PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grid Cyberattack risk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Electrical, Theory and Practice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press reports suggest that the risk of a cyber attack on UK infrastructure including the national grid may be much increased and/or imminent, due to events overseas.

It would be well to review ones preps for the consequences of any such attack.
And also perhaps to keep ones eyes open for any preliminary indications that any such attack is underway.

Warning this thread is NOT the place to argue about the merits or otherwise of military action in Syria or elsewhere.
Such posts are liable to be deleted

Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Press reports suggest that the risk of a cyber attack on UK infrastructure including the national grid may be much increased and/or imminent, due to events overseas.

It would be well to review ones preps for the consequences of any such attack.
And also perhaps to keep ones eyes open for any preliminary indications that any such attack is underway.

Warning this thread is NOT the place to argue about the merits or otherwise of military action in Syria or elsewhere.
Such posts are liable to be deleted

They always mention the national grid to put the fear of god and shivering in the dark into everybody whilst it is unlikely to be a successful target for reasons already mentioned here before.

If you wanted to chose a more likely target to produce mayhem you do not need a PhD in cyber-security to realise that the financial "system" rather suggests itself as a prime candidate.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see how any such attach would progress.

This large scale grid-wide communications is not something I have experience of. My experience is limited to that of individual power plants and protection systems of individual generators and their auxiliary systems. In my experience most generator protection systems are manufactured in the US and seem fairly secure. I have never seen a Russian or Chinese system and am never likely to see one. It is is possible to communicate with the remotely and reprogram things like trip settings, current levels and the like but most times it is just too hard to do.

Any potential hacker may have more success in trying to hack into the Modbus-like communications system that transfers data from individual power units to the control system on a higher scale. How this could be done I have no idea.

Finally there may be a possibility of hacking into the National Grid control system. How this would be done I would have no idea. If this system is linked to the internet in any way it would a weakness. I would expect there them to have their own network separated from the rest of the world.

I would think that they would have better chance by having someone on the inside. I once had the unpleasurable experience of working in Queensland with a Saudi citizen of Pakistani descent who was a thoroughly nasty individual who hated Australia in every way, and I often wonder why he migrated here. After I left that company when I found out that he had got a job in the Queensland Grid control centre I was gobsmacked at the lack of security checks made. No doubt there are people such as this in the UK National Grid who the Russians could employ.

I suppose that a small attack at a vulnerable point could have a cascading effect and bring down a large part of the grid particularly if timed when there was a period of high demand. Given winter is now over this chance may have passed.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our PV roof packed up on Friday and I'm very suspicious...
Automaton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritDownUnder wrote:
No doubt there are people such as this in the UK National Grid who the Russians could employ.

Why would the Russians bother? Nothing in it for them at this time. Surely any interference is more likely to come from the same people as those behind the Skripal farce... gotta keep up the Russophobia after all... this is just the latest nonsense.

RenewableCandy wrote:
Our PV roof packed up on Friday and I'm very suspicious...

Quick! Tell the Daily Mail!!!
Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Electrical, Theory and Practice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: