PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Water system improvments.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Water system improvments. Reply with quote

This winter we were annoyed by low water pressure and flow from my gravity feed spring water source. The management was understanding while there was several feet of snow on the ground but as soon as the snow was gone it was time to address the problem.
When the snow piles melted there was that one spot next to the house that did not dry up as other areas did revealing the location of the leak.
I had long anticipated upgrading the line from the house up to where I had replaced the top 900 feet some thirty years ago and even though I could just fix this one leak it was time to replace the last of the one hundred year old iron pipe between the house (and the leak) a distance of 1000 feet.
The difficulty was that the pipe line was buried up the face of a steep slope that was varied from ,three to one, to ,one to one, in cross slope. The reason I did not replace it earlier.
To do the job I rented a mini excavator from the local equipment firm and proceeded to dig a road up the old line digging down to bed rock on the left and using the spoils to build up the road on the right. Some places there was precious little earth to work with.
I had not run this machine before so had to go though the learning curve while working on a steep slope in wet and slippery conditions. I had a couple of close calls but muddled through without damage to the machine or myself.
Rain cost me a day and a half but with one daughters help unrolling the new one inch pipeline I had it all installed and working in six days.
Total cost? $675 for pipes and fittings and $1255 for the rental of the excavator. ( well worth the price).
A standard replacement well would cost about $10,000 and need power to run the pump.
I am very satisfied with myself and the management is as well.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work. I hope any joints are in accessible locations. Do you have a strategy - planning ahead, for old age? I have known plenty old builders falling off roofs etc. Have you got any sons or nephews about?
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a ball valve at the top of this section in a location that has always been well marked. The other three connectors are simple inserts that are double clamped and very unlikely to fail and of course any leak reveals itself as a wet spot on the ground.
As to old age creeping up on me I hope to be realistic about my limitations and decline, which is already apparent, and let younger workmen do the work when I can not.
I chose standing seam enameled metal roofing when I built the house which is holding up well but might need a coat of paint to get well past my lifetime. I can also see installing a propane or electric heating system to replace the wood furnace and the labor that requires, Last year we had a younger neighbor provide six cords of wood as I was working full time in the summer and had family things to do on weekends. I might repeat that as I'm getting pressure from HRH on that front.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a great mechanic but I found myself last weekend doing a complete rear brake job on my daughters Honda Accord. No local garage could get her in in less then a week and she had let it go to the point it wasn't safe to drive anyway. New rotors calipers and pads and she now has good brakes without the sound effects.
I have already stopped doing my own oil changes etc. but sometimes you just have to do it your self. But I don't miss changing a clutch on a car parked in a snow bank.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you taught her how to do it herself next time, VT.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:

That is a bridge too far with daughters. Even the Army vet. has her auto work done by a garage.
Truth be told most of their generation both male and female has no clue how to do anything for themselves if it involves putting the cell phone down and picking up a tool.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
kenneal - lagger wrote:

That is a bridge too far with daughters. Even the Army vet. has her auto work done by a garage.
Truth be told most of their generation both male and female has no clue how to do anything for themselves if it involves putting the cell phone down and picking up a tool.

I've got 2 of those types myself.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two daughters will have a go at most things DIY and building but I think that they would draw the line at autowork, changing a tyre aside.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat tires (American spelling) are not as common as they used to be and many younger Americans have never changed one and don't even know where the jack and wrench is stored. They call AAA and wait for the service truck.
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Flat tires (American spelling) are not as common as they used to be and many younger Americans have never changed one and don't even know where the jack and wrench is stored. They call AAA and wait for the service truck.

I told the daughter that this was the "backup plan". Then I handed her the keys to the car in the garage after I let all the air out of one of the tire. We did the whole thing, pulling out the manual, finding out where the jack and wrench were, her having to stand on it to break the nuts loose, she was sweating by the time she got the car lifted, and then dirty and sweaty after getting the tire off and back on, but by the time she was done, she couldn't claim to be ignorant of how.

Last edited by ReserveGrowthRulz on Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went through that with all three of my girls. It has served them well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: