PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Optimum size for new home
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sorry hear that Adam. Glad it wasn't more serious and repairs are manageable.

I've read a bit about the dangers of malfunctioning Li batteries. These days there are literally 10s of million phones, tablets and laptops, left on charge overnight, under beds, on sofas etc where a couple of decades ago there were ~none. Have we seen a dramatic increase in house fires?

Maybe less smoking (number one cause), less cooking, especially deep fat frying (anyone still have a chip pan?) and better regulations regarding flammable furniture etc have more than offset the new risk posed by Li batteries?

In fact, fire deaths haven been on a long term downward trend, 775 in 1981-82 when comparable figures started being collected to under 300 today (in England).
Little John

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a deep fat frying pan.

I am northern.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A local fire officer whom I know states that the number of domestic fires has remained roughly the same for many years, but the number of lives lost has been much reduced by the general use of smoke alarms.

A growing cause of fire in North Somerset is incorrectly installed or carelessly used wood stoves.
Drying laundry too close to the stove, chimney fires, and the ignition of firewood placed too close to the stove are common causes of fire.

The general use of polyester duvets and pillows instead of wool blankets and feather pillows was also noted as an increased risk.
Defective, poor quality, or misused extension leads are an increasing cause of fire.
Outdoor fires started by barbecues are a growing problem, these sometimes spread to houses or other buildings.

Fires due to smoking materials and from cooking have indeed declined. Fewer people cook at home, especially after drinking, due to the number of fast food outlets available.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the dog gets a attah-boy and some first class steak kibble. Very Happy
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
I hope the dog gets a attah-boy and some first class steak kibble. Very Happy

He was kept at the vets for observation and treatment but is now back home, and receiving various treats including venison.

Replacement floor joists have been delivered to replace the ones damaged by fire, and new floor boards.
Considerable stocks of clothing and bedding though not damaged by fire smell of smoke, 50 ? loads of laundry to be done !

Most of the contents of the living area will need replacing, contents of other rooms mainly OK, IF the smell of smoke can be removed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: