PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Holmgren: A Baby Boomer's Apology

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: David Holmgren: A Baby Boomer's Apology Reply with quote

Here's one to discuss...

BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: David Holmgren: A Baby Boomer's Apology Reply with quote

raspberry-blower wrote:
Here's one to discuss...

Very thought provoking and just what I needed to read on a Sunday morning.

I am not a boomer myself but I am just beginning to feel the trappings of wealth, the mortgage is almost paid off and I am now beginning to accumulate serious wealth and also give serious thoughts to preparation. I am not sure where the line between a personal apology and a group or collective apology should be drawn by David Holmgren.

In our family only my sister is a boomer. My parents are, or were born too early and my brother and i were born too late. I have my doubts about whether boomers are the major source of resource depletion and certainly not in their twenties and thirties. I don't think air travel or even mass car ownership was big until probably the mid seventies and these are something which later generations have taken on with gusto. Also rampant consumerism has only really taken a hold since the seventies. I take the example of what plug in electrical devices were in my bedroom before I was 11 and went to secondary school at the start of the 1980s. It was a bed side light and that was it. Bedrooms were sparse back then.
A clock radio followed which is what I took to university (for the first time in the UK) at the end of the 1980s. By that time a lot of kids had a TV, stereo and even a personal computer in their rooms as well. Now we have X Boxes, phone and iPad charges as well and the double plug outlet in a bedroom really struggles to cope with all the powered devices.
These devices are invariably made abroad, consume finite resources and contribute to the trade deficit.

I suppose my point is that I am not really envious of the accumulated wealth of the boomers because I am getting there myself. Due to mass consumerism and miniaturisation of electronics which didn't really start until 1980 the boomers had the chance to accumulate wealth early whereas the generations following did not. Basically the Gen XYZ spent it all on crap imports and passing fads - they started spending earlier and spent more. Let's not get started on the effect of low interest rates on house prices.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but, worth remembering that around half of today's carbon emissions are due to just the wealthiest 10% of global population (not a perfect match for baby boomers, but not far off) and, fully half of all post industrial revolution emissions have occurred since around 1990 - the last 30 years. The older boomers didn't contribute so much to this... on average the boomer generation, is just a little to early to be the most impactful. Those in their 40s and 50s today probably had more negative impact - and did so largely since scientific evidence was clear post 1990. Can't claim the ignorance those in their 70s can about their 1960s and '70s emissions.
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
Yes, but, worth remembering that around half of today's carbon emissions are due to just the wealthiest 10% of global population (not a perfect match for baby boomers, but not far off) and, fully half of all post industrial revolution emissions have occurred since around 1990 - the last 30 years.

Hmm, wasn't that around the time we had the Brundtland Report and the UN committed to "Sustainable Development?

About time to admit this is an abject failure as a far as its stated aims are and a more radical approach is required - starting off with TEQs and replace agricultural subsidies to replace industrial farming with Agroecology and Permaculture
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Permaculture All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: