PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Seneca effect (cliff)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Internet backbone failure could throw a country back into the Dark Ages within a week or so.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
An Internet backbone failure could throw a country back into the Dark Ages within a week or so.

Only as long as it took to fix the problem whatever it might be. It could certainly snarl up transportation of people and goods for a while though.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... not so sure ...

Within say 2 or 3 years when almost ALL systems, personal, corporate and governmental run over the Internet then a comms failure ... or a bomb at TH (I won't elaborate on the initials) could cause a very long term failure.

How can you organise repairs etc if the phones etc don't work? Or if society is collapsing due to power cuts and water supply failures, and dead ATMs and tills and fuel pumps? (Don't forget : no email or phones during all this)
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
Hmmm ... not so sure ...

Within say 2 or 3 years when almost ALL systems, personal, corporate and governmental run over the Internet then a comms failure ... or a bomb at TH (I won't elaborate on the initials) could cause a very long term failure.

How can you organise repairs etc if the phones etc don't work? Or if society is collapsing due to power cuts and water supply failures, and dead ATMs and tills and fuel pumps? (Don't forget : no email or phones during all this)

It's an interesting scenario - but look at how 'well' places like Iraq, Syria, Ukraine etc cope - even with multiple bombs going off, the power grid highly 'intermittent' they do manage to keep the show on the road, after a fashion. I used to think the UK grid was incredibly fragile, I think I was too pessimistic, it's probably more robust than I thought.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that places like Syria and Iraq rely quite so much on supermarkets as we do in the west and they are completely reliant on computers and electricity for stock and temperature control tight through a very long food chain.

The use of mobile phones in such places for reordering means that they are less reliant on a perfectly functional grid as mobile phone towers, and the phones themselves, can be powered by solar or wind with a battery backup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: