PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ecohousers : IR thermometer at Lidl - about £12 !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Ecohousers : IR thermometer at Lidl - about £12 ! Reply with quote

Lidl special : decent hi tech hand held IR thermometer currently on offer at about £12.

Check the temp of walls, windows, ceilings simply by pointing the laser dot and reading the display. Measures continuously.

Can be setup to beep if temp is outside a certain range : to locate draughts.

Note : Turn on and off every 10 munutes to force a recal. It's reference drifts a bit over time. Maybe unit warming up?
woodburner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or this for £10. There’s even one for £5.29.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a FLIR camera mail order from the good ole USofA for the equivalent of around 350 pounds here in Australia. Excellent for telling where the wall insulation is deficient on a roaring hot summers day. It just glows red. I even get the taxman to reduce my taxes by $45 a year to help pay for it.

I calibrate the 'old' IR thermometers by pointing at the back of my hand. If it is not 30 or 31degC then either it is not working or I am not working and have the flu.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a temperature above normal, it may be symptoms of “a flu like illness” but it is unlikely to be flu.

As an aside, I can’t remember the name of the medic in Australia who is known as something like “Dr Swine Flu” as he manufactures the data to make people think there is an epidemic, when there isn’t.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A note on infrared thermometers. Those that I have worked with are color sensitive. so if pointed to something colored black could tell you exactly how much the black object was changing temperature but if then pointed at something white would have a considerable margin of error until re calibrated for that color. Not a problem to say? Try reading pavement temperatures in the winter when at the critical time snow cover changes the road color from dark grey to white. Shocked
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
A note on infrared thermometers. Those that I have worked with are color sensitive. so if pointed to something colored black could tell you exactly how much the black object was changing temperature but if then pointed at something white would have a considerable margin of error until re calibrated for that color. Not a problem to say? Try reading pavement temperatures in the winter when at the critical time snow cover changes the road color from dark grey to white. Shocked

I think you are correct there. I do recall my 'old' IR thermometer having something written on the bottom about that it was calibrated for an emissivity (greek letter 'epsilon' - looks like a rounded E) of 0.95 at a certain frequency, So therefore it will read temperature correctly under those circumstances. The 'color' of the object may of course be in infrared wavelengths and so what the human eye perceives as colour may not be the same as what the thermometer perceives.

Last edited by BritDownUnder on Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
You may have a temperature above normal, it may be symptoms of “a flu like illness” but it is unlikely to be flu.

As an aside, I can’t remember the name of the medic in Australia who is known as something like “Dr Swine Flu” as he manufactures the data to make people think there is an epidemic, when there isn’t.

I was unable, in the two minutes of my life I devoted to searching this on Google, to find an Australian medic so described. I could however find a Dutch medic who 'supposedly' (or in the best language of Have I Got News For You - allegedly) exaggerated the swine flu danger and was later revealed to own ca. 10% of the shares in a flu vaccine producing company.

There you go.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Flu” is usually a misnomer. Like most people I’ve had lots of colds but had flu twice and wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemies - it’s easy to see how it could kill. Horrendous episodes in my life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: