PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Labour Party Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little John

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been reported that the new "group" which left Labour before they could be deselected is being financed by what can only be described as a shell company called "Gemini A Ltd" formed by Gavin Shuker in January.

It appears "The Independent Group" have not registered as a political party in order to subvert the rules regarding political donations, by funneling money through a private company, in much the same way that Chuka Umunna does with his various "think tanks".

I suspect transparency would reveal other shell companies making donations on behalf of Blair, Lord Sainsbury and the usual gang hell bent on feathering their own nests by political means.

Oh, and guess what... The website is registered in Panama, famous for dodgy banks accounts and tax avoidance.

Company Number 11770529

As I said... scum
fuzzy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely agree. It would help also if the green party could split into those who actually give a damn about the planet, and the mumsnet focus group baby farmers.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another labour MP, Joan Ryan, has resigned and joined the new independent group which now numbers 8.
They cited anti Semitism within the labour party as the main reason for their departure.
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://web.archive.org/web/20190219221439/https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2019/feb/19/steve-bell-on-the-seven-mps-who-have-resigned-from-labour-cartoon
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Written before the latest defection:
Craig Murray: Democracy and the Corrupt Seven

Craig Murray wrote:
At some stage they will have to form a new party, in order to get airtime in elections. At what stage Blair declares for them is an interesting question. It is also a crucial test of just how horribly degraded the Lib Dems have now become. My old friend Charlie Kennedy will be spinning in his grave at an alliance with the Blairite warmonger faction, but the modern party appears bereft of any of the old Liberal values, cleared away by Clegg and his fellow orange Tories. If the party members do not revolt at association with Mike Gapes and Angela Smith, it really is time to wind the party up.

That the Corrupt Seven are some of the most unpleasant people in British politics is not entirely relevant, nor is the question of which interest groups are funding them. They are just an emission of puss, a symptom of the rottenness of the British body politic. They have nothing interesting to say and are feeble tools of the wealthy, thrown out as protection for a crumbling political system. The end of the UK is not pretty, and this is one of its uglier moments.

See also Jonathan Cook's tweet
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three conservative MPs have joined the eight labour MPs in the new independent group.

(and yes, I know that this thread is meant to be about the labour party, but I put the news here as it started with the labour party.)
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, I would think, would render all of then unelectable in the future.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the ex-tories is my local MP. Having listened to her and seen her voting record, it always surprised me that she wanted to be associated with an organisation like the Tory party in the first place. A decent woman who happens to be from a privileged background who is prepared to say what she finds wrong with the world and act on it within the limits of her powers.

It would be interesting to see if she survives as MP at the next election. I fear she has far too much integrity.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Independents don't do well in a FPTP system - surely they know this?

And the rough groupings in the FPTP don't really allow for another group without sowing confusion. I mean, Labour is right of centre, LibDems right of that, Cons further right, then the loony loony right. Where will these indos fit in, in the general population's mind?
Little John

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are deep state bought up establishment shills who know their political careers in their respective parties are coming to an end in any event. They have been paid off to split the Labour party and keep them out of office for a generation, much as the gang of four did in the seventies. Additionally, they are going to act in direct opposition to the people and do whatever it takes to keep Brexit from happening.

Whether they have been bought up overtly or have simply been given an offer of support via their panama offshore accounts they could not refuse and have decided to take the money and not ask questions is kind of irrelevant. The outcome is the same.

Time will tell how much damage they do to the democratic body politic. What happens to them personally is irrelevant. They will get their hour in the sun. But, that is all they will get.

Last edited by Little John on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
They are deep state bought up establishment shills who know their political careers in their respective parties are coming to an end in any event. They have been paid off to (a) split the Labour party and keep them out of office for a generation, much as the gang of four did in the seventies.

Very Happy More surprising things have happened.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another labour MP, Ian Austin, has left the labour party, citing anti Semitism as his main reason for so doing, rather than Brexit.

Unlike the previous defectors, he has stated that he does not intend to join the new independent group.
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These scumbags are not MP's anymore. They are an unelected private company squatting in parliament and we, the people, have a right to know how much money is in their offshore Panama account and who are their donors.
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
These scumbags are not MP's anymore. They are an unelected private company squatting in parliament and we, the people, have a right to know how much money is in their offshore Panama account and who are their donors.

Jonathan Cook provides some telling insight. Israel features prominently.
Jonathan Cook wrote:
Anti-semitism has turned out to be the most useful – and damaging – weapon to wield against the Labour leader for a variety of reasons close to the hearts of the holdouts from the Blair era, who still dominate the parliamentary party and parts of the Labour bureaucracy.

Perhaps most obviously, the Blairite wing of the party is still primarily loyal to a notion that Britain should at all costs maintain its transatlantic alliance with the United States in foreign policy matters. Israel is a key issue for those on both sides of the Atlantic who see that state as a projection of Western power into the oil-rich Middle East and romanticise Israel as a guarantor of Western values in a “barbaric” region.

Corbyn’s prioritising of Palestinian rights threatens to overturn a core imperial value to which the Blairites cling

Jonathan Cook: Anti-semitism is cover for a much deeper divide in the Labour Party
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having a slanging match with the "Corbyn is an anti-Semite" lobby on Facebook. Apparently being anti Zionist is to be an anti-Semite. If you support any rights for Palestinians you are an anti-Semite so I can see where Corbyn's problems come from.

This from someone who I have known for well over ten years -

Quote:
Ken this is disgusting poison. It is blood libellous slander and completely out of order. You are a complete anti-Semite and I’ve had enough of your racist ill- informed views. I’m going to block you.

This because I complained about the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians and the theft of their land to build new settlements for Jews. Apparently that is all propaganda and lies.

I saw a quote from the late Sir Gerald Kaufman MP on Facebook from Another Angry Voice and I've now found it but I'm going to have to retype the whole thing

Quote:
My grandmother was ill in bed when Nazis came to her home town of Staszow. A German soldier shot her dead in her bed. My grandmother did not die to provide cover for Israeli soldiers murdering Palestinian grandmothers in Gaza. The present Israeli government ruthlessly and cynically exploit the continuing guilt among Gentiles over the slaughter of Jews in the Holocaust as justification for the murder of Palestinians. The implication is that Jewish lives are precious but the lives of Palestinians do not count.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67
Page 67 of 67

Jump to: