PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proposed new nuke at Wylfa

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now Wylfa.

I reckon £5billion is just the start. You could build a fair capacity of solar and wind for the amount that's wasted on nuclear.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike the idea of foreign powers building and having de-facto control over critical infrastructure such as power stations.

I dislike the idea of the UK government building nukes, because I suspect that the costs will balloon EVEN MORE RAPIDLY than if built by the private sector.

And whilst this proposed nuke SHOULD be able to produce electricity a bit cheaper than Hinkley, It will still be very expensive if compared to wind.

Wind power should get cheaper as more is deployed and we gain from mass production and greater familiarity with the technology.
Nuclear seems to be getting more expensive as each new generation seems to be more costly and more complicated.
I cant foresee nuclear power ever being adopted on a big enough scale to bring the price down.
woodburner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it involves the Japanese. Don’t they still have problems with Fuk u..something or other?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, yesterdays news of course but the problems remain, and are hardly an advert for new nukes
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a diversity of power sources is useful. Foreign control would be in the design and possibly construction stage but would it extend to the operation stage as well?

From what I read somewhere the Japanese government has already leaked a cost north of 13 billion pounds.

PS. Anyone know how to correctly pronounce 'Wylfa'. I am thinking something like 'ul-VA'?
woodburner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right for the cost of a nuclear leak. Were they thinking of any power statiion in particular? Fuku........for example?
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Fukushima Power Plant was an earlier GE-Hitachi design. This design is for an advanced boiling water reactor.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritDownUnder wrote:
I think a diversity of power sources is useful. Foreign control would be in the design and possibly construction stage but would it extend to the operation stage as well?

From what I read somewhere the Japanese government has already leaked a cost north of 13 billion pounds.

PS. Anyone know how to correctly pronounce 'Wylfa'. I am thinking something like 'ul-VA'?

I suspect that foreign control would in practice extend to operation.
I would presume that the many computerised sub-systems would have some sort of remote shut down concealed in the software.
In time of war, international tension, or dispute, I would expect that the reactor would shut down.

The place name was pronounced "will-fa" on the TV news.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The £5billion mentioned as the UK's share presumably means Japan will indeed have to cough up at least £13billion. And then the contract will ensure the British taxpayer makes up the undoubted shortfall beyond €18billion.

If it were 'only' that, (!!!!) then it represents a huge missed investment opportunity in safe long-term power generation.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huw Whatsit on the BBC News is a Welsh speaker and he pronounces it as Willva, but with a Welsh accent of course, so that must be right.

My MP is forever telling me that governments shouldn't invest taxpayers money because they never get it right but here we go, proving him right again, I suppose. But he prides himself that always votes for the Tory government so I'll suppose that he'll plod through the lobby on their side again despite his reservations.

With the price per megawatt that the user will be paying it will be a very good investment for the government though!! Always assuming that the system will still be going by the time that it finally gets built and commissioned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Nuclear Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: