PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Update on Peak Oil

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lord Beria3



Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 4336
Location: Moscow Russia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Update on Peak Oil Reply with quote

https://www.financialsense.com/perfect-energy-storm

The FS team do a great podcast on why peak oil never went away and the dynamics within the global oil market.

They cover the alleged "peak demand" story, the massive rise of US shale oil and the unreported fact that depletion rates are now 6%.

Summary: a major supply crunch is looming in 2/3 years (even if there is a recession next year which is considered likely).
_________________
Peace always has been and always will be an intermittent flash of light in a dark history of warfare, violence, and destruction
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lord Beria3



Joined: 25 Feb 2009
Posts: 4336
Location: Moscow Russia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on peak oil and the wider global economy...

http://www.postcarbon.org/the-end-of-growth-seven-years-later/

Update on shale oil and tight oil...

http://www.postcarbon.org/the-problem-with-eia-shale-gas-and-tight-oil-forecasts/
_________________
Peace always has been and always will be an intermittent flash of light in a dark history of warfare, violence, and destruction
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
johnhemming2



Joined: 30 Jun 2015
Posts: 2160

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is always a useful tool for looking back
https://www.iea.org/oilmarketreport/omrpublic/

What happened just over 10 years ago was the conventional peak which was accompanied with a price spike and continual removals from stocks.

This could have started in early 2017, but I think it is too soon to tell.

I think it is extractors limits rather than geological limits that are key at the moment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 4839
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:


I think it is extractors limits rather than geological limits that are key at the moment.
Was that not always the case and prediction?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnhemming2



Joined: 30 Jun 2015
Posts: 2160

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the period 2005-10 I think the geological limits were most important in the sense of a peaking of conventional oil.

In terms of this history of carbon based fuels (starting with wood and charcoal) we have moved into an era where the sources are harder to obtain rather than more convenient.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 4839
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:
In the period 2005-10 I think the geological limits were most important in the sense of a peaking of conventional oil.

In terms of this history of carbon based fuels (starting with wood and charcoal) we have moved into an era where the sources are harder to obtain rather than more convenient.

I would place that point near 1980 and the development of the North sea oil fields and deep water exploration.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
johnhemming2



Joined: 30 Jun 2015
Posts: 2160

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
johnhemming2 wrote:
In the period 2005-10 I think the geological limits were most important in the sense of a peaking of conventional oil.

In terms of this history of carbon based fuels (starting with wood and charcoal) we have moved into an era where the sources are harder to obtain rather than more convenient.

I would place that point near 1980 and the development of the North sea oil fields and deep water exploration.

It is true that the events of the 70s speeded up going for the North Sea and Deep Water.

However, I think the main cause now is geology rather the politics.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group