PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forget Peak OIl ... the insects are dying out
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortex2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Forget Peak OIl ... the insects are dying out Reply with quote

Quote:
The world’s insects are hurtling down the path to extinction, threatening a “catastrophic collapse of nature’s ecosystems”, according to the first global scientific review.

More than 40% of insect species are declining and a third are endangered, the analysis found. The rate of extinction is eight times faster than that of mammals, birds and reptiles. The total mass of insects is falling by a precipitous 2.5% a year, according to the best data available, suggesting they could vanish within a century.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/10/plummeting-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature

Without insects I think we might have a teeny weeny problem ....
careful_eugene

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Forget Peka OIl ... the insects are dying out Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
Quote:
The world’s insects are hurtling down the path to extinction, threatening a “catastrophic collapse of nature’s ecosystems”, according to the first global scientific review.

More than 40% of insect species are declining and a third are endangered, the analysis found. The rate of extinction is eight times faster than that of mammals, birds and reptiles. The total mass of insects is falling by a precipitous 2.5% a year, according to the best data available, suggesting they could vanish within a century.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/10/plummeting-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature

Without insects I think we might have a teeny weeny problem ....

Yes, makes everything else seem insignificant. Also, insects were meant to be a future source of protein so a double whammy.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the most worrying changes over recent decades and it's going to get much worse in coming decades. Hard to exaggerate how bad this is.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think that mankind would totally eff up but a redoubt or two of well equipped eco survivors would maintain the gene pool.

With this sort of development those survivors will have their redoubts full of AI and computerised archives ... but outside there will just be a very silent, hot, dried out wasteland.
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not many years ago when you'd go on a drive and your windscreen would soon be 'splattered' by all sorts of little creatures.....
These days, you get virtually nothing......., 'nature' will soon only exist in a zoo...., and then not at all.....
All very depressing......
Lord Beria3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's focus on the important stuff... Brexit!

Seriously, very worrying development.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've long complained about the rooting up of hedgerows to create bigger fields. Hedgerows were an important insect habitat as were gardens and rough, undisturbed land.

Add in tarring/concreting over driveways for the countless houses that have no parking space.

Add in road building over the decades.

Add in (in this country, at least) the focus on animal farming, creating green deserts.

Add in farming on 'marginal' land. Rolling Eyes

Add in the obvious - pesticides, herbicides, rodenticides, insecticides, choose your 'cide'.

Add in mono cropping.

Add in climate change.

Add in rainforest destruction.

Add in air and water pollution.

And so on and so forth.

It doesn't matter whether one, all or other of the above is/are responsible, it's the cumulative effect of humanity's actions.

The sooner we're forced to cut back on consumption the better it'll be for all life.

Last edited by emordnilap on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, the lunatic liberals would have it that human overpopulation is not the root of the problem and that we should all hold hands and sing Kumbaya in a rainbow coloured border-less world.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, any report forecasting the end of insects is unduly doomerish, and I am in general a bit of a doomer.
Insects breed rapidly and can evolve to suit changed conditions more quickly than large and longer lived animals.

Most insects prosper in warmer climates and I would expect global warming to increase insect populations in many places.

Not long ago I recall a report forecasting an increase in tropical insect pests in the UK, with an increase in cases of malaria and other diseases spread by tropical insects.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I read an article which suggested that Home Superior would be AI based.

Perhaps this will come true : electronic hardware can suffer climate extremes better than we can, and their food is essentially electricity.

The teleological principle could indeed result in a transition from carbon based life to silicon based life.

Our descendants won't even need filters on their fans ... there won't be any insects to clag up their systems.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Insects breed rapidly and can evolve to suit changed conditions more quickly than large and longer lived animals.

...assuming you don't exterminate a species, of course.
Little John

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
Years ago I read an article which suggested that Home Superior would be AI based.

Perhaps this will come true : electronic hardware can suffer climate extremes better than we can, and their food is essentially electricity.

The teleological principle could indeed result in a transition from carbon based life to silicon based life.

Our descendants won't even need filters on their fans ... there won't be any insects to clag up their systems.
A techno-fantasist fairy-tale that is not even remotely likely to happen I am afraid.

Our future is in the mud, not in the stars or inside a silicon chip.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Our future is in the mud, not in the stars or inside a silicon chip.

OUR future may be in the mud.

However if mankind survives another 50 years then who knows?

Genetic engineering, AI, discovery of alien life ... we could well be in space or roboticised or bio-modified or even replaced by AI.

All totally imaginable.

(FWIW I have a Deep Learning "AI" PC just behind me)
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and we’ll have flying cars, too-cheap-to-meter nuclear fusion and an eight-hour working week.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, and we’ll have flying cars, too-cheap-to-meter nuclear fusion and an eight-hour working week.

* Flying cars already exist - several firms have prototypes

* Nuclear fusion will arrive eventually. For example, the efficiency of laser pellet fusion was increased by 300% recently ... using Deep Learning to optimise the design.

* I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with an average 8-hour working week soon enough. We will have the 1% top rich, the 10% of techies etc to support them ... and then The Proles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: