killer.

If the problem is really serious then you may need to engage a pest control company. They use a fire extinguisher filled with wasp killing foam mixture instead of fire fighting foam solution.

Suggest a fleabay search for "Rentokil wasp killing foam"
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modest numbers of wasps may be destroyed without chemicals by use of electric insect killers.
These use an ultraviolet lamp to attract flying insects which are then killed by a high voltage metal grid.

I would be very doubtful about cheap electric insect killers, poor quality, ineffective, power wasting, and sometimes unsafe.

A secondhand unit from say an industrial kitchen might be better. The special ultraviolet lamps loose their effectiveness in time even if still lit.
Replace if in doubt.

If targeting wasps rather than flying insects in general, then replacing the supplied ultraviolet fluorescent lamp with a bright green one is very effective. Bright green seems to attract wasps.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasps like bees go home to bed at night. Wait until an hour after sundown and you can plug the hole and trap them all. (if they only have one hole). I'd dose the hole with wasp killer as well but that is just my preference. For a nest hanging from the underside of a deck I have waited till dark and slid a plastic bag over the whole nest and pinched it off. taken away from the house and added a half cup of gasoline and a match. Crispy nasty critters.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bees are killed by the fumes of petrol so I would think that wasps would be the same. A few drops of petrol in a plastic bag should do the trick without the flames. Flames can be fun though!!
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bee careful you don't set the woods on fire. Smile
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/01/tree-thieves-tried-burn-bee-nest-they-started-forest-fire-that-ravaged-acres-protected-land-feds-say/
GalebG4M

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not the cleanest way to do it, but I usually go with chemical insecticides when there's a wasp nest inside of my house or in the shed. Gasmask on, and strike in the dead of night, when they're sleeping! The process when I'm doing it outside is more refined: it's still insecticide based, but I put first the nest in a large rubbish bag and then spray the insectiide in the bag. Close, let rest for a day, dispose of it.

But in any case, I've got a personal vendetta against wasps and hornets. They're aggressive, unpleasant little things and I exterminate then as soon as I locate the nest... especially because they're attacking my bees and don't let them harvest pollen as they'd like to.
Catweazle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raid is nerve gas for wasps. A good squirt up the entrance hole and come back the next day. I did it last weekend when I found a nest in my outdoor pool table.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Permaculture All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: