PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Bed / Temporary bed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I use to inflate our air-matress will soon be 50 years old and is still going strong. It's called my lungs!
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
I have an air-bed that's lasted for decades. But that's because I tend to treat things carefully. Those camp-beds with "w"-shaped cross-section braces holding cloth across the top are more robust, and you don't have to worry about sharp objects.

Oh yes you do have to worry about sharp objects !
I lay down on a camp bed whilst clothed, and a small screwdriver in my back pocket must have made a small hole, which rapidly became a very large hole.
I fell to earth with a crash, and then tried a blow up and burst, which burst, though not straight away.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
The thing I use to inflate our air-matress will soon be 50 years old and is still going strong. It's called my lungs!

Not such a good idea on a regular basis.
Exhaled breath contains a lot of moisture which is condensed within the air bed and not removed when it is deflated for storage.
Repeated inflation thus can result in a lot of water building up within.

Manual air pumps are cheap, and there is allways lung power for emergencies, but I would advise against regular use.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new raised bed at a friends has been tested by my considerable weight and found to be fine.

The owners kid wants that room with the raised bed "now that the big bloke has tested it"
The kid thought that it would fall down "because dad made it instead of buying a proper one from Argos"
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update re above.
A second bedroom in the same home is now equiped with a home built bunk bed, for use of one of the kids.

Normally only the upper bunk is used for sleeping. The lower bunk is equiped with a standard mattress over which is placed a suitable plywood panel so as to form a tabletop or workbench. This overhangs about 250mm at the front, and the back is slotted into a groove, so as to ensure stability. The overhang at the front is required for comfort if seated at the table, so as to get ones legs underneath.
The frame is built mainly of reclaimed timber from a house that was being knocked down. Mostly used as fire wood , but some was worth re-use.

Not much use of bottom bunk is expected, but it is useful thing to have in case of visitors.

An unexpected benifit of the raised sleeping areas has been a fuel saving, it is said to be noticably warmer higher up, and the heating has been turned of as a result.
JohnB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
An unexpected benifit of the raised sleeping areas has been a fuel saving, it is said to be noticably warmer higher up, and the heating has been turned of as a result.

Every time I stand up when I have my stove going, I wonder why seats and beds aren't as close to the ceiling as possible!

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
the_lyniezian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a cheapo air-bed from Go Outdoors I took with me down to London for the SPEAK gathering last February- stupid foot-pump mechanism which takes ages to do anything (it's basically a valve you cover with your foot to stop air escaping) and has difficulty staying airtight- but it's miles better than the dreadful foam-rubber roll mat I'd used hitherto.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth revisiting this thread to warn of the potential perils of cheap bunk beds.
Neighbours have grandchildren staying with them for a few day. A bunk bed collapsed and could have injured anyone in the bottom bed.

A child was in the upper bunk and was startled by a pet cat, the sudden movement caused the side rail of the upper bed to break and resulted in the base of the upper bed falling onto the lower bed which was fortunately empty.
The child suffered concussion , a broken wrist and cuts and bruises.
The cat was unhurt but frightened and has not entered that room since.

The child is tall and stout for his age, but still lighter in weight than an average adult, looks like defective materials used in construction.

I have loaned a folding camp bed as a temporary measure.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My children went through several cheap bunk and cabin beds as they grew. Each went into my spare wood store or the wood burner in turn. I don't think any of them collapsed, but none survived unscathed.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The child is tall and stout for his age, but still lighter in weight than an average adult, looks like defective materials used in construction. "

The kid in question has read this and has asked me to make it clear that the apparently defective materials were used in the construction of the bunk bed.
And NOT in the construction of the victim Smile

Weight of child 36 kilos
Weight of pet cat 5 kilos

No safe working load stated, but I would expect that a standard bunk bed should be able to reliably support a person of at LEAST 90 kilos, this being the weight of a heavier than average adult.
Bunk bed was from Argos, some years ago but it had seen very little use.
mikepepler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread started years ago I've bought an Exped Megamat 10.
http://www.exped.com/uk-ireland/en/product-category/mats/megamat-10-lxw-ruby-red

It wasn't cheap, at about £150, but really is as comfortable as a good quality normal mattress, is durable and partially self-inflating. The downside is it's fairly bulky, even when rolled up tight, but for use as a spare bed at home or when going camping with the car it's ideal. I got it for camping in the woods and also using when running a stall at wood fairs, where I'm camping but have to work hard each day, so have to be sure of a good night's sleep.

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: