PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What (if anything) do you plan to stockpile for Brexit?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mikepepler
Site Admin


Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 2924
Location: Rye, UK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
If your using an electric saw you will find it doubly important to keep it razor sharp. Avoid cutting any wood that has been dragged through the dirt and certainly never let it touch the ground at the end of a cut. I've found a" Dremel "rotary tool makes sharpening quick and easy and you can get stones to fit any pitch (size ) chain.

Indeed! Important not just because if the lower power output compared to a petrol saw, but also for battery life. Same is true for a petrol saw of course, but you don't notice how much extra fuel you pour in in the same way as you notice the lights on the battery indicator dropping...
_________________
Mike

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 5236
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it comes down to a minute spent filing saves two minutes sawing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
emordnilap



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Posts: 14526
Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikepepler wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
If your using an electric saw you will find it doubly important to keep it razor sharp. Avoid cutting any wood that has been dragged through the dirt and certainly never let it touch the ground at the end of a cut. I've found a" Dremel "rotary tool makes sharpening quick and easy and you can get stones to fit any pitch (size ) chain.

Indeed! Important not just because if the lower power output compared to a petrol saw, but also for battery life. Same is true for a petrol saw of course, but you don't notice how much extra fuel you pour in in the same way as you notice the lights on the battery indicator dropping...


Very well put.
_________________
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 7181
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am stocking up on American Bourbon whiskey, not due to Brexit but because an estimated 45,000 barrels of the product have been destroyed in a huge warehouse fire in the USA.

Price rises and shortages seem probable.

I don't even like it ! but two regular visitors do enjoy it.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 5236
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
I am stocking up on American Bourbon whiskey, not due to Brexit but because an estimated 45,000 barrels of the product have been destroyed in a huge warehouse fire in the USA.

Price rises and shortages seem probable.

I don't even like it ! but two regular visitors do enjoy it.
That is only 2.6% of Kentucky's yearly production so considering how long they age it in barrels I doubt you will see much effect to price or supply. One of the cheaper brands so perhaps a boost to the small batch top end producers.
https://kybourbon.com/bourbon_culture-2/key_bourbon_facts/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fuzzy



Joined: 29 Nov 2013
Posts: 902
Location: The Marches, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm partial to Wild Turkey, but JB does nothing for me - except a bad head.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 5236
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
I'm partial to Wild Turkey, but JB does nothing for me - except a bad head.
For bourbon and branch and other mixed drinks I like Jack Daniel's "Old No. 7" But for sippin whiskey or straight shots its" Makers mark" or "Knob Creek". But compared to my beer consumption the whiskey inventory is of little consequence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group